Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

learning to table/ hip/ general style!

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  blender 
#1 ·
hey guys
been riding allsorts of bikes motos and MTB for like 10 years, but recently focussed on downhill I cant get the hang of hipping table style on my glory...

Ive never donw any BMX or dirt jumping which prob explains my lack of jumping skills, im fine on DH race courses but would like to improve my tehcnique and style...

Any guys out there been through simiar position and what worked for them? I dont have access to dirt jumps but theres a few BMX tracks and skateparks around here.

Im thinking on the lines of a small 24inch hardtail or even a BMX to practice, any ideas appreciated

cheers

#4 ·
I got a BMX bike a few months back to work on general bike handling skills when jumping, and to work on my pumping skills. When I first hopped on the thing it felt so different I assumed that anything I learned wouldn't transfer to DH. Well a few months later and I'm far more comfortable in the air on the DH bike after goofing around on the BMX a bit.
I think it's the best option for a goof around bike to mess around on around the neighborhood and at the local BMX track if you have one. It's cheaper if you don't want to go top of the line, and has really helped my riding improve.

#5 ·
Mwehahaha said:
Watch motocross videos and learn from them.
You can only learn from Moto X videos to a certain extent. Some of the main principles are the same, but those end concerning:
-the difference in weight of the motorcycle over the bicycle; much more has to be done to do a successful whip/table top on a motorcycle than a bicycle, simply because of the weight difference
-the different physical aspect of being able to throttle off a launch, and in the air, to change the jump trajectory, on a motorcycle

#6 ·
rmb_mike said:
You can only learn from Moto X videos to a certain extent. Some of the main principles are the same, but those end concerning:
-the difference in weight of the motorcycle over the bicycle; much more has to be done to do a successful whip/table top on a motorcycle than a bicycle, simply because of the weight difference
-the different physical aspect of being able to throttle off a launch, and in the air, to change the jump trajectory, on a motorcycle
I agree completely. Your first point demonstrates what I am trying to say... the rider must move a lot more to make that big bike move... in this way it is easier to see the physical movements of a particular trick.

#9 ·
Video's will help you get an idea of how certain pro's do it. I learned by building tiny hips and table tops at a dirt track near home. Then built them bigger and bigger.

#12 ·
find an open field and build a table top.......get use to hittig that over and over....then start pushing rear end to one side or the other.....hen start twisting bars to get more flavor....key is practice practice practice

#15 ·
One trick that seems to help me to table top is to wrap the hand that you are going to pull in to your body more forward and underneath the bars so when you pull up on it, it's easier to get the bike fully tabled. I also compress the suspension on the face of the jump and release at the lip to make the bike come into my body a little more.

#16 ·
jeng said:
One trick that seems to help me to table top is to wrap the hand that you are going to pull in to your body more forward and underneath the bars so when you pull up on it, it's easier to get the bike fully tabled. I also compress the suspension on the face of the jump and release at the lip to make the bike come into my body a little more.
That makes sense. Thanks for the advice. If it would ever stop raining and our playground dries up, I am going to try that technique. Been wanting to start trying table tops anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.