Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

WTF is my head deformed?

3K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  cal63look 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, Im having issues with Full face helmets and fitting my dome piece, I really need some help here. My head is about 22.5-23 (depending of lenght of my hair). I dont have a miss shaped head or well at least I thought I didnt untill trying on FF helmets. I had ordered a size medium Giro remedy, first off I must say that thing looked like a bucket and was very very wide, I didnt like the look, but Im not even after that. The Helmet really put pressure on like the back left side of my skull. So i sent that back and said hey F!@# it Ill try a cheapo bell bellistic. Went thru a different company and the helmet came today, tried it on and sure enough it dont fit me right either. It puts mad pressure right above my temples, and even with the chin strap tightened I can litterally pull or push the helmet towards the front or back of my head, which if i took a digger and it caught the helmet right it would pull it and totally expose my chin. Not sure whats going on here but hopefully you guys can help a brotha out.

Sad to say there are like no shops here in my ghetto town in CO that have any full face helmets, expect one place that has specialized deviants, havent tried those yet. So unless someone knows of a place anywhere is CO that has a good selection of FF I will have to keep trying my luck with mail order, but having to ship this sh!t back is starting to add up.

Anybody care to shed some light on this for me? :madman:

See less See more
#4 ·
Hah! Yeah, your head sounds like its shaped all kinds of funky. I have a med Deviant and I've tried on Remedy's before and they fit fine. The thing with the Deviant is that it does still move around a little on your face, no helmet is gonna fit so snug it doesn't move and still be comfortable. I firmly believe that a full face is intended to protect the sides and back of your head more than the front. You go face first in a digger and it doesn't matter what your wearying, your grill is still gonna get whomped. I'd say try the deviant on but you might just need to start hacking away at the pads if you can't find a helmet that fits comfortable.

#5 · (Edited)
NEVER LEAVES A GAP
UNFILLED
ALWAYS PAYS ON TIME
ALWAYS FITS THE BILL
HE COMES WELL PREPARED
CUBE TOP
SQUARED OFF
EIGHT CORNERS
90-DEGREE ANGLES
FLAT TOP
STARES STRAIGHT AHEAD
STOCK PARTS
BLOCKHEAD
NEVER TIPS OVER
STANDS UP ON HIS OWN
HE IS A BLOCKHEAD
THINKING MAN FULL GROWN
HE COMES WELL PREPARED
SNAKE EYES

#6 ·
You could check at a motorcycle shop. They have a much bigger selection of FF helmets than most bike shops so you can try some on until you find one that fits right. The downside is that all helmets they carry will be DOT approved and thus heavier and less ventilated than an MTB helmet.

#7 ·
adding some foam cant hurt? call some companies and explain your problem. be like "I ordered a (blank) helmet size () and it didnt fit right.....
I really want to use a (blank) because I hear they are the best FF helmets on the market......" and so on they will tell you what to do and or hook you up

#10 ·
i have both helmets and they do fit diferentlly..

the giro remedy si more wide and the bellistic is more narrow and really tight to fit..

i suggest jump on fox helmet or the specialized deviant they seem to fit just right.. im pretty sure theres more helmets out there that are good, but after trying these 2 helmets they seem to fit me the best. and i also like to add that they dont fit huge like the remedy and they dont fit narrow and like the bellistic.

#14 ·
Newbie Wan Kenobi said:
i have both helmets and they do fit diferentlly..

the giro remedy si more wide and the bellistic is more narrow and really tight to fit..

i suggest jump on fox helmet or the specialized deviant they seem to fit just right.. im pretty sure theres more helmets out there that are good, but after trying these 2 helmets they seem to fit me the best. and i also like to add that they dont fit huge like the remedy and they dont fit narrow and like the bellistic.
Giro remedy's are listed as a size smaller then other helmets...so if you wear a large you get a medium

NEVER BUY THE SPECIALIZED DEVIANT.....THAT HELMET IS A GLORIFIED XC HELMET AND SHOULDN'T BE USED FOR DH OR FR.....THE PEOPLE THAT USE THEM DON'T HAVE ANY BRAINS TO PROTECT SO THEY WHERE THEM. I WOULD NEVER WEAR THEM

#16 ·
Thanks fellas! LMAO at shiver me timers with the block head song. I def dont have a block head at all (I can picture this dude I used to go to school with that that song would fit perfectly though), but that song def fit.

Im bout 2hrs South of Denver (pueblo). Ill have to take a cruise up there and check them out, I take it Mojo wheels is a bicycle store?

#19 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
NEVER LEAVES A GAP
UNFILLED
ALWAYS PAYS ON TIME
ALWAYS FITS THE BILL
HE COMES WELL PREPARED
CUBE TOP
SQUARED OFF
EIGHT CORNERS
90-DEGREE ANGLES
FLAT TOP
STARES STRAIGHT AHEAD
STOCK PARTS
BLOCKHEAD
NEVER TIPS OVER
STANDS UP ON HIS OWN
HE IS A BLOCKHEAD
THINKING MAN FULL GROWN
HE COMES WELL PREPARED
SNAKE EYES

So........so.............so....................

HORRIBLE!

Jeasus Ckhrist that is a bad song :shocked:

#20 ·
Khemical said:
So........so.............so....................HORRIBLE!
that is a bad song :shocked:
for the time it was very different....mostly it was LedZepplin, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent and this music wasn't even thought of.

this lead to new wave and alternative music.....The band has it's place in history and still put on amazing shows

#21 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Giro remedy's are listed as a size smaller then other helmets...so if you wear a large you get a medium

NEVER BUY THE SPECIALIZED DEVIANT.....THAT HELMET IS A GLORIFIED XC HELMET AND SHOULDN'T BE USED FOR DH OR FR.....THE PEOPLE THAT USE THEM DON'T HAVE ANY BRAINS TO PROTECT SO THEY WHERE THEM. I WOULD NEVER WEAR THEM
i think your right on the remedy sizing bob, i have a large and that thing fit humomgous dinosaurus t rex ! and i tried my friends medium remedy and it did fit perfectly..

nah i wouldnt buy the deviant i just like the way it fit, i tried at cycleworld when i was there hahaha.. hey i hope your feeling alot better man !

#23 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:

Again with this crap..........Your just stirring crap since you can't ride.

#24 ·
I seem to have a strange shaped head too and rode with the Remedy for a season....Until I crashed in it. I ended up with a Med and it was a little snug at first, but it "broke in" after a little use and felt pretty good.

I replaced the Remedy witha THE one carbon and like the fit of this helmet as well. In comparison I kind of like the feel of the Giro a little better, but I may just be used to that feel.

One thing I did find is that Moto helmets fit me much better than Mtb helmets. Im not really sure why, but a good quality moto helmet feels like heaven compared to a junk mtb helmet. BUt, there is an associated price difference.

#25 ·
clockwork said:
Again with this crap..........Your just stirring crap since you can't ride.
seriously....the deviant is a piece of crap.....I wouldn't trust that thing for anything....If you ride fast, do steeps, jump, then no way would I feel safe......if you are doing XC, sissy trails then wear that helmet

Bottom line...if you care about your head then don't buy this helmet

#26 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
seriously....the deviant is a piece of crap.....I wouldn't trust that thing for anything....If you ride fast, do steeps, jump, then no way would I feel safe......if you are doing XC, sissy trails then wear that helmet

Bottom line...if you care about your head then don't buy this helmet
Wrong...

If you are hucking Bender drops or charging like Peaty than don't wear it. Otherwise it's fine for riding fast, doing steeps, jumps, etc.

Prove to me how a Deviant isn't going to protect somebody's head in anything worse than XC...? Prove it dude. Your full of it SMT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.