Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

When will Michelin get it right?????

2K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
The tread pattern in the DH32 is all around a great tire but their biggest problem is they sell too many in the 2.8 size.

They sell so many because
1) it is a great tire so people put up with how big it is
2) All the new riders buy it because bigger is better (just like the 3.0 Gazzies)

Keep the 2.8....that is cool

BUT come on Michelin offer that tire in a 2.5 or 2.6 ....you would sell a lot more tires if you had a smaller version along with the bigger version

#6 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I am skinny (189 pounds)......want to rotate my tires........if more people complain we will have a 2.5
wow, good stuff on loosing that much weight.

Anyway, I'd suggest writing them a letter or email. I don't think michies main concern is the MTB market, and I doubt they have people sitting on MTB forums at all times looking for this.

#7 ·
I've had two DH32 blow off my rims twice. One was a 2007 tire and the other a 2008. Both fronts, both at 35psi. Granted one was on a doublewide, the other on an MTX. I'd love to run them on the front again but i don't trust them.

I've never had a washout problem as bad as my DH24's. I know people say to cut them but why should i have to modify tires right when i get them.

#8 ·
Combatcm said:
I've had two DH32 blow off my rims twice. One was a 2007 tire and the other a 2008. Both fronts, both at 35psi. Granted one was on a doublewide, the other on an MTX. I'd love to run them on the front again but i don't trust them.

I've never had a washout problem as bad as my DH24's. I know people say to cut them but why should i have to modify tires right when i get them.
Wow good to know I'm not the only one with that happening. Was running it (tubed) on a WTB Dual Duty rim in front at 32 psi. Too bad I was far beyond topped out going down the fastest section of Kamikaze at Mammoth...

#10 ·
DHidiot said:
They need to make a burlier damn casing. A 2.5 Comp 32 with a Maxxis casing would be a GREAT tire. It'd be even better with some ramping on the middle knobs.
I always thought the casing on the micheline was thicker then the maxxis. I know they feel stiffer then the maxxis

#11 ·
William42 said:
wow, good stuff on loosing that much weight. thanks

Anyway, I'd suggest writing them a letter or email. I don't think michies main concern is the MTB market, and I doubt they have people sitting on MTB forums at all times looking for this.
letters have not worked and there is a michelin rep who reads the forum and responds....I am trying grass roots approach. Even there sponsored pros ask for the comp 32 tread pattern in a smaller tire

#12 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I always thought the casing on the micheline was thicker then the maxxis. I know they feel stiffer then the maxxis
The Michi casing is noodly compared to the Maxxis. Hold brand new ones side by side and try to bend the sidewalls. Flatted plenty of Michi's and I've only flatted 2 Maxxis 2 ply's ever, doing really stupid/harsh stuff.

#14 ·
Fotog said:
Skinny and 189 lbs don't really go well together.

Also, you probably don't need to rotate your tires as most bike treads are F or R specific.
Think before you post. If I was 189lbs I'd be unhealthy skinny. Different people, different body types.
And Bob, Mitchy is redoing all their tires currently if I heard right. Updated tread patterns, and who knows, maybe a 32 in a 2.5. Enough people have complained for long enough, I'm sure they're well aware.
I've always wanted to try the 32, but the size turned me off, that and the thin side walls. Hopefully those things will be addressed in the "new" line.

#15 ·
DHidiot said:
Wow good to know I'm not the only one with that happening. Was running it (tubed) on a WTB Dual Duty rim in front at 32 psi. Too bad I was far beyond topped out going down the fastest section of Kamikaze at Mammoth...
yea.. same here dude
one of the worst crashes I had at Mammoth was on that last corner of Kami (over by the hay stacks), when my DH32 decided to roll off the front wheel...
boy was that fun, exploding into those little bump doubles at full speed. :skep:

i've yet to flat a dual-ply Maxxis out there

#16 ·
DHGnaR said:
Think before you post. If I was 189lbs I'd be unhealthy skinny. Different people, different body types.
And Bob, Mitchy is redoing all their tires currently if I heard right. Updated tread patterns, and who knows, maybe a 32 in a 2.5. Enough people have complained for long enough, I'm sure they're well aware.
I've always wanted to try the 32, but the size turned me off, that and the thin side walls. Hopefully those things will be addressed in the "new" line.
Not to be a prick, but you'd have to be just over 7ft tall @ 189lbs to be on the borderline of a normal BMI.

And statistically, there aren't that many people who are over 7ft.

#17 ·
Fotog said:
Not to be a prick, but you'd have to be just over 7ft tall @ 189lbs to be on the borderline of a normal BMI.

you do realize that BMI is complete bullsh!t
a legacy system that was invented a long time ago, and is archaically outdated and inaccurate

There are just way too many variables to consider that the BMI system never takes into account. Some people's bones are denser than other's, some people have more muscle mass than others.

Fact is, it's impossible to cram everyone into one generalized BMI table and call it accurate.

#20 ·
Fotog said:

According to my doc, if I were 189 I'd be almost 20lbs underweight. I'm supposed to sit right around 205lbs. And I'm only 6'1".
You're not being a prick, just uninformed... no one can blame you, unless you choose ignorance.

#21 ·
blender said:
you do realize that BMI is complete bullsh!t
a legacy system that was invented a long time ago, and is archaically outdated and inaccurate

There are just way too many variables to consider that the BMI system never takes into account. Some people's bones are denser than other's, some people have more muscle mass than others.

Fact is, it's impossible to cram everyone into one generalized BMI table and call it accurate.
According to the BMI I am classified as "Obese" and I just did a 50 mile 9,200 vertical foot ride on my Freeride bike the other day. I'd like to see an "Obese" person do that!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.