Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Just built my oh-Nine Fun bike

3K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  StinkyOne 
#1 · (Edited)
Though i'd have a play bike, thew together some old parts, new parts, and this was the outcome. 3
35lbs with DH tubes as it sits.

2009 SXT large frame, black
Manitou Travis Ti (Temporary fork..)
2009 Fox 40rc2 lowered to 7" travel (to replace the travis)
Roval Traverssee Wheelset (WheelSET is 1500g... that's a smidgen heavier then some DH tires....)
Shimano XTR Shadow Drivetrain
Shimano XTR shifter
Spank 777 bar (31+ inches wide)
Avid Juicy ultimate brakes, 203mm rotors (probably will replace with Elixer CRs as funds become available.)
Spec Clutch SX tires 2.3
Sram pc991 hollow pin chain
gamut p30 guide
Dura-ace 11-23 Ti cassette
King headset.

Tire Wheel Rim Spoke Automotive tire

Automotive tire Fender Carbon Motorcycle accessories Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Spoke Rim Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Carbon Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke Bicycle

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle part

See less See more
#2 ·
How come my lbs told me I couldnt get one of these frames till February but I keep seeing them pop up. Damn I cant wait for my bike to sell so I can get my hands on one of those frames. Awesome man. what did you use for a headtube reducer? looks like your just using a 1 1/8" top and bottom? no?

#4 ·
XJman07 said:
How come my lbs told me I couldnt get one of these frames till February but I keep seeing them pop up. Damn I cant wait for my bike to sell so I can get my hands on one of those frames. Awesome man. what did you use for a headtube reducer? looks like your just using a 1 1/8" top and bottom? no?
I have one more large and medium frame at my shop. PM me if you want one. i ship.

Frames come with a lower cup reducer since no tapered forks are offered aftermarket at this point.

#7 ·
Uncle Cliffy said:
That frame wins in black... Nice. No single crown?

Also, what C.R. do you have there?
My three motos are :06 Honda ST1300 (mini goldwing as i call it.), 08 Kawasaki ZX6r (power commander 3, velocity stacks, K&N filter, and soon to have Akropovic Evo Full Ti / Carbon exhaust and fender eliminator), and then a 1985 Yamaha 650 maxim (Japan model. my dad bought it when he was in the navy stationed over there.)

#15 ·
kamikazee ideki said:
sweet bike! tell us how those wheels hold up!?
Actually they're incredibly strong. They're my secret weapon.. I technically shouldn't be telling you guys about them they're so good. I weigh 150 ish and am smooth, and they've held up to my racing now for a season. I bought a fresh pair for this bike though. They're pricey (read 900 for the set) but are so freaking light.

#23 ·
Very nice bike man... lots of bling. I am very hesitant on those wheels... I wouldn't ride them :p

This is funny though, it seems those rims are using NoTubes (Stans) technology:

BIG FLATS, N.Y. - Nov 12, 2008 - On September 15, 2008, NoTubes.com® filed a lawsuit against Specialized Bicycle Components Inc. ("Specialized") alleging that certain rims and wheels of Specialized infringe U.S. Patent No. 7,334,846 (the "'846 patent"). This lawsuit, styled K.G. Motors, Inc. v. Specialized Bicycle Components, Inc., is currently pending in the United States District Court for the Western District of New York.

As set forth in NoTubes's complaint, Specialized is alleged to infringe the '846 patent by making, using, selling, offering for sale, and/or importing into the United States certain tubeless wheels and rims, including without limitation Specialized's Roval brand wheels. The technology disclosed and claimed in the '846 patent was invented by NoTubes's founder and owner, Stan Koziatek, while pursuing a better solution for tubeless bicycle wheels and rims.
http://www.notubes.com/newsdesk_info.php/newsdesk_id/87?osCsid=fa9ccfaeff22f401eda452b3bb841b28

Patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7334846.html

#26 ·
kamikazee ideki said:
would these roval wheels hold up as well as a well built pair of 721's to hopes?
No. the mavic's are a tad stronger when built properly. I run them because they are so damn light. it makes riding sooo much more fun. The bike is 10x as responsive and flickable with such low rotating mass. Accelerates faster, stops faster, jumps better, and whips a WHOLE lot better because of the reduction in gyroscopic effect. Wheels are the one area on the bike you DONT skimp on. period.

Took it out for it's first ride today, thanks to my lovely girl for shuttling me, just some local trails.. nothing to good since everything out here in Co is either too cold to ride, or covered in snow, or chock full o' XC'ers.

Rides oh so very smooth. A VAST improvement over the previous iteration. The goal of the new frame was to increase small bump absorption, as well as stiffen up the frame with a full length seat tube. Let me tell you boys and girls, it's a stiff one! (*cough* that's what she said!) Immature jokes aside Spec's designers really did improve upon the vernerable design.

Ride quality : Supple initially, Yet progressive overall. It's the bike that pedals like an XC bike, jumps around like a slope-style bike, yet when you hit a drop or big hit it feels like a full blown DH'er. This bike truly does have a Bottomless feel. (feels sorta like a small version of the Foes 2:1 dhs mono.. smooth, progressive, and never ending butter travel)

Build quality : Not a poor weld on the frame. I've seen many frames from various manufacturers that have poor welds, spotty welds, or poor penetration welds. All of the SX Trail frames I've seen at my shop (i think 5 now... ) have all been perfectly welded, assembled, and prepped. Not a bolt out of torque spec, all necessary surfaces were faced, chased, and reamed spot on to tolerances with negligible variance from frame to frame. All of the frames had true frame spacing (*measured 73mm BB width, 134.5mm dropout width, etc. ) which is actually a big deal as i've had two intense M6 frames come to my shop with 8mm variance in wheel dropout! :eek: Big S delivers with quality craftsmanship with lifetime frame warranty. :D need i say more?

Overall having a silly light bike like that made for a really fun ride. Never did it seem a chore to throw this thing around on the trail, yet i never longed for more travel in any of the hairiest of circumstances. I can't wait to get rid of that Poo Travis and get my lowered 40rc2 on there. That'll improve ride quality even further (as well as drop more weight too :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.