Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bottom bracket confusion

962 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Carvell 
#1 ·
Alright, so I'm fed up with the low ass bb height on my '08 p.2, and realized that I could get an azonic steelhead frame for less than i could sell my p.2 frame for. This idea was perfect, until I found a difference in specs between my p.2 and the steelhead.

The bb on my bike is 73mm, and the bb on the bike i want is 68mm. :madman:

So thats all good right? I start looking on pricepoint (where i'm getting the steelhead and a single speed kit) and find a few cheap bottom brackets. I look at the sizing, and on every one i see that they have the threads for both 68 and 73 in one size.

So to end my story, I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that the bottom bracket currently on my p.2 ("Fuse Euro") has the threads for a 68mm frame?

#5 ·
jawdrop on hardtail said:
I am downgrading though, from a 73 to a 68, why would i need a spacer? This doesn't make sense to me although thanks for the help. I'm going to pull the trigger on the frame.
You will need spacers because the spindle for your crankset is designed for a 73mm shell width. By adding 2-2.5mm (5mm total) spacers you effectively widen the 68mm shell to 73mm. This way a manufacturer can kill 2 birds with one stone by designing the crankset for 73mm.

You don't say if you have a 2 piece crank or a 3 piece Shimano Octalink or Isis 3 piece crank.
It doesn't really matter unless you are buying a new BB and then it only matters if you have a 3 piece crankset.

#6 ·
wormvine said:
You will need spacers because the spindle for your crankset is designed for a 73mm shell width. By adding 2-2.5mm (5mm total) spacers you effectively widen the 68mm shell to 73mm. This way a manufacturer can kill 2 birds with one stone by designing the crankset for 73mm.
That makes much more sense now. Looks like this will work after all, thanks guys. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.