Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Four Cross Training

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  trailadvent 
#1 ·
This is going to be my first year racing 4x. In the spring when the mountain still has snow and the snow in my backyard has melted I would like to build some features to practice on. Some ideas include rollers into berms and out of berms, S berms, table tops and a set of rollers, also some drops. Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to work on my flow and speed. I have a single speed so most of the spped will come from flow.

#4 ·
kitsapfreerider said:
This is going to be my first year racing 4x. In the spring when the mountain still has snow and the snow in my backyard has melted I would like to build some features to practice on. Some ideas include rollers into berms and out of berms, S berms, table tops and a set of rollers, also some drops. Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to work on my flow and speed. I have a single speed so most of the spped will come from flow.
Dude, Pump Track...

#6 ·
Hey Matt, the owner of Nordic said he might put in a track and I heard there is a couple of tracks up north. When the snow melts we should do some urban stuff around town. Where is that track? Is it down by the temp park? I think it would be awesome to ride localy.

#7 ·
no the bmx track is not around town at all, so thats a bummer, its out jackson st (hwy 76) past hwy 41, i havent been to check it out yet its on my to do list... and yea im down for some urban, theres a few sweet features around campus ive been meaning to hit up.

here is the website...its kinda vague http://www.winnebagolandbmx.org/

and fon du lac has a track too so one could easily race 2 or 3 nights a week

nice, i would race the 4x (and even help build) at nordic

#10 · (Edited)
Im not familiar with ya region, but having built our own DS track awhile back and done some BMX I was a regional champ back in my junior age group days!
One thing more than anything that people I see overlook is cornering! Work on that as well as flow!, anyone can jump and pucka up most seem to want to huck and find that cool, anyone can build jumps anywhere, ya got the right idea about flow, find a patch and make lots of turns off camber inside outside and just keep riding, work on line tech!

Even if ya take cones to a field, and do stuff there or a patch of dirt! Its what e did as kids in empty sections next door to our houses growin up as kids..

Corners!
You'd be surprised how most people will see only one line in a corner no matter how wide or how narrow but there are many lines or angles of attack that are fast entry and exit!

Work on finding these, identifying them, this is what will make you faster, especially on courses you don't know, identifying these lines early on, will make you fast and give yu the jump!

Walk the track up and down, set to mem,!

Pump up and down the back of trannies, to maintain flow!

Pedaling in and out of of corners, try cranks 6 or 12 oclock try them @ 3 or 9 oclock and see the diff,don't be afraid to try different things and mark your findings!

I love cornering as much if not more than jumping, and good entry exit at speed moto style or on the pegs is a blast when well timed, don't try to rail a berm try to apex the berm like a wave and pump it when your timing gets dialed, imagine a bottom turn on a surf board! and pedal out of it..

Gearing can be specific to your course carry some different rear cogs for quick changes if need be, I think in the end I switched to a 28t fr /12 t & 11t rear by mem which is a little hazy, I was running a 36t / 16/14t but that was what it came with and was a bit wack

Too big a ring up front topped out in the straights, tough to get off the blocks, only lost one race though! to one of the best around so not unhappy going down to him!

oh forgot Tires!
What evea floats it for you, I really like my Larsen TTs 2.35s fr / 2.35 or 2.0 rear if smooth some times holy rollers for some reason I prefer the wire beads in this model..

Good luck enjoy build up and just have fun, and ride, doing is the best training not talking about it! you will be surprised how much this will help your other forms of riding! inclu jumping! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.