Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Throw me some ideas please!!

790 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  cyrix 
#1 ·
My DH sled was stolen a few months ago and I haven't gotten it back yet. So either the thief is smart or they managed to part it out without tipping off the pawn shops within a 50 mile radius or the riders within this half of PA.

Between tuition, rent, and medical bills my budget has been thrashed. I've been riding a hardrock that's been modified via fork, wheelset, and drivetrain for my DH needs on the local trails. My hardrock has done a hell of a job thus far and has performed far beyond what I expected it to, though I'm beginning to feel I'm stressing the frame far beyond what it was intended for. I've considered trying to use my AM Kona ride for DH, but I really don't think the rear sus would be able to handle it as well as I need it too. Anyways.... I need to get working on a new DH sled for the coming spring. I have a budget of around 3,100 USD. I bought a Manitou fork for cheap on jenson. It's a single crown design. So that dropped my budget to about 2,700 for a frame, drivetrain, etc....

I need ideas badly right now. I've been checking out pinkbike for some decent deals and have been religiously looking at chainlove for some luck. I've never used Jamis for DH riding, but Jenson has some pretty good deals on some DH/FR bike from them. I've heard about issues with the rear swingarm cracking though. Any input from any of you guys would seriously make my week. Classes just started for our spring semester, soooo.....any good input I would consider advice from the gods right about now. I can't picture using my AM rig for DH or FR, nor could I envision a HT for DH for the upcoming spring season. I'm not expecting to get a ride like I had before, and I can accept that. I just want something that can deal with moderate DH tracks. I really don't want to have to deal with dropping spots or at worst a class because I'm stuck with an AM or HT ride for the season. So again, I'm begging you for input. I appreciate any input whether it be negative or positive. Bash me if you need too, or provide good input. either way I don't care because I'll get some good info as far as I'm concerned. I just don't want to have to throw away a whole season of riding because some ******* decided being a klepto was his vice. Peace, and keep riding.

See less See more
#5 ·
cyrix said:
My DH sled was stolen a few months ago and I haven't gotten it back yet. So either the thief is smart or they managed to part it out without tipping off the pawn shops within a 50 mile radius or the riders within this half of PA.

Between tuition, rent, and medical bills my budget has been thrashed. I've been riding a hardrock that's been modified via fork, wheelset, and drivetrain for my DH needs on the local trails. My hardrock has done a hell of a job thus far and has performed far beyond what I expected it to, though I'm beginning to feel I'm stressing the frame far beyond what it was intended for. I've considered trying to use my AM Kona ride for DH, but I really don't think the rear sus would be able to handle it as well as I need it too. Anyways.... I need to get working on a new DH sled for the coming spring. I have a budget of around 3,100 USD. I bought a Manitou fork for cheap on jenson. It's a single crown design. So that dropped my budget to about 2,700 for a frame, drivetrain, etc....

I need ideas badly right now. I've been checking out pinkbike for some decent deals and have been religiously looking at chainlove for some luck. I've never used Jamis for DH riding, but Jenson has some pretty good deals on some DH/FR bike from them. I've heard about issues with the rear swingarm cracking though. Any input from any of you guys would seriously make my week. Classes just started for our spring semester, soooo.....any good input I would consider advice from the gods right about now. I can't picture using my AM rig for DH or FR, nor could I envision a HT for DH for the upcoming spring season. I'm not expecting to get a ride like I had before, and I can accept that. I just want something that can deal with moderate DH tracks. I really don't want to have to deal with dropping spots or at worst a class because I'm stuck with an AM or HT ride for the season. So again, I'm begging you for input. I appreciate any input whether it be negative or positive. Bash me if you need too, or provide good input. either way I don't care because I'll get some good info as far as I'm concerned. I just don't want to have to throw away a whole season of riding because some ******* decided being a klepto was his vice. Peace, and keep riding.
PM sent.

#6 ·
Check out the Ironhorse frames that are on mad clearance right now, great opportunity's for solid DW link frames for pretty decently cheap. Also check out transition's webstore for some of their clearance stuff, they had 2008 zochi stuff for the cheap (i know they've had issues, but they still aren't bad) they also have wheelsets up for really good prices.

next, give Allen a buzz at dropnzone.com (allen@dropnzone.com) and tell him what your up against, he just spec'd out a bottlerocket brand new out the door for a buddy of mine for 2500 bucks with a build from parts he had around the shop and has given me some great deals this last year (i know you don't want a BR, but just to say he can do some good deals). I garuntee he'd be able to help you get into some new stuff for really good prices and he carries just about everything you could think of.

sorry you got your sled yanked, that really sucks. best of luck to you getting it replaced!

#7 ·
What were you riding before. It must have been something very high end if you weren't able to find a decent used bike for 3100. I see glory DHs, Demo 8s, sundays, as well as some of the more boutique DH bikes go for around 3K used for a complete.

I mean, if you're looking for something as bling as a 303 or racelink that's gonna be a little tougher, but if you just want something with 8" of travel that's better than your hardrock there are a TON of deals to be had. Unless you just don't want to go used.

#8 ·
Hesh to Steel said:
What were you riding before. It must have been something very high end if you weren't able to find a decent used bike for 3100. I see glory DHs, Demo 8s, sundays, as well as some of the more boutique DH bikes go for around 3K used for a complete.

I mean, if you're looking for something as bling as a 303 or racelink that's gonna be a little tougher, but if you just want something with 8" of travel that's better than your hardrock there are a TON of deals to be had. Unless you just don't want to go used.
I'm trying to avoid used, but it's an option depending on ride time on the frame and year, which is why I haven't found a whole lot of stuff on pink bike. I'm pretty anal about my bikes. I had an 07 Atomik, saint drive, Marzocchi 888 RC-3 08, Fox DHX 5.0 08, syncros mag pedals. I loved the bike and babied the hell out of it.

Thanks for the PM offers. I'll look at them and get back to you.

PS: The Majin design just doesn't sit well with me, but thanks for the input.

#11 ·
miguel said:
IH sunday's expert new they are going right now for about $2300..complete
on ebay from bike shops...and you save money for some cold brew..
I'll take a look at them. What's the year usually? Drivetrain? Shocks F and R? Do they come with DC or SC forks?

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Thanks for the link. I absolutely love some of the intense designs, but that one is one of the few that I'm not too fond of. Anal....just like I said. :p If anyone spots a V10, Session 88, Stab, F5, or Judge for a good price hit me up. Those are the frames I am hoping I can score for a good price. But I'm not tossing out all input by anymeans. If you show me a frame I like and it's a killer deal, anything I have left over budget wise I'm not joking I'll send to you. I'm looking, but searching all the usual spots constantly is pretty time consuming day to day. I'd love to expand my budget, but with tuition and **** I just honestly can't afford too. Plus I'm like strangling myself practically to stop myself from getting another set of syncros.....

#12 ·
Hey, thanks to everyone for the links and such. I really appreciate it. I honestly mean I can't begin to thank you all for offering to help me find my bike when it got stolen, and for offering me ideas when I wanted a new bike. Um...the thing is I can't ride so much anymore right now. I had what I thought was an allergic reaction at work a few weeks ago that resulted in an angioedema. Basically my body reacted badly to something and my throat closed up. I figured it was just a one time thing since like most people I've had allergies since I was a kid to something or another. But my doctor pretty much told me I have Hereditary Angioedema. I've had bad reactions before, but a quick trip to the ER got rid of it. I always figured I just had shitty allergies. Guess I got the ****ing short end of the stick. I know I haven't been a real avid contributor, and I have been a dick sometimes. But....for now riding is kinda off limits for me until this gets worked out. Talk about a ****ing sweet saturday right? Hah, so if anyone wants a decent single crown Manitou fork....I got one for sale. Or if anyone near Seven Springs want to booze it up.....I'm game. Either way I think I'm just kinda gonna peace out for a while till this **** is more sound and resolved. I'm not sure what my options are yet but I hope to get back to riding as soon as possible. So if I can help it I'll be busting your balls for some more input soon. I don't really feel like I've gotten my hooves into the community here quite yet but I've really enjoyed the insane discourse on many occasions, and loved coming here when I needed ideas of help. So for what that's worth...

#15 ·
cyrix said:
Hey, thanks to everyone for the links and such. I really appreciate it. I honestly mean I can't begin to thank you all for offering to help me find my bike when it got stolen, and for offering me ideas when I wanted a new bike. Um...the thing is I can't ride so much anymore right now. I had what I thought was an allergic reaction at work a few weeks ago that resulted in an angioedema. Basically my body reacted badly to something and my throat closed up. I figured it was just a one time thing since like most people I've had allergies since I was a kid to something or another. But my doctor pretty much told me I have Hereditary Angioedema. I've had bad reactions before, but a quick trip to the ER got rid of it. I always figured I just had shitty allergies. Guess I got the ****ing short end of the stick. I know I haven't been a real avid contributor, and I have been a dick sometimes. But....for now riding is kinda off limits for me until this gets worked out. Talk about a ****ing sweet saturday right? Hah, so if anyone wants a decent single crown Manitou fork....I got one for sale. Or if anyone near Seven Springs want to booze it up.....I'm game. Either way I think I'm just kinda gonna peace out for a while till this **** is more sound and resolved. I'm not sure what my options are yet but I hope to get back to riding as soon as possible. So if I can help it I'll be busting your balls for some more input soon. I don't really feel like I've gotten my hooves into the community here quite yet but I've really enjoyed the insane discourse on many occasions, and loved coming here when I needed ideas of help. So for what that's worth...
never let anything defeat you....remember it must RAIN before you can see a rainbow....you keep your chin up and still do your passions.

Don't think why me. Just play the hand as best as possible. You are still a player in the game of life...don't take yourself out with self pity and go to the sidelines....be a participant not a spectator....get out and kick a$$

Don't sell your fork. Healing vibes all the way

#17 ·
William42 said:
Holy crap Cyrix, that sounds awful, hope things pick up and life starts stabilizing for you bud, feel better and enjoy the boozing and time off, there's nothing quite like it to cheer you up!
Hey thanks man. Things will always get better. I just wasn't expecting this at all :p

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
never let anything defeat you....remember it must RAIN before you can see a rainbow....you keep your chin up and still do your passions.

Don't think why me. Just play the hand as best as possible. You are still a player in the game of life...don't take yourself out with self pity and go to the sidelines....be a participant not a spectator....get out and kick a$$

Don't sell your fork. Healing vibes all the way
I don't pity myself man, or look down on the situation. I look at it as just another challenge to pop up for me to kick the **** out of. I will keep riding, but right now I just can't do it. It would be stupid for me to keep riding after finding this out. Trust me, it would take a squad of nuns with nun chucks (no pun intended) to keep me from riding DH. I just have to take a break for a while until this ******** gets sorted out. It's a very manageable thing to deal with so I'm not all that worried. I just gotta funnel cash into another area for a few months. It was just bad timing is all. Believe me, I'll be dead before I hang up my riding shoes. And I pity the first doctor who try's to tell me I have to hang it up for good. The church of dirt doesn't take quitters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.