Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dh cranks

2K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  milkmanmarce 
#1 ·
I need new cranks for my bighit because i am going to start raceing dh in the spring. I am planning to run a ethirteen lg1 and i need sugestions for cranks that are comatible. I like the race face atlus(based on the sweet topo graphics) but would they work as a single ring set up.

#2 ·
Shimano Saint (strength) or XT (light weight), Gravity Lights (some people say they're flexy), Raceface Atlus would be fine...some people say they're heavy though, Diety Vendettas, Truvative Holzfeller, Middleburn R7's...

..thats all i can think of off top of my head

most people here will suggest Saint i think. rightfully so.

#6 ·
win brooks said:
which saints their website has like 4
They're all basically the same, some just come with more rings that others. Just make sure you get the right BB width.

I only know 1 guy who's bent a pair of Saints. He's about 200 lbs and cased a pretty big jump, 20 feet out, 6 feet down. They're still ridable, just a little bent:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Hey guys,
The Atlas AM cranks are a bit narrow for chainguide use...sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If you want to run the LG1, go for the FR version or somthing like the Shimano XT, Saints, or one of the lighter Gravity offerings.

I have also personally have had really good luck with some 06-ish Truvativ Holzfellers, and the chainline on my LG1 is spot on.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

#11 ·
if you dont mind the extra weight/money, go for RaceFace Diabolus. Theyre the strongest cranks on the market, but you pay for that in money and weight (heavier than most steel cranks). if you want something a bit lighter and cheaper, go for '09 Shimano Saint. theyre very strong, relatively light, and not too expensive. the only cranks ive ever ridden and managed not to bend are Diabolus'. true, i weigh about 240lbs, im 6 foot 3, and go huge on everything i can, (completely destroyed Truvative Holzfeller on a 30 foot drop off :S) but still, if you want ultimate peace of mind in a crankset, get the Diabolus.

#12 ·
Race Face is more FR oriented, if you want DH cranks for racing get Saints. Besides, like I said, the only guy I know to bend a set cased this. And he still rides them. This isn't him jumping it, this is a different friend in the picture.

Attachments

#14 ·
+1 for saints. happy with both of my previous generation ones, and the prospect of losing a quarter pound off of them and being stiffer (hard to think it's possible) for 2009 is awesome.

buy them, ride them, abuse them, and watch them laugh and ask for more. there're good prices to be had on them too if you look around.

#17 ·
Middleburn RS7s are bomb proof as well, Im 230 before breakfast and coffee. Ill get a pic when this snow is gone in a week or so of overshooting the step up. Its 18' lip to lip and Im 4-5' above the landing and overshooting it by approx. 14' past tranny to flat. So by the time its done its approx 8-9' up and almost 35' out.
Ive been hucking them for almost 2 years now with a fsa ISIS BB and aside of the bearings starting to go its pretty solid.

My point is not a brag session but the fact that I can slaughter these cranks and they arent the burliest out there, Saints are a great choice as are Race face, diety and Hooka DH. When you put the list together and look at it, it becomes more personal preference anymore and weight. Your list is good and there are a number of others listed that are great. Im not going to tell you middleburns are the pot o gold but they work for me and so would have hooka DHs and Saints I just liked the weight and looks of these.

You really cant go wrong now a days with all the stuff being manufactured stronger and lighter, technology is up and coming quickly.

Keep us posted as to what cranks you end up with! :thumbsup:

Heres a pic of my XL @$$, Im on the right! 6'4" 230lbs going into shower 245+ geared and clothed.

#21 ·
bullcrew said:
lthnu thats a nice step down! Looks smooth! Wheres that at?
Nice pic!!! Love action shots.
That's at Sol Vista. There are bunch of jumps/step downs/ gaps there. Several larger and several smaller than the one in the picture. Those boys know how to build smooth features.

And credit for the shot goes to Snowskilz with Thump in the picture.

#23 ·
Gemini2k05 said:
You are an idiot. Saint's are FARRRRR from light. Saint's are not at all "race cranks" in any sense of the word.
Wow, what was I thinking racing with them for the last several years. Thanks for the input buck wonder:thumbsup:

#25 · (Edited)
Gemini2k05 said:
You are an idiot. Saint's are FARRRRR from light. Saint's are not at all "race cranks" in any sense of the word.
I was curious in case I made an error. Nope, I didn't.

*Edit, I posted the single ring Saint vs. the double ring Diabolus. To be fair, the double ring Saint is 31 grams heavier:D Still lighter.

Attachments

#26 ·
my diabolus have been great, I will probably never need another set of cranks on my bighit. I am not so worried about weight as others. I was riding in the wet this fall and did a major drift (Sam Hill style) and the left crank slammed into a rock quite hard by the spindle. Quite a few rides later I havent noticed any creaking or anything, strong stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.