Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

front derailer on an f5, dhr, dare or any dh bike???

699 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Bulldog 
#1 · (Edited)
i know i already asked about a front derailer on a dh bike but what about these specific frames? (08-09 f5, 08 fhr, or any year of the dare) i want a full 8 inch bike but a front derailer is kind of a big deal. so...

what kind of derailer did you use?

how was the install?

what modifications, if any did you have to do?

how did it work?

anything else that is need to know?

if not these frames, than what dh frame will accommodate a front derailer?

thanks all

pv

#4 ·
Just from a quick look, your only *option* is the Ellsworth, but I'd be surprised if you could even pull it off with that. None of these bikes were intended to have 2 chainrings, why do you want a FD so bad anyway? I have one and still only use about 9 gears.

#7 ·
ak pura vida said:
i know i already asked about a front derailer on a dh bike but what about these specific frames? (08-09 f5, 08 fhr, or any year of the dare) i want a full 8 inch bike but a front derailer is kind of a big deal. so...

what kind of derailer did you use?

how was the install?

what modifications, if any did you have to do?

how did it work?

anything else that is need to know?

if not these frames, than what dh frame will accommodate a front derailer?

thanks all

pv
Cory,7.5"vs 8" it will be more about the quality of travel than the amount.Consider the overall package,travel,geometry,workmanship,etc.Tell us what you want to do with the bike and people will better beable to make suggestions.The Turner Highline with a 8.75"x2.75" shock will net 8.25" of travel.There are alot of choices,the reason DH bikes won't take a front der. is because there designed to be DH race bikes.This is why long travel freeride bikes exsist.Besides the Highline theres the VP Free,something from Devinci,Orange has something as well,Intense Uzzi.The list goes on that is why I say decide on the use,geometry,travel,weight etc.Good luck.Merry Christmas.

#9 ·
yeah, still need to check out the hamerschmidt. thanks for all the info and suggestions. i guess i should be more specific for what i want to do with my new bike. thought i had it all figured out but obviously not as i read more. so.... i really won't be doing much actual downhill racing as there really isn't any racing up here. the vast majority of my riding ends up as a hike-a-bike, which one way or another, ends up requiring some granny gear grinding. most of the riding is mountain trails and old mining/logging roads/trails. some designed single track but not a hole lot. some of it ends up being off trail down scree (rock) fields or just blazing down the tundra.

sounds like it need to look at some of the suggested bikes that are more free ride orientated. thanks for all the info and if anyone has more suggestions, let 'em flow.

pv

#10 ·
ak pura vida said:
sounds like it need to look at some of the suggested bikes that are more free ride orientated. thanks for all the info and if anyone has more suggestions, let 'em flow.

pv
Aya. I'm all for bucking trends but there are literally dozens and dozens of big FR bikes designed for your request.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.