Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Possible dumbest user manual ever, WTF Trek ?

4K views 55 replies 34 participants last post by  4JawChuck 
#1 ·
Am I completely retarded or is Trek marketing people arent doing a good job with their online resources?

I just got a Session 88 and Im trying to remove the rear axle.Now you would think that with all of the money and advertising they've put into their new ABP system they would have an dedicated user manual showing how to service it.

Im sure their is one somewhere but seriously , am I the only one who thinks this should be in BOLD CAPITAL, BLINKING , HIGHLIGHTED letters?

Can someone please help me find it?

http://www.bike-manual.com/brands/trek/om/freeride/index.html

#3 ·
wow awesome comment thanks for the help...Brilliant, putting the hammer on 6500$ bike that's really smart !

I can usually figure these thing out quite easily but just cant get the axle out of the frame.Ive loosen the 2 nuts on each side but I can only get the axle a 1/3 out of the frame

#4 ·
tuumbaq said:
Am I completely retarded or is Trek marketing people arent doing a good job with their online resources?

I just got a Session 88 and Im trying to remove the rear axle.Now you would think that with all of the money and advertising they've put into their new ABP system they would have an dedicated user manual showing how to service it.

Im sure their is one somewhere but seriously , am I the only one who thinks this should be in BOLD CAPITAL, BLINKING , HIGHLIGHTED letters?

Can someone please help me find it?

http://www.bike-manual.com/brands/trek/om/freeride/index.html
http://trekmountain.typepad.com/king/2007/08/abp-explained.html sounds like you open the QR, unscrew it some, and remove the wheel.

#5 ·
tuumbaq said:
wow awesome comment thanks for the help...Brilliant, putting the hammer on 6500$ bike that's really smart !

I can usually figure these thing out quite easily but just cant get the axle out of the frame.Ive loosen the 2 nuts on each side but I can only get the axle a 1/3 out of the frame
Well you're the extra smart person who bought a bike without knowing ANYTHING about it. I only know this because you're super intelligent and apparently you can't figure out one of the simplest things... removing a wheel. Guess that's what you get for buying a Trek.

#6 ·
DanD said:
http://trekmountain.typepad.com/king/2007/08/abp-explained.html sounds like you open the QR, unscrew it some, and remove the wheel.
Im talking about the rear wheel,Its not a QR, its a solid thru axle ( like I said I bought a Session 88)

His dudeness, do us all a favor, stop polluting this forum.Ive been a bike mechanic for a many years,Im sure I could figure it out but thruth be told, Im not in a rush to get the wheel out, Id rather not screw anything up and get it done properly

Beside, I've only tried briefly to get it out this morning before getting into work but didnt mess around too much thinking I would easily find the answer on the internet

Im trying to make a point about Trek's poor online resources.Im not saying the whole thing is all that bad but I seriously believe the info I need should be WAY easier to find.

#7 ·
his dudeness said:
Meh, screw user manuals. Go the old fashioned route and solve your problems with a hammer.
yep, if you can't figure it out yourself then use a hammer on a $6500.00 bike....who cares how much bike cost.....you got to get axle off....better use a sledge hammer

#8 ·
only use one side and unwind with allen from brake side....

something might be catching in hub so lightl tap out with hammer

and really it is sad you can't figure it out.....you should just take it to the bike shop because you have no general since of mechanical knowledge if you can't figure that out.

#9 ·
tuumbaq said:
Im talking about the rear wheel,Its not a QR, its a solid thru axle ( like I said I bought a Session 88)

His dudeness, do us all a favor, stop polluting this forum.Ive been a bike mechanic for a many years,Im sure I could figure it out but thruth be told, Im not in a rush to get the wheel out, Id rather not screw anything up and get it done properly

Beside, I've only tried briefly to get it out this morning before getting into work but didnt mess around too much thinking I would easily find the answer on the internet

Im trying to make a point about Trek's poor online resources.Im not saying the whole thing is all that bad but I seriously believe the info I need should be WAY easier to find.
Sorry, I don't have a session 88, but don't see any reason it could not employ a quick release type system. Is there any sort of nut or bolt head, if so I would loosen that and remove the wheel. As long as you use some sense you can tinker with any part of any bike and never cause damage.

#13 ·
wow I sense a lot of anger/ jealousy on here, come on guys, like it said Ive only spent a few minutes on it this morning, most likely its just stuck and need a little bit of grease elbow.

My point was to indicate the lack of resources on their website but thanks for the help,Im off to Ridemonkey where people are trying to help each other like it should be on an internet forum.

#14 ·
tuumbaq said:
wow I sense a lot of anger/ jealousy on here, come on guys, like it said Ive only spent a few minutes on it this morning, most likely its just stuck and need a little bit of grease elbow.

My point was to indicate the lack of resources on their website but thanks for the help,Im off to Ridemonkey where people are trying to help each other like it should be on an internet forum.
You might also try the Trek forum. I wish I had your problem :D

#17 ·
tuumbaq said:

If you've been a bike mechanic for many a years then you probably should have picked up on something that bike shop mechanics use on a daily basis, it's called sarcasm. I'll do you a favor and stop polluting the forums... Just as soon as you do us all a favor and either read your owners manual (that comes with the bike by the way) or buy yourself a book on basic bicycle mechanics (heck, go to UBI too). Come on man, if you're as experienced as you claim to be then you really shouldn't have any problem with looking at the rear dropouts (or in the case of your Trek a lack thereof) and examining how the thru axle threads into the rear triangle. Welcome to life, no one's going to hold your hand anymore and on these forums you need to get a thick skin. Insults on here are just people jibbing each other for fun... Nothing more. Honestly dude, don't take it personally.

Hint, find the side that the allen wrench goes into (typically it's a 8mm on the non-drive side) slide it in and rotate conter-clockwise (rightie tightie, lefty loosey). When the bolt is unthreaded it might have a bit of resistence so take that allen wrench and slide it into the hole you just made on the drive side and yes, tap it out with a hammer.

Geez:rolleyes: It's a good thing that I too have been a mechanic for many years and that I don't ever have to take my bikes to people like you to work on them.

#18 ·
Removing your wheel should be very similar to most other DH bikes. The thru axle is threaded, just find and allen (10mm I believe) and unscrew it. If you don't have a allen I believe the production axles have both a flat spot and a hole through them, so an ajustable wrench or screwdriver can be used. No need to loosen the two large aluminum ABP nuts, these are what hold the pivot assembly together.

#20 ·
Jeebus, what starts as a joke turns into a b!tch fest. I've seen half of the people here talking smack to plenty of others so seriously don't criticize. It's not my fault that this guy has been a bike mechanic for years yet can't figure out one of the simplest things on a bike. Changing a tire is harder than removing a wheel.

#21 ·
Got it out, first thing I did when I got home.Havent had my coffee yet when I looked at it this morning and it looked like the axle was threaded inside of, well I dont know how to explain this, I had never seen anything like it before.

Anyhow it was stuck....but really stuck like to the point were I was banging on the axle with the hammer and I felt like I was doing something terrible...

I still think Trek should address this, maybe its too early I'll give them that but one would think marketing should always be a little bit ahead of the game and I dont think they are right now.

As for the rest of you who tried to made me look like an idiot I only have one thing to say, after swapping the wheels( along with a few other minor upgrades) I weighted the bike on a digi scale and it sits at 34.5 lbs:D

#24 ·
006_007 said:
Another reason I dont let the kids at the bike shops work on my bikes..........
Oh come on man...this guy gives us a bad name...we're not all that bad! Plus...if there are bad employees/mechanics at a shop, it's likely that the shop itself is ****, not just the teenager wrenching on bikes (who knows, maybe he knows most...but he's not in charge, so it doesn't show). The good thing about most good LBSs is that they can't afford to have shitty employees, unlike larger companies. The bad thing is that most shops with a single bad employee probably suck.

#25 ·
his dudeness said:
Jeebus, what starts as a joke turns into a b!tch fest. I've seen half of the people here talking smack to plenty of others so seriously don't criticize. It's not my fault that this guy has been a bike mechanic for years yet can't figure out one of the simplest things on a bike. Changing a tire is harder than removing a wheel.
so you're criticizing the guy for criticizing you for criticizing the op :madman: :madman: :madman:

#26 ·
tuumbaq said:
Am I completely retarded...
Yes.

15 seconds on google and we get...

No need to carry a big wrench. The 150 mm thru axle rear end comes apart with an 8mm Allen wrench or anything you can slide into the holes in the fitting. ABP doesn't add any hassle factor at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.