Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3 Sexy Bikes.... Winter project complete

3K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  wookie freeride 
#1 ·
Well im as finished as i can be with mine and my wifes bikes so let me know what you think. Just need the snow to melt so i can ride!!!!!
1. All of our beauties
2. Intense socom, never ridden (by me atleast) 40.8 pounds
3. Intense Slopestyle, My baby 34.1 pounds
4. Transition Syren, Wife's baby 34.08 pounds

enjoy, specs upon request

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey, how does your wife like the syren? does she ever use it as an all around bike? I've been debating getting one for my wife as well to replace her enduro so she has a more whistler/gravity capable ride, but i don't want to put her on something that she's gonna hate to pedal around all the time. We don't do any serious XC at all, just some pretty mellow AM trail riding, and usually a trip or two to whistler... just curious:)

#12 ·
yomattyo said:
Hey, how does your wife like the syren? does she ever use it as an all around bike? I've been debating getting one for my wife as well to replace her enduro so she has a more whistler/gravity capable ride, but i don't want to put her on something that she's gonna hate to pedal around all the time. We don't do any serious XC at all, just some pretty mellow AM trail riding, and usually a trip or two to whistler... just curious:)
She loves it, She does everything on it. thats why we built it at 34 pounds. its about to get lighter cause were putting lighter tires on it too. were aiming for 33 pounds even.

i would say we shuttle about 50 percent of the time and bike up the rest. She does more xc then i do. she goes up fine unless she goes with her XC friends and then she struggles but they have 27 pound bikes. but she wastes them on the way down.

she is also starting to learn how to jump and this bike feels more comfortable for that she says.
oh and she is coming off a kona dawg.

the biggest advantage of the bike is the standover height. the kona was about 31inches and the syren is 37.5 so a good 3.5 inches lower.

#17 ·
Quite a fleet. Show off... Ha.

I've read all your posts on the SS. I have been really thinking about one a lot as I can get one through my boss. It's either that or a Reign X. I know that's a far stretch, but the bikes have similar travel and angles. (Except for seat height.)

Have you ridden a Reign X before? I might start a thread to see what people think of VPP vs. the Maestro on these 2 bikes. I really want the SS more, but I don't know if I'll like VPP... (It's my only hang up. I prefer custom, USA made, ect. ect.)

#18 ·
Uncle Cliffy said:
Quite a fleet. Show off... Ha.

I've read all your posts on the SS. I have been really thinking about one a lot as I can get one through my boss. It's either that or a Reign X. I know that's a far stretch, but the bikes have similar travel and angles. (Except for seat height.)

Have you ridden a Reign X before? I might start a thread to see what people think of VPP vs. the Maestro on these 2 bikes. I really want the SS more, but I don't know if I'll like VPP... (It's my only hang up. I prefer custom, USA made, ect. ect.)
no i haven't ridden a reign x but would love to give one a try. They look sweet.

Im sure you will be happy with either. i like the SS cause i can cruise up some XC trails on one day and then tear up the dirt jumps the next. Its much like the BR that we have both owned but more plush, better pedaling, and lighter.

either way im sure you will get a great bike. let me know what happens, im interested in hearing what you find out.

#19 ·
climbingbubba said:
no i haven't ridden a reign x but would love to give one a try. They look sweet.

Im sure you will be happy with either. i like the SS cause i can cruise up some XC trails on one day and then tear up the dirt jumps the next. Its much like the BR that we have both owned but more plush, better pedaling, and lighter.

either way im sure you will get a great bike. let me know what happens, im interested in hearing what you find out.
Cool man. I spun an X around couple months ago and compared to my BR it was sweet. It manualed easier, bunny-hopped better and had superior stand-over... The SS is just more current IMO. (Reign X will be re-designed next year...)

This year will be tough financially, so the SS would be a stretch probably. We'll see... :rolleyes:

#24 ·
CB - Killer stable man! I love that Siren build. SS and Socom are the shiz for a combo set.

Don't be doing any snow melt dances though. It's winter and it's time for boardin! You need to get a splitty and join us in the back country. We're still shreddin, just on feet of pow. Hopefully this snow pack settles down a bit soon so we can start getting on some steep stuff.

Putting in fresh lines in upper Big Cottonwood Canyon this past Saturday -

Yo! Uncle Cliffy - I have an SS as well, have a bud who rides similar to me that went with the Reign because he got a good deal. He's about 170 ish and rides hard. Went though 3 frames in about 6 mos. Giant was awesome on warranty for him, but they were not holding up to what I've been putting my SS through. He's on an SXT now and doing fine. FWIW, he loved the Reign it just didn't hold up on the big stuff.

#26 ·
Newbie Wan Kenobi said:
man ! i envy you for having that much dough to spend and built 3 good looking bikes ! wowzerz !
Its all about ebay my friend. the only new frame was the syren. both intenses were off Ebay.
with the parts i already had laying around as spares the socom cost a little over 2000 to build. not bad if your thrifty.
also pinkbike is sweet right now. with the canadian dollar not doing as well as the US dollar you get stuff for about 20% their asking price. just don't get scammed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.