Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

FFHs for Big Jaw Jackers?

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  bmxconvert 
#1 ·

I'm no Jay Leno to be sure, but a bunch of FFHs I've tried have done poorly in covering the lower half of my jaw. On some helmets I've tried my jaw is often is quite exposed and sometimes the chin guard comes right up to my mouth.

The helmet I have now is an Azonic T66 which fits well and has good coverage as well as breathing room up front. But it's had a two hard seasons and it's time to replace it. I'd like to get something spanky like a TLD D2 or possibly a 661 Evo-C or Flight-2

Anyone have feedback on how the jaw coverage is on either of these? I'm leaning towards the 661s

Also I read many ppl are considering full moto helmets like the Flight2...overkill or Overdue? I'd be doing Lift parks as well as trail style freeriding.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not sure if the 661 evo c is a different shape as the regular evolution, but if you have a largish jaw I'd steer clear of it because i'm pretty sure it is. The chin guard is pretty short. I mean like I have maybe a 1/2 an inch of room between my chin and the guard, if I jut my jaw out I can touch it, and I don't have a particularly large jaw. Its a pretty tight fit.

#6 ·
the only 661(mtb) I've tried on felt like it needed to come down farther, like it was sitting too high on my head and not providing chin and lower head protection. I couldn't wear it because of this, it just didn't feel right. YMMV, try as many different helmets on as you can because the better it fits the better it works.

Moto vs. Mtb.... I'm giving it more consideration as I examine the damage to my current helmet from two crashes, I figure that if I'm cracking the foam inside that is a sign to beef it up. This is not the first helmet I've broken either. Now if I'm 145lbs and doing that, imagine what kind of force some one much bigger will generate in a crash.

When I send it in for inspection and repair I will ask if this is a clear sign to wear more protection. I am spoiled though and would want the lightest moto helmet and would probably be selective about the days I wear it.

#9 ·
Thanks y'all!!

You just saved me some trouble as Chainlove JUST popped up with the carbon for $125... but if's a trouble fit for others then it'll llikely be trouble fit for me.

So any suggestions on a FFH with a good down reaching face guard?

#13 ·
airwreck said:
order one each of every cool new helmet out there and return all of them except for the one that fits the best :D.
Don't think for a second I didn't consider it. :D I was gonna grab the XL and try it out but the comments above made it seem unlikely even that would fit.

Web shopping does have it's limitations I guess :rolleyes: :D .
Gotta take your advice and hit the moto shop, see what's what.

#15 ·
Just a note about 661 helmets, their chinguards sit very close to your jaw. If you have a large jaw like you say, you might have problems. I have a Flight and it sits rather close. Not a problem for me however, but something you should consider.

Some people might recommend a Specialized Devaint for you, but the chin guard on it is very long, which leaves the underside (Chin area) exposed somewhat.

#16 ·
Bikezilla said:
Thanks y'all!!

You just saved me some trouble as Chainlove JUST popped up with the carbon for $125... but if's a trouble fit for others then it'll llikely be trouble fit for me.

So any suggestions on a FFH with a good down reaching face guard?
I know, I was also tempted but with out trying it in person I was hesitant to pull the trigger myself.

#18 ·
I've only had experience with the TLD Moto, D2 and Bell M 8. I use the TLD right now and it fits me great. But some of my riding buddies with big noggins have issues with the fit of the D2. I think your jaw will come way to close. You might have luck with the TLD Moto it is a roomier fit as well as the M 8. What I liked about the Moto and M8 is that they are full on Snell and Dot approved but have a smaller size than a Fox or Shoei. I seeing a few more guys on the lifts with full moto helmets, it seems the logical choice with this day and age of DH riding. I will prob make the switch to the TLD Moto when my D2 sees its last day. Seems like your going to hit up a few Motorcross shops, try them all on, you spend the whole day in that thing. Find one that fits, and my opinion cost should be secondary to fit and proper protection. Keep that noggin safe, you only have one. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
My helmets only last me about 6 months. It's not that I crash alot, I just happen to slam my head really hard when I do. I've broken 2 661 helmets(bravo and evolution). I've never had any issues with the "grill guard" being too close on any of them. I've found the fit to be very nice, but then I'm wearing a small/medium helmet.
Right now I'm riding my TLD Speed Equipment DOT helmet for downhill while I wait for my new helmet to show up. It's a snug fit but it's light enough that it doesn't bother my neck and it sits lower in the front and rear than my 661's did. I tend to notice that on occasion my TLD actually sits far enough down on my neck that I bump my body armor with it.
If your considering going DOT/moto try the helmet out with full body gear on your bike checking your range of motion.

-Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.