Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Industry Nine Failure!!!!!!!

32K views 262 replies 81 participants last post by  sq225917 
#1 ·
Photobucket

FRIEND OF MINE ENTERED BERM AT A MEDIUM RATE OF SPEED. SOFT BERM, FRONT WHEEL WASHED AND STOPED! WHEEL WENT BOOM! MORE THAN HALF THE SPKOES JUST BROKE IN HALF. ANY I9 RIDERS HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS! WHEEL WAS BRAND NEW ASSEMBLED BY INDUSTRY NINE

See less See more
#3 ·
I dont think anyone else has entered a berm at medium speed and had failures like that. There is ALWAYS some other contributing factor.

Unfortunately with the quality of the photo I cant really tell if it is single cycle or multi cycle fatigue on the areas of the spoke that failed. I would suggest contacting I9 - they will assess the situation properly - they really stand by their product.

#5 ·
I've been hearing about that with the I9's an awful lot lately, and I9 pulling the whole "our product can't possibly fail like that, can't help ya" thing. Gotta love the Hadleys...you know, something that uses spokes you can just about anywhere?

#9 ·
OMG, there are such case in my country, but it is on a XC bike.
the guy bring his new wheelset to ride, just normal riding, no jump, nothing!
and the wheel suddenly fold and causes his lungs to puncture. And thats within 30minutes.
LAMO!

I would only trust their classic hub, but King is still much better.

#10 ·
I had a friend have a similar failure of his I-9's; however, it was right after the shop retensioned the wheel for him and they treated as a warranty item and replaced everything quickly and at no charge. He came down a steep incline right into a sweeping left hand berm and about 6 spokes snapped.

#11 ·
I always find it is best to make an all caps rant thread on the internet be for contacting the manufacturer when something goes wrong. That way, you'll be sure to give them a chance to sort their sh!t out, and you're certain to get the best service.

I think the best part is that you're not even the one who broke them.

This thread is retarded. Any wheel can fail, i9's have great engagement, they're super light, quite stiff, and stuff like this is a rarity - sure it happens, but destroying wheels is no more common then any other setup. Way to be a jackass dude.

#16 ·
I broke a few spoke in the same way... front end washed out in a corner and I laid the bike over pretty hard. I only broke them on one side (the side I landed on), I went back and looked over the trail and found a rock that the wheel must have landed on an just broke the spokes.

My guess is that something similar happened to that wheel also. Like a stick getting stuck behind the lowers of something else. I find it very hard to believe that they just "exploded".

And this is just me opinion, but MOST spokes usually break right there at the nipple... very few spokes actually break in the center. That is why we have spokes that are tapered or bladed.

#17 ·
Just curious, I've got 3 sets of I9's and always have the spoke tension checked every couple of weeks of hard riding (just my typical overkilled preventative maintenance schedule), would a poorly tensioned wheel allow this type of failure to happen? Maybe/maybe not?

#18 ·
My I9 AMs break spokes on the rear wheel and always on the drive side. This time, I was climbing a steep incline, and the spoke broke at the hub. Having said that, I9 is a joy to deal with, and their products are still the lightest, stiffest and most durable I have used. I also have an older set of Mavic CrossMax, and while they are lighter and I have never had an issue with them, they flex too much and don't lend themselves to instilling confidence for my style and the conditions that we ride in here in WNC. Living close to their production facility, it does make my warranty experiences easier. Wheels fail for a variety of reasons, but nothing ever "just breaks".

#19 ·
Quick to Condem the OP's reaction?! Try to understand him first!

William42 said:
I always find it is best to make an all caps rant thread on the internet be for contacting the manufacturer when something goes wrong. That way, you'll be sure to give them a chance to sort their sh!t out, and you're certain to get the best service.

I think the best part is that you're not even the one who broke them.

This thread is retarded. Any wheel can fail, i9's have great engagement, they're super light, quite stiff, and stuff like this is a rarity - sure it happens, but destroying wheels is no more common then any other setup. Way to be a jackass dude.
There's no point in coming down on the OP for posting in the way he did. You're forgetting the PRICE of these wheels. Quite extravagant if you ask most people, and because of that, I'm sure it'd be upsetting to most people who expect high performance and durability, yet only to find a quick failure. If these were $250 wheels, then maybe the rider wouldn't expect and react as much. Maybe he worked hard and stretched and saved his pennies to buy the wheels, so this would be a big disappointment.

To the OP, sorry to hear of the failure, but thanks for the valuable post to us consumer. Sure things can fail, ,but for the premium price of these wheels, I bet NO ONE expects them to break so quickly.

#20 ·
Who knew aluminum spokes wouldn't hold up?* :rolleyes:

It looks like the failures are due to torque being transmitted between the hubs and the rims, which is a primary function of a wheel when the bike is accelerating or braking. I don't think impact is an issue, and it looks like stress built up at the interface between the spokes and hub. Time for a re-design.

*me

#21 ·
feanaro said:
Photobucket

FRIEND OF MINE ENTERED BERM AT A MEDIUM RATE OF SPEED. SOFT BERM, FRONT WHEEL WASHED AND STOPED! WHEEL WENT BOOM! MORE THAN HALF THE SPKOES JUST BROKE IN HALF. ANY I9 RIDERS HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS! WHEEL WAS BRAND NEW ASSEMBLED BY INDUSTRY NINE
Those wheels look familiar... were they on ebay? Are you sure they are brand new (and not re-laced to new rim's wheels)?

#23 ·
Aust95 said:
There's no point in coming down on the OP for posting in the way he did. You're forgetting the PRICE of these wheels. Quite extravagant if you ask most people, and because of that, I'm sure it'd be upsetting to most people who expect high performance and durability, yet only to find a quick failure. If these were $250 wheels, then maybe the rider wouldn't expect and react as much. Maybe he worked hard and stretched and saved his pennies to buy the wheels, so this would be a big disappointment.

To the OP, sorry to hear of the failure, but thanks for the valuable post to us consumer. Sure things can fail, ,but for the premium price of these wheels, I bet NO ONE expects them to break so quickly.
I work in a shop. I deal with warranty and tech on a pretty regular basis. Trust me dude, no company wants to see sh!t like this pasted all over the internet. A friendly tone of voice and thanks will take you alot further then "OMGZ MAI FREND GOT SKREWD"

I know it sucks, but these things happen from time to time with ANY bike product. The spokes are aluminum, and highly tensioned, they don't do well with rocks and sticks. I'm willing to bet that a rock or stick hit those spokes. Yah, it sucks, but i9's a good company. You pay for a good product and good service, and partially just bling. Just because something is bling doesn't mean that its amazing, but i9 has generally excellent CS. Posting stuff like this will not take you a long way in getting your stuff taken care of.

Further, if those hubs are brand new then I'm a goat, those things have more use on them then my one year old set of throw away outlaws that I haven't tensioned or trued once.

Like I said, this thread is retarded.

#26 ·
Dhidiot, has it spot on, i'm guessing you are pretty engineering orientated based on a few of your other posts.

You don't want the threads for the spokes at the hub end of things, it's a matter of angles, sheer coefficients and variable spoke loadings.

As smart as I9 think they are, this is a basic engineering flaw, that why no one from Pulstar to Mavic have ever done turret hubs this way. Maybe they should spend more on their FEA software, then they would have reasoned to make threads at the rim end of things.

I'm sure their service dept will do the right thing, after all reputations are made and lost on web forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.