Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mongoose my first DH/Freeride

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Djponee 
#1 ·
Hi My first FR/DH build any comments on my build will be appreciated, I'm a complete newbie, not ridden the rig yet, any mods you think would be better :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Saint cranks, Code brakes, Kenda tires, Boxxer U-turn (actually a really great fork. I loved riding one), E-13, DX pedals, Shimano XT, and a Vanilla. Can't go wrong with any of that stuff.

My only fear is that your front wheel is super strong, and the rear is a SpeedDisc. Be prepared to taco that wheel very quickly. Only took me a few months on my AM bike to taco that wheel. One 4-foot drop and BLAM. Bye-bye.

Nice bike, man. :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the input Prettym1k3,spot on with the parts, I have another Mavic 729 Rim to go on the rear, my LBS can't change it until the new year, front Hub is a Hope ProII and I will use the Mongoose rear hub with the 729 Rim , I went with a Funn direct mount 55mmx31.8mm stem and Easton Monkey bars, I'm hoping they will be wide enough for controlling the bike, what do you all recommend for bars? Another query I have a 185mm rear disk is this big enough the front is 203mm, the Codes feel really powerful, the rear shock is a DHX-3 just serviced and tuned by TFT with heavy duty mounts. the sag is around 35% does this seem about right, I've been reading on the forum for set up and ideas.

#5 ·
Yeah man, ride it as is. The wheel would be my only concern but it sounds like you are addressing it already. I like a 185mm rotor in the back, helps with modulation IMO. I'd only go to an 8" if you are overheating it and getting brake fade which is hard to do on even really steep trails. Maybe adjust the preload or spring to get closer to 30% sag if you can, thats about all I've got. Sweet rig, enjoy riding it!

#6 ·
Thanks guys the spring is a 450lb I have a 500lb I can put on, the front is pretty much 30% with the stock spring, I was hoping to stick with the 185 rotor , cause it feels pretty powerful riding round my yard, not the best test :D but you can get a feel how they bite.
The wheel will be sorted before I ride it in earnest. Can't wait to give it a go :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.