Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

tire for diablo/east coast bike parks

890 views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Ironchefjon 
#1 ·
I am finally shopping for a dedicated set of DH wheels for my bike, so I am also shopping for a dedicated set of DH/FR tires. I'd like to stay as light as possible (folding) and go ghetto tubeless. I weigh 175ish geared up and ride a beefed-up Spec Enduro. My skills are intermediate and I try to avoid really nasty stuff (there are sections of double-black trails that I walk). I'll be at Diablo a few times this year and also hope to visit some other east coast parks.

I was thinking about
2.5 Kenda BG front and Nev rear
2.5 Nev on both ends
2.4 Panaracer Fire FR both ends

I'd really like minions or minion/high roller, but I can't justify the cost for a tire that will only be used like 6-8 times per year at parks (and maybe a few other times for local shuttles).

For kendas, should I look for stick-ee or dual compound?

Any opinions on these tires would be appreciated!

#2 ·
I run Nev's at Diablo. They hook up fine as long as they aren't worn out. You should be able to run a folding bead in the front ghetto tubeless. Don't even think about running one in the rear, just run a dh casing ghetto tubeless. Don't bother with DTC they suck for dh. Get the Sitck-e.

#6 ·
CountryBoy said:
I suggest to just avoid the Blue Groove.
Hey, to each his own, but on that comment, I've got to disagree. I use BG's front and rear, DH case wire bead in rear and a folding one in front. Great tire for me at Diablo, and worked great considering that it was miserably wet/skeezee diabloween saturday this year. You may not like the BG, but to say "avoid",...thats a bit extreme.

Attachments

#7 ·
gop427 said:
Hey, to each his own, but on that comment, I've got to disagree. I use BG's front and rear, DH case wire bead in rear and a folding one in front. Great tire for me at Diablo, and worked great considering that it was miserably wet/skeezee diabloween saturday this year. You may not like the BG, but to say "avoid",...thats a bit extreme.
Nice picture, what'd you do, wheelie all the mud?

I know Diablo was using BGs on some of their rentals, so I figured it was a good candidate, also know that a lot of people like them on the front.

I am kind leaning towards Nevs now because they seem so plentiful and you can find them cheap sometimes. Does everyone agree that I should go stick-e fr and rr and that I should go DH casing rr? I have managed with kevlar beads there before (spec enduro pro tires-2.4 fr, 2.3 rr-both folding, both ghetto tubeless). But I will probably be hitting things a little harder once I have heavier wheels.

By the way, gop427, did I ride with you at Reading once?

#8 ·
for diablo

Uncle Six Pack said:
Nice picture, what'd you do, wheelie all the mud?

I know Diablo was using BGs on some of their rentals, so I figured it was a good candidate, also know that a lot of people like them on the front.

I am kind leaning towards Nevs now because they seem so plentiful and you can find them cheap sometimes. Does everyone agree that I should go stick-e fr and rr and that I should go DH casing rr? I have managed with kevlar beads there before (spec enduro pro tires-2.4 fr, 2.3 rr-both folding, both ghetto tubeless). But I will probably be hitting things a little harder once I have heavier wheels.

By the way, gop427, did I ride with you at Reading once?

I ride tubeless at diablo and reccommend staying away from folding sidewalls all together.
Even if you are smooth, there are just too many sections that can end your run early and result in a long hike down the mt.

As for tacky...I run tacky all the time. However, on the dry hot summer days, your treads will dissapear rather quickly. Don't plan on using the same tires week after week.

I'm thinking of trying a dual compound this season (when it's dry) just to see how much more life I get out of them.

#9 ·
Maxxis DHF's front and rear has worked well for me, although most recently I've been using an Ardent up front and a DHR in the rear.

Ardent/DHR has performed better than anticipated on the East coast. I ride lots of backcountry stuff that is full of rocks, roots and that soft loamy soil that the East coast is known for, and the Ardent/DHR has worked great. Also used it at the bike park and its also done great. The DHR breaks loose nicely in the corners and the Ardent helps keep it together up front if you start to really get drifting. It's also one of the fastest rolling combinations out there.

2.6" Ardent is also the perfect size, not too small like the 2.5" DHF and not too big like the 2.7". Fills the sweet spot perfectly.

#11 ·
I ride lots of backcountry stuff that is full of rocks, roots and that soft loamy soil that the East coast is known for,
Is that really the sort of soil the east coast is known for? Diablo dirt isn't really loamy, and I don't remember platty being like that either (though I was there only once and it was like 20 degrees). When I went to Whiteface I remember the dirt looking exactly like it does in the northshore segments of bike movies I've seen and remember thinking that I'd never seen anything like that on the east coast. Maybe the dirt gets like that farther north?

#12 ·
I'd say the nevegal is a bit overkill for Diablo.. doesn't really roll that fast.. that being said I usually run a DH16 up front and a cut DH24 out back.. I ran an ardent in the rear for the end of last season at diablo, that hooked up well, but not as good as the DH24, but I kinda liked being able to get the back out easier.. Alot of guys run Minions, I haven't had a chance to ride them yet, but my friend's that run them like them as well..

#13 ·
gop427 said:
I don't know, maybe? I have gone there many times. What were you riding?
I made it there once in september or october for the DH shuttles in the box van (from spokes?). I was on a Brown Spec Enduro with Vanilla shock (aka SX Trail light). Actually there was another guy there with a brown enduro, but he was a local (and a lot faster than me).

#14 ·
freeriderB said:
I ride tubeless at diablo and reccommend staying away from folding sidewalls all together.
Even if you are smooth, there are just too many sections that can end your run early and result in a long hike down the mt.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I need a DH casing at least on the back.

#15 ·
Hesh to Steel said:
Is that really the sort of soil the east coast is known for? Diablo dirt isn't really loamy, and I don't remember platty being like that either (though I was there only once and it was like 20 degrees). When I went to Whiteface I remember the dirt looking exactly like it does in the northshore segments of bike movies I've seen and remember thinking that I'd never seen anything like that on the east coast. Maybe the dirt gets like that farther north?
Pretty loamy where I'm at in NH.

#16 ·
Uncle Six Pack said:
I made it there once in september or october for the DH shuttles in the box van (from spokes?). I was on a Brown Spec Enduro with Vanilla shock (aka SX Trail light). Actually there was another guy there with a brown enduro, but he was a local (and a lot faster than me).
The guy on the enduro was Ryan. I'm probably the one you thought you rode with. I remember you riding with us in the van. I think I was riding a green bottlerocket, or chumba f5.

We'll be starting the weekday shuttles again as soon as the sunset gets later again. Most of the trails are top notch right now, we've been keeping everything running even in the winter.

#17 ·
tires are (in my opinion) the most important performance upgrade you can make to a bike. I would pony up and get some nice ones. Ive never ridden nevegals on anything besides xc bikes, Im sure they are great and fine but they arent usually all that cheap $50 a whack.

I like the michelin 16's 2.5. I dont like the 24's (dont shed mud at all) and I am to lazy to cut that lug out. everyone else I ride with rides 2.7 maxxis minionF.

Kendas are prolly fine but watch out they run HUGE. Their 2.5 is bigger than most companies 2.7. You said you had a enduro frame which might not hold the kenda 2.5 (even if it says it can take a 2.5)

#18 ·
id get the nevys 2.5 DTC. you dont need the full stick-e as they wear fast and the extra grip is only really needed for cornering. panaracers suck imo.

USP is that pic of you in your profile taken at High Rocks? i ride there every so often and the rock you are sitting on looks just like the one at the bottom of the quick DH that dumps out at the creek on the other side of the road.

#19 ·
unclekittykiller said:
id get the nevys 2.5 DTC. you dont need the full stick-e as they wear fast and the extra grip is only really needed for cornering. panaracers suck imo.

USP is that pic of you in your profile taken at High Rocks? i ride there every so often and the rock you are sitting on looks just like the one at the bottom of the quick DH that dumps out at the creek on the other side of the road.
Yep, that is high rocks. Last time I was there on the enduro, made some spots a lot more fun!!!

#20 ·
rollertoaster said:
The guy on the enduro was Ryan. I'm probably the one you thought you rode with. I remember you riding with us in the van. I think I was riding a green bottlerocket, or chumba f5.

We'll be starting the weekday shuttles again as soon as the sunset gets later again. Most of the trails are top notch right now, we've been keeping everything running even in the winter.
Yeah, I do remember you now, but gop427's bike looked familiar, too. Once we get more daylight, I'd love to head down again. I am working on some nice trails here, I might need to invite you guys sometime to return the favor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.