Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what bike should i get?

1K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  tuumbaq 
#1 ·
Ive just sold my old bike that was a Haro X6
im looking to get a used bike as im only 14 and dont have that much money to throw around, so it would have to be in the range of $800-$900
I kept on bottoming out the rear shock, so i need something with more rear travel.
i was just wondering what bike would be best for me if i like doing big hucks but also like hauling balls down a trail.
Any info will help
thanks

P.S. Ive been looking at a 06 big hit III for about 1200 CAD...what do you think:)

#5 ·
800-900 = 20-40ft :nono: And are you seriously going to be attempting 20-40ft gaps? If you are 14, and the fact that you only have 900 to spend means you aren't sponsored, I find it very hard to beleive you have the skills, maybe the kajones but not the skills to hit a 40ft gap. If you tried anything big enough to be worthy of working up to a 40ft gap, your X6 would have snapped long ago, being a light AM bike.

#10 ·
I did a pretty big 40 footer once

Not trying to call you out, I've never met a person hitting (more then once anyway) any gaps 20-40 feet wide that didn't know exactly what they wanted in their bikes. Or any that would be willing to trust their life in a bike they picked up for 900 dollars without really knowing anything about it.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you get, hopefully you enjoy it.

#16 ·
Who you buy the bike from is more important than what you buy. Anything owned by teen is going to be clapped out and you will constantly be replacing parts. Get something from an old dude that does a few shuttle days and maybe a trip to Whistler a year.

The Bighit is a good starting point

#17 ·
thomasmunka63@hotmail.com said:
I used to have one, cleared 30 footers no problem
Uhhh pics please... P.S. The Log jumps at the end of Boondocks isn't 30 feet.

OH WAIT. I forgot if you ride a Chumba F5, the 5 in the F5 multiplies whatever jump length you cleared by 5. The 5 also multiplies your post count in which you talk endlessly about Chumbas.

#18 ·
Try prostitution out... after a couple months you'll have more money to buy yourself a HUCK bike since that's apparently all you do.

Or you could look for a used Banshee or go for the big hit. I dunno, I'd feel pretty sketch on a new $900 bike on something like what you're planning on doing, and even though you get a bit more bang for your buck by going used you're still going to possibly run into a bike with a lot of problems at that price range.

#19 ·
Raptordude said:
Uhhh pics please... the 5 in the F5 multiplies whatever jump length you cleared by 5. The 5 also multiplies your post count in which you talk endlessly about Chumbas.
sike!

and here's a vid of me on a chumba (don't have any of me on the bighit on the jump)

and how many times have i mentioned chumba? and when do I endlessly talk about chumba? wtf's your problem man?

http://www.pinkbike.com/v/43021/l/

edit: here is a picture of me with a bighit on it

Attachments

#22 ·
i think he was getting a little optimistic with the gaps. and don't think that us, the younger riders, cant jump, look at my avatar, that's me jumping a 15 foot gap just before a 25 foot gap. im not sponsored nor been riding long (just over a year now). but we can jump and don't go discarding us because of our age.

besides have a look at this nutter:
http://www.pinkbike.com/v/26127/l/

EDIT: was supose to also say that the kid jumping in the video...is 12 :eek:

#25 ·
thomasmunka63@hotmail.com said:
sike!
and here's a vid of me on a chumba (don't have any of me on the bighit on the jump)
edit: here is a picture of me with a bighit on it
one foot kicker with a nice endless tranny......not being mean .....but I see kids do that on wallmart bikes

no flame intended...but I wouldn't use that video to brag about the merits of the chumba

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.