Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Marzocchi 2004 Z1 FR Heavy Springs Compression Question

863 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  wademan 
#1 ·
I am attempting to make the compression of this fork stiffer/slower. I'm cycling through the travel too quickly and bottoming out on smaller hits than I think I should.

Questions:

1) I installed x-firm springs that I got mail order. Blister pack was marked 850342/C, Spring K=6,0, Travel 130mm, Z1 + ETA 2003. The springs are orange and blue. Is there any chance there was a change for X-FIRM for 2004. I ask because there is no noticeable difference between these springs and the stock springs they replaced. Are these the correct X-Firm for this 2004 fork? Has anyone tried heavier springs?

2) I'm curious about anything you've done to increase preload (beyond the 15lbs of air in the right leg), or if you've experimented with various oil heights/weights you may have tried. I was told 40mm from top is max oil height. Has anyone tried heavier weight oil than 10?

3) Any other suggestions?

I'm still waiting to hear from Marzocchi on this, but I'm anxious to learn more.

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are the right springs. I recently did the same thing. I weigh about 230lbs, and I find that the X-heavys may be too heavy, either that or I need to lose a little oil. I am running 10 wt in mine, with 0 air pressure, and I have yet to bottom the fork, even on 4 ft to flat. The springs that you described are correct. They are 2 different length springs, in the orange and blue. How much do you weigh?

#3 ·
Thanks for your help.
This fork is actually on a tandem (I was trying not to be too detailed) our combined weight is 250 plus 45 for the bike. I researched this ahead of time and got approval from the folks in M's tech dept. The fork works beautifully in general... the sag is a little higher than I would like and it seems to compress too easily and I've bottomed out in places I think are a little too tame.

Do you think the heavier (10 wt.) oil made a big difference for the type of thing I'm concerned about or is it a subtlety?

#4 ·
I wouldn't say that the oil weight made a huge difference, but it does help to slow the compression stroke a bit. The only thing that you could possibly do to help your situation, is to create some preload spacers that could fit between the top caps, and the springs. I know Marz would not be happy with this solution, but it would work.

#6 ·
Add oil

If you are bottoming out a coil Marzocchi too easily, it is because the oil is too low. Add oil and you will solve the problem. Changing oil weights doesn't make much difference, and usually makes the fork's performance worse.

Adding preload will stiffen the spring rate a little, so you won't blow through the travel as quickly. But it does almost nothing to help prevent bottoming.

Those Z1 springs are the right ones, and they feel pretty much identical to stock in the parking lot, but they feel noticably stiffer out on the trail.

I say this after putting the x-heavy springs in my 03 Z1, 03 Super T, 03 Shiver, and 04 888R. All forks bottomed with a loud metallic CLACK sound until I added enough oil. I tried 10wt in the Super T, and it made the travel too "rubbery".

#7 ·
A friend with more experience checked our sag last night and didn't think we were too far off. I'll do oil weight first (I'm already at the max height according to M) and then maybe play with a spacer on the stack to add some preload.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.