Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shifting Duty

697 views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Gemini2k05 
#1 ·
I have searched thru the dh forum for this matter but havent found much on my question, so here goes.

I am looking at upgrading my shifting system, I currently have a shimano xt trigger and short cage derailleur. I want another short cage preferably sram with a trigger shifter, the X 0 stuff looks awesome but it is too much $$. I want something that has nice precise quick shifts thru the rough stuff (rock gardens etc). So what is a good durable rear derailleur and trigger from sram(9spd)? BTW the bike is an 04 bighit expert FSR, Thanks

#3 ·
X.9 shorty is pretty nice.. crisp shifting
one flaw is the cage made out of plastic composite material, i've seen more than one of those shatter on the trail. Shattered mine on the first ride out... SRAM replaced it without any questions, and I've been lucky since.

#5 ·
x0 is for pro racers that are just given the best. or for people with cash to spare.

x9 is just as good derailur wise. just heavier.

ive heard the x0 shifter is quite a bit crisper/smoother than x9. ive just felt one. never used it.but from my 10 sec fiddlin with it i agree.

#6 ·
I always ran x.o shifter and x.9 der combo. negligable weight penalty with the der... (and dare i say better karma with it? i've smashed more x.o's then x.9s ??)

The x.o shifter does have crisper shifts, and a better 'feel' to it. less lever slop, adjust ability, etc. it's worth it for the shifter.

i'm running the new XTR shifter / der combo and it's slicker then KY jelly. but not worth it cost wise.

#8 ·
poop...poop... thats what x9 is...poop

-1 for x9

good shifting....but durability:madman: ....forget about it...me and my riding pals have gone through loads of them and when they break they break...

swapped mine out for mid cage SLX and that thing is fing rad....Shadow design super super tight spring....i dont think i will run anything different anytime soon
give it a shot...i think they are cheaper than x9also...could be wrong...

#9 ·
CdaleProph6 said:
-1 for x9

good shifting....but durability:madman: ....forget about it...me and my riding pals have gone through loads of them and when they break they break...

swapped mine out for mid cage SLX and that thing is fing rad....Shadow design super super tight spring....i dont think i will run anything different anytime soon
give it a shot...i think they are cheaper than x9also...could be wrong...
they're easy to work on, I've disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled mine a few times. Nothing to it, just don't lose the springs.

#13 ·
sq225917 said:
-1 for sram shifting fullstop, poor lever ergonomics, easy to false downshift compared to shimano.

xtr shadow and shifter blows the Sram gear out of the water IMHO.
When you guys tried the SRAM stuff? I personally just swapped a 06 (I think) X.9 set to a 2009 set, and it made all the difference in the world! Total awesomeness compared to the older versions in every way.

#14 ·
oh good, a sram vs. shimano thread... :lol:

I personally have 2008 x9 der and x7 trigger. I love the thumb activation, and before Shimano switched to dual-release, I would have said SRAM hands down. However, now it's more of a toss-up.

The x9 der. has held up well for me, even falling off a log ride onto the derailleur didn't bend or break it, but that could be a fluke. The X7 trigger is pretty vague feeling on the downshifts, so I would definitely recommend going to at least x9 there, as it just feels more "clicky". I was giving my buddy's new XT shadow and SLX shifter setup the ol' parking lot test, and it is also very impressive - definitely more tactile when downshifting. Both are equivalent levels in their respective lineups, but if pressed between the two options, I would probably go for the Shimano setup simply because the SLX shifter allows more control over shifter placement by moving the pod side-to-side on the clamp.

#15 ·
"Best Shifting combo in 2009 is shadow rear and xTR shifter"

It's certainly a very good one. There's a fair amount of preference involved, but I'm finding the Saint Shadow to XTR to be about as quick, clean and simple as I could ask for. The XTR gives shifts a very light feel, so there's little in the way of distraction.

"I personally just swapped a 06 (I think) X.9 set to a 2009 set, and it made all the difference in the world! Total awesomeness compared to the older versions in every way."

So, three year-old shifting components feel worse than brand new ones? Is that what you're saying?

#16 ·
Sram cassettes suck! I run X9 shfter/Rear-D combo with a XT cassette. The XT cassette makes the shifting much smoother.

You can run XTR or X0 everything and a garbage cassette and it will not perform worth a damn.

#17 ·
HTFR said:
Sram cassettes suck! I run X9 shfter/Rear-D combo with a XT cassette. The XT cassette makes the shifting much smoother.

You can run XTR or X0 everything and a garbage cassette and it will not perform worth a damn.
Same here i run x9 rear-d and shifters on a XT cassette on my Five-O runs soo smooth.

#19 ·
I run x.9 at the minute, it came on the bike, i hate it, my BLT has 3 year old xtr on and it's way better, replacement mech, shift and block should be here this week.

Don't get me wrong, SRAM gear has it's place, their road gruppos are ace, i have RED all over my roadie, but i can't get on with their ergonomic and control choices, choices which have obviously been made for 'being different' sake rather than offering the best fit to the 95th percentile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.