Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SC Nomad VS. DB Mission

842 views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Prettym1k3 
#1 ·
I know I'll probly get ripped for comparing a DiamondBack to a Santa Cruz, but I just could'nt help it. The Nomad seems to be the standard in all in one mountain bikes, from xc to freeride to light downhill. I know the Mission is of a no name decent but it seems like a great all in one bike as well with geometry on par with that of the Nomad. Depending on what level of mission you look at they are spec'd pretty well also. I posted this in the DH/FR forum because it seems that you guys no better than anyone exactly what a bike can do and what it can't do.

#2 ·
skep_tic1 said:
I know I'll probly get ripped for comparing a DiamondBack to a Santa Cruz, but I just could'nt help it. The Nomad seems to be the standard in all in one mountain bikes, from xc to freeride to light downhill. I know the Mission is of a no name decent but it seems like a great all in one bike as well with geometry on par with that of the Nomad. Depending on what level of mission you look at they are spec'd pretty well also. I posted this in the DH/FR forum because it seems that you guys no better than anyone exactly what a bike can do and what it can't do.
I would suggest PMing ebxtreme or searching his threads- he did a good comprehensive writeup on one.

#4 ·
skep_tic1 said:
Thanks, i read his write up. I more specifically would like feedback on the question I asked. "How does the DB Mission compare to the SC Nomad"?
Good luck with that, like you said, they aren't exactly in the same class, so you are going to have a hard time finding a lot of people to give you direct compare and contrast writeups.

More specifically I would suggest getting your hands on both for a demo. Then you can do a write up.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
skep_tic1 said:
I know I'll probly get ripped for comparing a DiamondBack to a Santa Cruz, but I just could'nt help it. The Nomad seems to be the standard in all in one mountain bikes, from xc to freeride to light downhill.
Great bike for sure. The standard? Only if you believe the marketing hype. But it is a great bike, don't get me wrong.

I have a pal with a Mission that he picked up from WTB at last year's dirt demo. He runs a 55 on it, and is very very pleased with how it handles. The bike is super capable, and seems to be able to tackle anything when ridden competently. A few of the guys that work at WTB also ride them.

#6 ·
skep_tic1 said:
To be fair, Diamond back , in the day, made pretty good bikes. Their wally world bikes are not the same as their "high end" bikes. The mission 3 and the scapegoat look pretty sweet. They are "just" linkage actuated single pivots though...

#8 ·
skep_tic1 said:
Mr. Zero, can you explain why you think these bike are not in the same class
Because some people like to buy good quality bikes that are WAY over priced. And by WAY over priced, I mean WAYYYYY overpriced.

Good bikes none-the-less, but Diamond Back, Mongoose, GT... they all seem to be making as serious comeback for the 2009/2010 seasons.

#9 ·
All the Missions I have seen online seem to be spec'd w/ 5 - 5.5" forks and are built up in trail - AM form. Nomads range from XC - light DH. Going to boil down to how much bike you need. Off the top of my head i'd say the Nomad could be built up for more aggressive use.

#11 · (Edited)
skep_tic1 said:
Mr. Zero, can you explain why you think these bike are not in the same class
The Nomad is designed to be a very versatile bike - like others have said, it can be run from DH to AM to XC.

Although the DB Mission has similar geometry and can be built with the same kit, DB has specifically stated that it is not made for park use, including drops and jumps. I don't have the link handy, but you can find someone who did the write-up with full on pics of it hitting drops (outside the mfg recommendation, right)?

Overall, I think the DB Mission looks like a great bike. If my frame ate shite and I had to xfer all of the parts over to a new frameset, I would surely look at it, as it suits my needs for an AM bike. I have been interested in the performance of the knooklebox since it came out.

#12 ·
What this boils down to is: People who own neither, have probably never ridden either of them, have not even read reviews of one of them, all 100% confidant that one is better then the other.

I suggest you take all of the advice in this thread with a grain of salt. You don't need to spend 2500 on a frame to get a good bike.

#13 ·
William42 said:
What this boils down to is: People who own neither, have probably never ridden either of them, have not even read reviews of one of them, all 100% confidant that one is better then the other.

I suggest you take all of the advice in this thread with a grain of salt. You don't need to spend 2500 on a frame to get a good bike.
You must have missed his question. He wants a comparison. This offers nothing on either.

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen any ACTUAL advice in this thread other than - "get your hands on a demo."

#15 ·
CharacterZero said:
You must have missed his question. He wants a comparison. This offers nothing on either.

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen any ACTUAL advice in this thread other than - "get your hands on a demo."
What? I'm a bit confounded by what you just said....You claimed I missed the question, and then repeated exactly what I just said....

huh.

#19 ·
This is the review I was referring to as well.

DB Trevor said:
Rufus,

Thanks for writing and for the love and sorry for the lengthy delay in my getting back to you. It's been pretty hectic (exciting) around here as we make final preparations for Interbike.

You raise a very good question and unfortunately one that is very risky for me to answer. If you asked me the same question on the hill or in a dark alley, my answer would probably be a little different, but I need to be very careful with what I say from this desk. So - here's the official answer; the Mission was not designed for slope style. It's an all-mountain trail bike that happens to be incredibly versatile, but it wasn't meant to be used for slope style riding.

That said - I will tell you that the Mission has been used for that kind of riding during its development and with much fun and success and it was even ridden at Bike's Monster Park event last month at Snowshoe, WV. That's all I'm going to say about that because the Mission was not designed for slope style riding.

As far as the Sabbath goes; that is a new bike that is a product of our Diamondback brothers across the water in the UK. You can read more about it on their website here or write to DB UK Product Manager Mike Sanderson at MikeSanderson@raleigh.co.uk. You'll want to ask about distribution of that bike if you are interested in one because it is not a model that we (Raleigh America) will be distributing in the States.

Thanks for your patience and sorry again for the delay, Trevor
So that is the difference.

That being said, if you aren't exceeding the designed limits of the Mission constantly, why not get one? With a move to support clients like Trevor has done on the DB board, a new product lineup that is well spec'd and progressive, and relatively well priced, I agree with MKiii - they have stepped up.

EDIT: If you want the drop-ability, get the scapeGOAT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.