Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Last Vagrant

998 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  sodak 
#1 ·
This is the last Transition Vagrant that was left at Transition, and I picked it up as soon as I could. I will definitely give this thing a thorough thrashing worthy of transition. Monday I am going to go pop its cherry at Rays MTB park.
Build
Fork - 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2
Wheels - Azonic Outlaws
Drivetrain - Sram X-9
Brakes - Avid Code 203/185
Cranks - Raceface Evolve DH
Seat - WTB something or other
Seat post - Raceface Evolve DH
Chainguide - E.Thirteen STS
Stem - Raceface Diabolous D2
Handlebar - Sunline V1 OS
Tires - Maxxis Holy Rollers - not a permanent tire, just hooks up really well at rays.
Pedals - Bontrager Big earls

Ride report to follow in a few days. I would take it out for a few hops and jumps around my neighborhood, but we are under some nasty snow :madman:

See less See more
#5 ·
blender said:
nice dude!
I've been tempted to sell mine for a 6" trail frame, but every time i ride it i remember why i haven't sold it yet.
One of the funnest bikes i've ever been on.
Exact same situation with Vagrant. I just couldn't get rid of it...so now I have two bikes. 6 inch trail/fr Norco Six and my Vagrant fun do-it-all bike.

#10 ·
combatkimura said:
Nice I'll keep an eye out for you at Ray's. Where are you from?

Just checked your profile, Dublin eh? I'm up here in Maumee (Toledo). Do you hang with the chainsmoke.net boys at Horn's Hill at all? That Vagrant would rock at the Hill. If you don't know about Horn's Hill check out www.chainsmoke.net. Mohican has been coming along too.
take some vids of Mohican....would love to see what you been doing do it...have not been there in 3 years

#13 ·
Ride Report

Well, first off, let me just say that I think the component choices were perfect, everything felt nice. I did lots of things with this bike today, I jumped it, dropped it, tabled into a foam pit, and ran through a few rockgardens. It handled it all better than I ever could have asked for. Here is a short summary of the whole thing.
The Good
- Fox 36 Talas Fork performed amazingly
- Never dropped a chain, and shifting had that very solid, mechanical feel that everybody talks about with sram.
- Handles like a DJ bike, but pedals way better. Just what the doctor ordered.
- Code brakes are effin amazing!!! So much power and modulation it is rediculous.
The Bad
- The Rear end is stiffer than a 14 yr old at the play boy mansion, which isn't necesarily a bad thing, just kindof an odd sensation to have the front end float over a rough section and then get jacked around with the rear.

Out of 10, I give the frame a 9.9, just because the rear end could be a little more compliant without sacrificing strength.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.