Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

08 marzocchi 888 ata wc tuning trouble

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Send-It 
#1 ·
hey guys,
just picked up an 08 marzocchi 888 ata wc and have been having some problems with the adjustments. I did a search and came up with nothing so i was wondering if any of you have this fork and know what your doing - ie, what the adjustments do, how do i add air to each chamber and if any of you have any ideas as to why the fork is bottoming at around 4 inches of travel or stopping around 4 inches into the travel

thanks for your help

Brian

#2 ·
chup29 said:
hey guys,
just picked up an 08 marzocchi 888 ata wc and have been having some problems with the adjustments. I did a search and came up with nothing so i was wondering if any of you have this fork and know what your doing - ie, what the adjustments do, how do i add air to each chamber and if any of you have any ideas as to why the fork is bottoming at around 4 inches of travel or stopping around 4 inches into the travel

thanks for your help

Brian
The 08 888WC is an entirely coil-sprung fork, it doesn't use adjustable air chambers, although it does have the volume-adjust knob on the left leg. I have this fork and have no idea why it would be bottoming at 4" of travel, unless it's grossly overfilled with oil and hydro-locking at that point. If you undo the top caps, compress the fork, and oil comes out of the left leg (better not spill it on the brake!) it was obviously overfilled.

#5 ·
The top and bottom need to be no less than 30 psi in difference, the bottom being the higher psi. I dont know what you weigh but I think mine was 90/130 for most things and 110/140 for hucking and fr. I weigh 235 but ran it uber soft, Ronnie is the one who helped me with my air when i was there. Worked like a glove.
Definently check wether its the upper or lower that requires the higher PSI. I cant honestly remember I had 2 last season and sorry I sold them. On a 66 rc3 now and loving it but for the 888s the ata wc is the only way to go! Ill be on a triple this season again.

#6 ·
Universe said:
A lot of people (myself included) have removed the PAR assembly and the fork has a much improved feel.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=3490818&postcount=2
I talked with Ronnie about that and he said yeah he could see how it would work with the year before but not the new stuff! I was going to do it but the fork performed flawless to begin with and was plush right off the bat!

#7 ·
bullcrew said:
I talked with Ronnie about that and he said yeah he could see how it would work with the year before but not the new stuff! I was going to do it but the fork performed flawless to begin with and was plush right off the bat!
07 and 08 are very different in performance. For the 08 I pulled this quote off nsmb. Sums it up well.

"Fork is much better without it. Basically, the PAR is there to prevent bottom out on an already very progressive spring system. This results in excessive wallowing of the fork at appropriate air pressures, or excessive harshness at appropriate ride height. Removing the PAR also eliminates an o-ring seal which has been known to be sticky and hinder the fork's motion.

Remove the PAR. It sucks
"

I agree...removing the par was great even mine worked well off the bat like you stated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.