Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Megavalanche?

946 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Garlock 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone here done the Alpe d'Huez Megavalache? I'm considering entering in a years time, mostly because I have niether the time nor money to prepare for it this year. How gruelling is it? How technical is it? And do you need to train on anything specific before doing it? I can find surprisingly little about it, other than youtube videos.

Also, ill be doing it on my 7" front single, 9 back freerider> Possibly not ideal but not too bad I rekon. Tyrewise, wet screams for the snow? Nevegals if not snowy? Thoughts?

#2 ·
Hi!
I've raced Megavalanche 6 times,so I can tell you some things about it...
It will be the most difficult race you will ever enter
It will be the most fun you can have on a race
No need for more than 7",but doesn`t hurt too bad
Tires?It´s 3km snow,25km dirt/rocks/roots-do you really want to use mud tires?
Training?Oh yes,it will definitely help...
Qualification race 15km (about 35 minutes) Main event 28km (for you,1h30m would be good)
Megavalanche is all you have heard and then some!

#3 ·
Nozes said:
Hi!
I've raced Megavalanche 6 times,so I can tell you some things about it...
It will be the most difficult race you will ever enter
It will be the most fun you can have on a race
No need for more than 7",but doesn`t hurt too bad
Tires?It´s 3km snow,25km dirt/rocks/roots-do you really want to use mud tires?
Training?Oh yes,it will definitely help...
Qualification race 15km (about 35 minutes) Main event 28km (for you,1h30m would be good)
Megavalanche is all you have heard and then some!
Wow thanks, sounds great. In what ways will it be so difficult? I actually thought 7" might be too much, but sounds just fine then.
Youre right about the tyres, i'll probably use something like nevegals or high rollers then. I have quite some time to prepare. Is it mostly downhill or is there much climbing/ pedalling involved?

#4 ·
redrook said:
Wow thanks, sounds great. In what ways will it be so difficult? I actually thought 7" might be too much, but sounds just fine then.
Youre right about the tyres, i'll probably use something like nevegals or high rollers then. I have quite some time to prepare. Is it mostly downhill or is there much climbing/ pedalling involved?
My dream is to do this and i'm working on the skills needed to complete. There is a pretty good article (personal account) about it in the October '08 Decline issue. The author used an MKIII and regretted not using an adjustable seatpost. Have an awesome year training and i'll be looking out for your Megavalanche experience!

#6 ·
redrook said:
Well the Mega is difficult in many ways...and fun in many ways also!
The altitude,the tiyring tracks,the agressive "do or die" passing moves from other riders (or yourself),the 5 a.m. waking call the final race day...Better be prepared for a beating of a lifetime!
Me and my mates drive from Portugal in a van,20+ hours,arrive 4 days before the race,ride 40km every day,training the Mega tracks and many others,waking up 7 am to get on the lifts early...
Pedaling?The qualification track has some 5min. grinding up a fireroad,not difficult,but the main race has some flat and uphill sections,i'd say about 15% max of the whole track.We're talking about 2700m drop in altitude! :eekster:
Today,14hGMT,entries open!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.