Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help: Keystone vs. Whistler

981 views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  rep_1969 
#1 ·
My buddies and I have been going to Whistler for the last few years and now most likely will not be able to go this year. We loved riding Dirt Merchant, Schleyer, Joy Ride, Freight Train, Clown Shoes, and of course ALine.
Anybody that has been to both can you give me a comparison? Are there trails that are similar? If anybody has good video or pics please post
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
We just rode Keystone last summer and while it's pretty cool it isn't quite as big as Whistler (yet). The upside is that you can also hit Winter Park and Sol Vista without much more driving. Here's a short video from Keystone & Winter Park (we couldn't ride the jumps at Winter Pk due to construction for Crankworks).

DH runs at Winter Park and Keystone from Ken Bennett on Vimeo.

#5 ·
kenbentit said:
it isn't quite as big as Whistler (yet).

DH runs at Winter Park and Keystone from Ken Bennett on Vimeo.
From the video it looks like it would still be worth a 5 day trip. We are debating whether the extra 2 day drive time (not able to fly this year, No sky miles) and extra time off work will be worth it vs. the wives and the Dog House, If we drove to Whistler the expenses might actually be less than the previous years (baggage fees=gas money and no need to rent a truck/car from Vancouver to Whistler). But 17 hours in the Rover doesnt seem too appealing. Having said that, I voted for Whistler and the punishment of the Dog House

#9 ·
There's really no comparison between Whistler and Keystone. Don't get me wrong, Keystone has some really fun stuff, but I'm not sure you could spend a whole week here like you can at Whistler. There's some decent stuff at WP (way mellower) and for some unknown reason I've never been to Sol Vista so can't say anything about that. But if it's a Colorado DH trip or nothing, definitely come check it out here. Just don't expect anything really close to A-Line, Dirt Merchant, etc. Good luck man...

#10 ·
Whistler is the Crown jewel but Keystone is a lot of fun....and every year they seem to add more. I am actually going there and Whistler this summer...

one thing about Keystone.....ride early because thunderstorms close mtn sometimes in the afternoon

#14 ·
places I've been:

Vermont: Mount Snow/ raced XC DNF

New York ( home state) :
-Gore MT./ raced DH 2nd place
-Whiteface Mt,
-West Mt./ raced DH 4th place
-Plattekill / raced DH 4th place & 2nd to last <one of the best mountains i've been on

Utah:
-Wolf Mt. / raced DH 4th place
-DearValley/ raced DH 1st place
- ParkCity

Colorado:
-Winter Park,
-Steam Boat Spings,
- Vail,
-Snowmass,
-Breckenridge,
-Keystone

#15 ·
edenger; thanks man! I actually made sure to look back uphill after the really nasty roll-in thing so I'd remember how big it was. Video always seems to flatten things out.
rhianna1; I like to use stuff that I listen to which tends to be a bit off the beaten path. APB just has so many songs that would work :thumbsup:
indecentexposure: I really like your video because it's all the same stuff but from different angles. Really shows the size better. Helmet cam is cool but limited, I really need to stop and use the handheld more.

#19 ·
2nd that...

Dangerous E said:
There's really no comparison between Whistler and Keystone. Don't get me wrong, Keystone has some really fun stuff, but I'm not sure you could spend a whole week here like you can at Whistler. There's some decent stuff at WP (way mellower) and for some unknown reason I've never been to Sol Vista so can't say anything about that. But if it's a Colorado DH trip or nothing, definitely come check it out here. Just don't expect anything really close to A-Line, Dirt Merchant, etc. Good luck man...
Living in CO and having been to Whistler, they're not the same. Whistler is well manicured, perfectly constructed, and FLOWS. Keystone, is more just sick DH, gnarly lines, super hard on the brakes. In ski terms, Whistler is the snowboard park, Keystone is a gnarly Black Diamond run. Both are fun, just different. But with Winter Park, Solvista, and Vail, you can get a lot of variety in a relatively short drivin distance each day.
Oh, and it doesn't rain nearly as much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.