Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kona Stinky really hard to pedal

5K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  tomsmoto 
#1 ·
I just got a 06 Kona Stinky for Christmas and I'm having a couple problems with it.

Without a doubt I love the bike, but it's almost impossible to ride in the conditions. I'm a small guy; 17 years old, 120lbs, 5ft 8in. I'm having troubles with ease of pedaling. It's a real workout pedaling the bike down the road and I feel that it isn't supposed to be like that. Whenever I ride up a hill it's the worst.

I jsut can't go out trail riding like I used to on my old bike. I'm not sure if it's the weight of the bike, (23lbs) or the fork absorbing the power i put into the pedals, but I need to fix this problem.

I'd like to do a usual tune up to this bike too. What kind of lubricant should I use to lubricate the rear shock? How can I stiffen the Drop Off 3 fork so I can pedal easier? Are there any other things that need to be done during a normal tune up?

#7 ·
As others have said, it's not meant for longer flat or uphill rides. It's meant to go down with maybe short bursts of pedal power. You could stiffen up the suspension, but you'd be hurting it's abilities for what it was meant for.

#10 ·
look into some lighter dh tires, or just switch to some trailbike tires if your not going to do shuttle runs or ride at the ski mountain. I just switched to some nevegal super tacky 2.5 rear and 2.7 front and now the bike hates the road or flat stuff but I dont really care because I will get much stronger riding this thing!

#12 ·
i had same problem with my patriot when i first got it, a small 5 mile road ride just killed me. now after a year of riding it is can ride 10 miles to leckhampton (local DH trails) do a good 3 hours DH then ride the 10 miles back home again.

so if you don't want to spend any money, keep riding! :)

#15 ·
Try putting a better rolling tire on the rear, like a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent. If your rear shock doesn't have a pedaling platform, getting one that does will also help. Pedaling technique is also key, you'll want to sit down and spin faster rather than trying to stand and mash the pedals. Good Luck!

#17 ·
Rob_Lav said:
I just got a 06 Kona Stinky for Christmas and I'm having a couple problems with it.
I'm a small guy; 17 years old, 120lbs, 5ft 8in. ......(23lbs)...
I see more of a physics issue. 120lbs pushing a 40+ lb bike. You need something lighter or more gym time.

Also in RI get to Lincoln Woods. We build a ton of good FR trails. Check out BustedSpoke.com..

#20 ·
Rob_Lav said:
So the guess of 23lbs sucked ass. lol

I think peddling sitting down was easier but a much more of a workout.
Standing up and pedaling on a Stinky tends to give you that pogo stick effect.

If you are going to pedal it, staying seated and focusing on a smooth pedal stroke is the key.

Also, an '06 Stinky is probably closer to 45+ pounds - they are heavy bikes. Three guys I ride with have them and they are tanks. Great beginner bike though, as it will take a heck of a beating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.