Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new bike search

845 views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Raptordude 
#1 ·
#3 ·
EDizzleVR6 said:
looking for a single-crown freeride bike that is less then $3k from a bike shop. i like the giant glory 1 for msrp <3k
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2275/32134/zoom/
and the cannondale perp 2/3 are pretty sick
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9VNG2.html
what other bikes are sold at common bike shops for less then 3K new?
(have looked at konas the new 09 models are lame)
the khs lucky 7 looks pretty sweet too
http://www.khsbicycles.com/01_lucky7_09.htm
ive had good luck with the lucky 7 except for the marz. fork:madman: .....i also ride my friends perp 2 and i feel like its one of the best freeride bikes for the money:thumbsup:
are all 3 bikes at the same shop????? if not go with the best LBS.....

#5 ·
Based on what you get alone, I would have to go with the Giant. This is geo aside.

The Maestro is a great suspension, and the Glory is a really superb frame. They sacrifice on smaller componentry that are easily broken or replaced anyhow, rather than the others that give you a Totem IS (not as good as the MC Totem) and the 66 RCV (not as good as an RC3). The Giant gives you a real 66 RC3, and a Roco R in the back, but sacrifices on shifting. However, many of these things are sacrificed over the next year, such as rings and cassettes and one can more inexpensively upgrade piece-wise, rather than shell out 1G for a fork.

WIthout a doubt, provided it has the geo you're looking for, I'd go Glory.

#10 ·
thanks for some response, yes i have already been buying used, for my last 2 bikes, i just built up my first bike a month ago, and don't think it would be price efficient to build up a freeride bike (itd add up to 3k+ w/o sacrificing parts) and this is the first bike i want to buy new, these few bikes are from local bike shops, not just one.
any others? heard about the mongoose, but id still choose the glory/perp over ther line

#11 ·
hazylogic said:
Pro's an con's of the RC3? As I'm looking at these kind of bikes myself.
The RC3 is simply a more sophisticated damper. While Zoke has made strides in their fixed orifice type dampers, the RCV still doesn't hold much to dampers like the RC2 and RC3 which had proper high speed valving circuits and allowed tuning of LSC, while not spiking. The big problem with their fixed orifice dampers is that they feel good at low speeds, where the fixed port sizing is optimized, but at big high speed hits, they can't flow enough oil and spike and you have trouble getting full travel. Zoke has come a ways by adding compression adjust to them, but they simply don't work at high speeds or have the tunability of the RC dampers. I also don't feel the Maestro would be done justice by using anything less than the RC3 or other quality damper up front.

#12 ·
i think you could probably do better than the glory for that price. it only has strokers and x.5's although the suspension is pretty awesome. i know they aren't cool anymore but i loved riding one...transition dirtbag. for less than 3000(because the 66 is for sale for 550), you can get a bike with a dhx 5.0 and a 66 with this build
Chainring: N/A
Chainguide: TBC Single Ring Guide
Stem: Truvativ Holzfeller 1.125/1.5 40mm
Handlebar: Truvativ Hussefelt 31.8 x 680 x 50
Headset: FSA Orbit Z1.5r / FSA Orbit xtreme Pro 1.5
Cranks: Truvativ Hussefelt 170mm 1.0BG 34t
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Howitzer Team 73mm
Front Brake: Avid Juicy 7 8"
Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 7 6"
Tire - Front: Maxxis Minion 26x2.5 Wire
Tire - Rear: Maxxis Minion 26x2.5 Wire
Tubes: Maxxis Welterweight
Pedals: TBC Stepdown
Seatpost: Truvativ XR DC x 350mm
Saddle: TBC Park n' Ride FR
Grips: ODI Cross Trainer X
Cassette: SRAM PG950 11-32
Wheelset: TBC - Revolution 32 Black
Rear Shifter: Sram X9
Front Shifter: N/A
Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 Medium Cage
Front Derailleur: N/A
Chain: KMC z9000

that's a way better deal and you can get a transiton dealer near you.

#13 ·
ya, i've definatly been in the transition forum and on their website, from what i know, there isn't a transition dealer near me, but i could always order one
the dirtbag, bottlerocket, and the blindside are all within my budget, and in consideration, your insight about the coolness factor is a little true seens how there still selling the 2007 models, but the bikes are sick in their own right

what does anyone think about the rm slayer?

#17 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
if you are not sure then save your cash and buy used....ride it for awhile then sell it for about same price and then buy a bike with more knowledge of the bike that works best for you
This is a slippery road to go down my friend :D

i went from a banshee morphine (hardtail, enough said) to a transition dirtbag (too small), to a transition bottlerocket (wanted a better all arounder), to a nicolai ufo st (heavy and too small), and now an intense SS (perfect!!!). now 2 were the wrong size for me so that is some excuse, upgraditis is a serious condition though, very contagious.

the SS is going nowhere, i even got a Socom to compliment it.

The glory 1 would be sick, i have always wanted to try a giant.
you can get some good deals on ebay though. maybe try to find a used

turner highline
intense Slopestyle
glory 0 or 1
demo 7
transition dirtbag

all can be had for well under 3 grand

#18 ·
One of the guys at the bike shop I race for is trying to sell his 2008 Perp 1. He literally rode the thing 2-3 times and never on anything rough. He wants $3,000 for it but I bet you could talk him down a bit. If you are interested just PM me and ill give you his email.

#20 ·
I have to note an error on this thread. The Glory 1 comes with a 66RCV. We've sold 2 2009's at our shop and that is the fork they came with. (Our rep. said the catalog has a typo.) Either way, not to sound like a salesman, but the Glory FR's ride so awesome it outweighs a lot of other bikes in that price range. ;)

ruppguts said:
The Slayer is an awesome bike, but it's not a freeride bike.
Don't forget the Slayer SS. That model is made for freeride. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
ya, ive had my eye on the perp, thanks for the discussion. i will be saving money for atleast the next two months, currently have this as my desktop. unless i find something sweet on craigslist when i have the money, ima plan to save up for the perp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.