Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

low rise HB

741 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  HTFR 
#1 ·
why do you use low-rise handlebars? what are it's advantages?

#5 ·
I have an 05 66rc on my vp free. This means that my front is so raked out that it makes it hard to use as a full on freeride bike.

If I use low rise Handlebars on my bike will that be the same as switching to a fork that has a lower ride height?

#6 ·
mtnryder56 said:
I have an 05 66rc on my vp free. This means that my front is so raked out that it makes it hard to use as a full on freeride bike.

If I use low rise Handlebars on my bike will that be the same as switching to a fork that has a lower ride height?
no, not really..... b/c your HA is still slack as piss so lower bars changes nothing. and usually freeride guys like riser bars

#8 ·
I find that lower / wider bars seem to make it easier to lift the front of the bike (like try a manual). The width certainly makes it feel more stable (I'm talking 710 wide which is plenty wide for me). Really the best way to learn is to try different set ups.

#9 ·
I am pondering switching up my Diety riser bars over to their Dirty-Thirty's, which have significantly less rise. My reasoning makes sense to me, but what about you guys? Right now I feel I need to cut my steer tube lower in order to lower my cockpit, but I am getting a Kind Devo 1 1/8 - 1.5, and it has a larger stack height than my Sunline reducer. I do not really want to cut the steer tube, as I have already cut it once. I figured if I went with the lower rise bars, it would essentially be the same as cutting my steer tube to shorten the bar height?. correct???

P.S- I do not want to run spacers in the top of my stem. It is a Straitline and has an odd shaped top cap.

#10 ·
Yes pretty much, if you change your bars you should lose 30mm in height (going from 50mm rise 2014's to 20mm rise 30's) which would be equivalent to cutting the steerer by the same amount.
And then if you feel your bars are still a tad too high well you still have the option of cutting the steerer. Just don't sell your other bars straight away in case you don't like the new set up for some reason.

#12 ·
ducktape said:
Yes pretty much, if you change your bars you should lose 30mm in height (going from 50mm rise 2014's to 20mm rise 30's) which would be equivalent to cutting the steerer by the same amount.
And then if you feel your bars are still a tad too high well you still have the option of cutting the steerer. Just don't sell your other bars straight away in case you don't like the new set up for some reason.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts! :thumbsup:

#13 ·
mtnryder56 said:

I think this fork has spacers that can be moved from the top of the spring to the bottom of the lowers to reduce the travel or lower it. If your fork is 170mm now it would be droped to 150mm. This would get your Geo where you need it.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.