Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rachel Atherton meets car :(

3K views 63 replies 42 participants last post by  marinwolfrider 
#1 ·
Well I just heard that Rachel Atherton was hit by a vehicle while training on a road bike:sad: She was lucky because she had no extremely serious injury, but she was still injured. I want to remind everyone out there to drive safe and remind your families to do the same, although I am sure most members on here are pretty good at driving. We have got to watch out for each other.

http://www.transcendmagazine.com/archives/2009/01/rachel-atherton-1.html

#2 ·
This is why road biking is more dangerous than mtn biking. I might get injured while riding too fast on a trail or off a jump.

But I am never gonna get blindsided by something going 60 mph while wearing no pads, just spandex

#6 ·
dang, what sucks here is only a very small portion of the population could give a **** about the bike industry or riders in it. most people would just be like, well the biker should have moved. they have the right to ride!!

#10 ·
That truck looked pretty tore up!

A friend emailed this to me last night from the commencal website. Has more pics of what happened. I couldnt help but notice that the damage to the truck was on the passenger side and it made me wonder if Rach was riding her bike against traffic? You know driving on the opp. side of the road like in the UK. Im sure there are plenty of scenarios which this could have happened, just the first thing that came to mind. I hope shes gonna be OK!!
The second thing I thought was how awesome is it have 2 brothers by your side all the time. Really a unique condition! Athertons rule!!

#21 ·
zaner31 said:
The second thing I thought was how awesome is it have 2 brothers by your side all the time. Really a unique condition! Athertons rule!!
Thats what I was thinking, most siblings barely get along. And then you have the Athertons which seem inseparable. Some have said that they shouldnt have the picture in the report, I know its not pleasant but what I see is theyre all down to help one another which is hard enough to find in other people let alone your brother or sister. And yes I gave up riding on the roads a long time ago, countless D-bags throwing glass beer bottles at, you people talking on their phones not paying attention. We all know what the roads are really like:madman:

#24 ·
To pay for my Demo I rode my road bike 17 miles each way to work at my "local" bike shop over this whole past summer. Although I was never hit, there were far too many times where it was too close for comfort. Were talking 16 wheelers going by you so fast and close that you're nearly knocked off the bike from the wind created by them.

Riding road makes you realize that the vast majority of drivers could really care less about the well-being of others around them.

#25 ·
I had too many close calls with cars when I had my sportbike to ever wanna road ride. That's why I sold it. Roadies are a different breed altogether. I would feel safer hitting a 15 foot drop at a bike park than doing a 30 mile road ride. Hope she heals up fast!

#26 ·
Khemical said:
Really SMT?......I mean REALLY?

did you have to post that?:confused:
Taken from Ridemonkey.
From a local paper:
Bicyclist injured in accident

A 21-year-old woman was flown to an out-of-county trauma center after being hit by a pickup while riding her bicycle around noon Sunday, according to the California Highway Patrol. She was not wearing a helmet.

The woman, visiting from Britain, was biking northbound in the southbound lanes of Amesti Road just south of Browns Valley Road. She was riding with friends when she was hit, CHP officer A. Voorhees said.

"The exact cause of the crash is under investigation but basically she was on the wrong side of the road," Voorhees said. "She was with a group of riders and was the first to leave the closure at Amesti, came around the curve and drifted into the opposing lane."

The woman crashed into the windshield on the passenger side and suffered a dislocated shoulder as well as some cuts to her face, according to CalFire Capt. Tony Arnold.

The woman was conscious and breathing when medics responded.

"She just wasn't paying attention," Arnold said.

Traffic in the area was blocked for about 20 minutes, the CHP reported.

Aptos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.