Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CK heavy duty axle....

634 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  keen 
#1 ·
What do you think about that: I expect upgrade my King disc brake quik release rear hub with heavy duty axle, but it´s enought or also I mount the stainless steel shell drive ?
thank´s and happy 2009.

#2 ·
Are you asking about upgrading to CKs fun bolts which use a 10mm allen head or the new 135mm axle they are bringing out?

I assume since you are talking quick release you have 135mm not 150mm rear hub?

I'd go full 135mm myself, and also go the stainless steel shell drive!

Info here!

Scroll to bottom for weights of shell!

G
#4 ·
I run a 135mm CK ISO with the heavy duty axle and the original aluminum drive shell. The only thing with the aluminum drive shell is that you have to run an indexed cassette like the SRAM 990 or else the individual cogs will shift and tear into the drive shell under heavy load. If you're dropping the money on King's, you can probably afford a good cassette.

Other than that, I love the Fun Bolts for the simple reason that I can still remove my rear wheel with a multi tool instead of having to carry another wrench to remove the wheel like normal bolt on hubs.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
sixsixtysix said:
I run a 135mm CK ISO with the heavy duty axle and the original aluminum drive shell. The only thing with the aluminum drive shell is that you have to run an indexed cassette like the SRAM 990 or else the individual cogs will shift and tear into the drive shell under heavy load. If you're dropping the money on King's, you can probably afford a good cassette.

Other than that, I love the Fun Bolts for the simple reason that I can still remove my rear wheel with a multi tool instead of having to carry another wrench to remove the wheel like normal bolt on hubs.:thumbsup:
that's the setup i run. i have a 990 on an alu. drive shell and a 970 on the steel shell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.