Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

read the site

820 views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  nouseforaname 
#1 · (Edited)
One crash per helmet - read the Bicycle Helmets Safety Institute's thoughts on a crash replacement policy for helmets: "When you crash and crush or crack the foam:
There is no repair for crashed helmets! You must replace any helmet that has been crashed. Destroy the old one so nobody else will use it and trash the pieces. You got your money's worth. There are a few helmets on the market that are multi-impact (mostly skate-style helmets) and do not need to be replaced, but unless they have an ASTM F1492 skateboard standard sticker inside you can't be sure. If you don't find that sticker, replace the helmet."

That's a nasty one there - my opinion is YES!

Another way of looking at this......if that gouge had been your head if you had not been wearing a helmet, you would not have been able to write this post. The point is, once it is cracked, the next impact will be your head! Don't do it - get a new helmet.

#3 ·
Like Steve said, replace it. Take a close look at the foam in the helmet. I bet you will see some small cracks in it. I had a pretty nasty fall this summer at Diablo and poked a smallish hole through the shell in my helmet. I called the manufacturer and they said that it was a gonner. a 100-200 dollar investment in SAFE equipment could be priceless.

#6 ·
AndyBroke said:
I had a pretty nasty fall a couple of months ago, and i just wondered if I shoul buy a new helmet. There is a little crack in the outer shell.
Look at the foam around the impact area. If crack yes .if the inner shell is loose yes .

BTW the regular deviant weighs just a tad more than the carbon version and is 1/3rd the cost.

#9 ·
I'm not sure, but I think most helmet manufactures have a "crash replacement policy" where you send your old helmet to them and they sell you a brand new helmet at a reduced price (not free, but better than retail).

I know 661 had this, as there was a notice in the box when I purchased mine.

#11 ·
AndyBroke said:
I had a pretty nasty fall a couple of months ago, and i just wondered if I shoul buy a new helmet. There is a little crack in the outer shell.
consider yourself luck....very lucky.....those deviant helmets are just a slight upgrade of a XC helmet. They should in no way be used for DH......repeat

DO NOT USE SPECIALIZED DEVIANT HELMETS FOR DH

depends on the speed you ride and how big you go. If you are sending it or riding very fast then I would recommend this helmet

Azonic/O'Neil 708 tons of padding, fair ventilation....you just feel secure in it and weight penalty is very very small

#12 ·
Cmon, Deviants have way better protection than a XC helmet. It is a full face.

Friend wiped out @ northstar and it saved his noggin and face.

XC helmet would not do that.

Specialized does have a crash replacement policy for discount.

Ok not like a heavy duty helmet (read heavy) like the bell or oneal.

I would go for the TLD or 661 carbon, if you got the $$.

and yes chainlove for the deal!

#13 ·
This year I have mostly ridden trails and hit a couple of jumps/ drops. Nothing really big, but big enough to dislocate my shoulder. The nastiest falls was at pretty high speed though. Next year I will be doing some dh racing, and will probably need a rougher helmet than the deviant. That azonic looks great. Thanks for the tip SHIVER ME TIMBERS :) (Wtf, why did this post end up in the middle of the thread?)

#16 ·
I replace my helmet after every significant crash regardless of the foams condition inside.
I recently had a crash that left with with a sprained/strained cervical spine, severe concussion and a kinked spine. My doctor said I was lucky to have survived, despite the helmet looking perfect on the outside and inside. We stuck the helmet under a strong light and were able to find tiny hairline fractures in the shell. I'm on my 3rd helmet in 16months.
I'm still going in for CT scans to figure out why I'm still having head issues. Save your self and replace with a quality helmet.

-Kevin

#17 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
consider yourself luck....very lucky.....those deviant helmets are just a slight upgrade of a XC helmet. They should in no way be used for DH......repeat

depends on the speed you ride and how big you go. If you are sending it or riding very fast then I would recommend this helmet

Azonic/O'Neil 708 tons of padding, fair ventilation....you just feel secure in it and weight penalty is very very small
just curious, what head injuries have you seen from people wearing Specialized helmets.

cheers.

#19 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Uh?

I used my Deviant for DH, and a few DH Races. I now ride with a 661 Flight DOT/SNELL approved helmet, but dude, you can't just make a blatant claim like that with nothing to back it up with. I will agree that they are not as protective as other helmets, and I wouldn't wear mine for crazy stuff, but they're really not as eggshell fragile as you think they are.

#20 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
helmet rubbish
Dude - Deviants are tested to Snell B95 - link here. Most all other fullies are tested to only B90 (equivalent of CPSC) - this includes Troy Lee, Giro etc etc.

B95 has higher drop tests, and requires testing over a larger area of the helmet.

If you are concerned, buy a DOT tested helmet, this is the way forward for DH racers and crash bunnies, but to suggest that the Deviant is "just a slight upgrade of a XC helmet" is bunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.