Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Frame size, stem length etc

648 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  climbingbubba 
#1 ·
I have just had a Banshee Wildcard delivered, I am away so no hands on till 9th January, size medium on reps recommendations. I am 6'1" and most frames I have ridden are generally 23.3"-23.7" top tube and I run a 65mm stem with 2" rise and 720mm bars.
The Wildcard comes in at 23.1" top tube and at first I was concerned I may feel cramped but I checked out the Demo 7 and Scythe specs, size large for similar sizing, so they run short on the top tube. So would I be correct to guess that DH and FR frames should be short? Or am I just buying into short frames cause I like to Jump? I would like to do more DH runs and if I get hooked then I will look into something more DH specific next year.

I am back in South Africa on holiday and looking at more trail orientated stuff a large Wildcard would be better and it got me into thinking about a Medium with a 70mm stem vs a large with a 50mm stem and handling. Wouldnt a large with a 50mm be more comfortable and handle better than a medium with a 70mm stem?

One more thing I would like to know before a buy a new bar. I feel really comfortable on wide bars, Deity, no surprises there as that is becomming common but I also like a high rise. Looking at DH rigs they run low to mid rise, why?

So to summarise I would like to know for FR/DH and a bit of trail would a large frame with a 24.and a bit inches top tube with a 50mm stem and wide mid rise bar will handle better and feel more comfortable compared to a medium with 23.1" top tube, 70mm stem and high rise bar.:thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Bar reach and height is so personal it's hard to give a recommendation because only you will know what feels best... for you.

In my opinion, it's easier to shorten up a "large" bike than try to stretch out a bike that is too short. 50mm and shorter stems are available by the dozens, yet longer stems (70mm+) are only made by a couple manufactuers (Easton, Race Face). Same for seatposts. Just try and find one with more than .5" setback...throw in 8mm rails and you're looking at maybe one or two seatposts.

That said, I'm 6'0", run 2.5" rise bars at about 28" wide and a 70mm stem on my 23.5" top tubed DH bike. I've run lower and shorter setups (50mm stem and 1" rise) on the same bike and I felt like a hunchback, and like I was being pushed off the back of the bike. I like a central, balanced feel front to rear, and a longer setup allows this. For me, this is better handling.

I think low rise bars will better suit shorter riders, but again, everyone has their own preference.

#3 ·
What sort of riding do you do? because that makes a massive difference!

I have ridden both a medium and a large wildcard, and I am 6'2".

I rode the large at whistler, and the longer top tube made it feel a bit mre like a DH style gometry, of long and low, was nice on the really fast rough stuff, and pretty damn good everywhere else. I had a 40mm stem on it.

I have also ridden a medium with a 50mm stem, and it felt amazing for jumps and tight trail riding. I think I would find it a bit short in the TT for long all day rides (large was comforatble for that) but the medium felt better to jump and ride tech lines. small frames are easier to manouver and throw around.

so in essence... if you want to do really fast, and rough DH style stuff, or long in the saddle trail rides, then the large may be slightly better for you.

if you want to trail ride agressively, and jump lots, plus ride tight tech lines, then the medium is better I would say.

Personally I think that a long stem kind of ruins the feel of this bike, the wildcard excels at being ridden really aggressively, and a short stem helps this.

hope that helps a bit?

#4 ·
mmmm
thats what i was tinking. i think now a large with a 50mm stem would of been better. I looked at the scythe but I dont really want the xtra weight and travel right now but the large scythe is almost the same in top tube as the medium wildcard so I figured I couldnt of been too far off the mark. For the near future the wildcard will be for tight fast lines without too much of the ruff stuff and as much jumping as I can build or find. I am really working on my freeride techniques so I know the wildcard is a great option. I havent really been interested in DH because I generally dont like riding through ruff sections but now I am getting interested in improving in that area and want a bike that will give me more confidence. The wildcard is a compromise for me and I think it will do nicely but I want to make sure i get the frame size right. I think I should of gone Large and compromised a little to gain on longer rides and improved DH feel. I will have to see if I can now get the frame back to the UK from Korea, if not no biggy. I have the 65mm stem and hise rise bar so I will try a mid rise first then look at a 50mm stem. If the 50mm is too short it will go onto the Hardtail which is my FR jump dedicated rig now. I know what it feels like to ride hunch back style so I will also look at a set back seat post, the step seat angle might help balance the set back post as I dont like to feel like I am riding behind my BB.

#5 ·
first off congrats on the wildcard, they look sweet.

I think the medium should be ok for what you described. i am 6'0 and might have chose the large but if your running a 65mm stem you should be ok. it might be sweet to just ride the wildcard as is and then save up for a large scythe. that way you have a fun jump/tech bike and then a plow bike.
i usually prefer about a 23tt but my intense SS is 23.5 and my new socom is 24. the 23.5 feels really good with a 50mm stem and i have long arms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.