Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So I was thinking of treating myself to new rims...

2K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  b4 stealth 
#1 ·
... with the money I'm going to get for Christmas. Currently I have 32 spoke, Sun SingleTrack SL-1s on my '06 Kona Coiler and I am hoping for something stronger. I am 215 pounds +/- and I like to do jumps and drops. I do xc on this bike but extra weight doesn't matter to me. I also do some FR and DH, so I want something that is strong. The harshest thing Im gonna do is maybe a 5 or 6 ft drop to flat concrete. I want something that im not gonna halve to true every couple weeks. I don't mind my hubs and I can't really afford a new wheelset. I can prob build the wheels myself. I am running a 2.5 tire front and back. Im willing to spend up to $100 per rim but I would like to spend less than that. So what rims would you recommend.

#11 ·
tacubaya said:
That's funny.... my 729 is perfect but the Dual Dutys I've had have cracked.
I cracked my 729 on the second ride (not the rims fault) and completly destroyed the dual dutys I have. I have a sun Equalizer that has been holding up pretty good but then again I have not cased anything in a while. I would have bought a 729 again but at 90 bucks a pop and only getting two rides I just couldn't do it.

#15 ·
729's are nice but i think are built too wide. I have wtb dual duty fr. on my old bike. Tough as anything out there for a rim i think. I'd go 823 my self. I also have the Wtb speed disk and those seem to be pretty tough so im sure that the laser disks would be great.

#19 ·
I've looked at all the rims you've suggested and I think im gonna go with the 729s. First of all, can I use the same spokes? In one issue of Decline, there is a thing that says how to change just the rims without rebuilding and only replace spokes that are broken. Should I do that, or should I just rebuild the wheel completely? If I do completely rebuild the wheel with new spokes, how do I know what length of spoke of spoke to get or can I base it on the length of the spokes I have now? I have a KK Disc hub up front and a Shimano FH-M475 disc hub in the back. If I only change the rim, will the lengths of the spokes I have now work the Mavic 729 rims? I'm kinda confused about this step, so any help would be terrific. oh and the only thing I know about my spokes is that they are stainless 14g.

#21 ·
alex55 said:
I've looked at all the rims you've suggested and I think im gonna go with the 729s. First of all, can I use the same spokes? In one issue of Decline, there is a thing that says how to change just the rims without rebuilding and only replace spokes that are broken. Should I do that, or should I just rebuild the wheel completely? If I do completely rebuild the wheel with new spokes, how do I know what length of spoke of spoke to get or can I base it on the length of the spokes I have now? I have a KK Disc hub up front and a Shimano FH-M475 disc hub in the back. If I only change the rim, will the lengths of the spokes I have now work the Mavic 729 rims? I'm kinda confused about this step, so any help would be terrific. oh and the only thing I know about my spokes is that they are stainless 14g.
Rebuild the wheel with new spokes. Spokes are cheap.

There are a few online spoke calculators out there, DT Swiss has one on their website for starters. Personally, I'd just pay the money and have a reputable wheelbuilder build the wheels. No sense in spending $60 per rim only to toss it away on a sub par build. No offense meant, but if you have to ask about spoke length, then you probably should have someone else do the wheels for you.

#23 ·
Random Drivel said:
Rebuild the wheel with new spokes. Spokes are cheap.

There are a few online spoke calculators out there, DT Swiss has one on their website for starters. Personally, I'd just pay the money and have a reputable wheelbuilder build the wheels. No sense in spending $60 per rim only to toss it away on a sub par build. No offense meant, but if you have to ask about spoke length, then you probably should have someone else do the wheels for you.
You're probably right. I just need to find someone around here who builds wheels. What price should expect to pay to get them built?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.