Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wheelset vs. Realset

789 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Duckiller 
#1 ·
Here's the contenders:

Azonic Outlaw 07' vs. Mavic EX729 26" Shimano XT M756 rear / Formula front

-mavic set is like 40 bucks cheaper. both are new

This will be going an 08 Giant Reign X that I will be DH and FR'ing on.
Want something light which leads me toward the Mavics but also am concerned about destroying the XT rear hub since it is an old school cup and cone loose ball hub.

One other option I should throw in is that I currently am running an MTX hoopset on a Hope front and Hadley 150x12 rear hub... I could also trade for a 10x135 36 hole hub and have it laced to the same MTX?

Thoughts?

#5 ·
LoozinSkin said:
I am going from a Sunday frame (150x12) and swapping parts over to a Reign X (135x10)
aahhh....ok makes sense now.

but ya, if you can get a hadley 135x10, do it. gong from hadleys to XT is like a step down. and theres no reason to get rid of the hope front.

Outlaws are only QR or 135x12 or 150x12 btw. other wise, they're another good choice.

#9 ·
I would guess that you are looking at the 729s at Jenson. Got em and have liked them so far. For the crazy cheap price get em and if you trash the hubs deal with it then, you will still be ahead. So far mine have been awesome. Just repack the rear when you get them an you are good to go. I have had great luck with the XT M756, I have that rear hub laced to a Singletrack hoop on another wheel set and it has been perfect.

#10 ·
Neither hub is going to be stellar. The Outlaw's have good rims (Alex Supra D) but the hubs are kind of pieces. Both those wheels are going to be kind of heavy. If you can, I would look into Mavic 721's instead of 729's.

But, out of your options, I'd say 729's.

#11 ·
Raptordude said:
Neither hub is going to be stellar. The Outlaw's have good rims (Alex Supra D) but the hubs are kind of pieces. Both those wheels are going to be kind of heavy. If you can, I would look into Mavic 721's instead of 729's.

But, out of your options, I'd say 729's.
Yup, will agree that the 729's are heavy. If I was worried about weight and price for a tough rim I would look for some Singletracks, the set on my AM bike have been FLAWLESS and I am a clyde 250lbs+. 3-4 foot drops and some lift access with no wobble at all. I have a Hope in front and a M756 in back with that wheel set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.