Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

how close is too close?

1K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Freerydejunky 
#1 ·
I think it would be bad for slack head angles. Not enough weight over the front on a 64° or less HA, IMO.

#2 ·
ok so straitline has that new supershort boxxerstem. its 28mm. besides all the instal requirements do you think its a better idea.

i mean if you want to get it really really close why not just have the stem built directly into the top crown? it would be lower and shorter potentially.

from what they say then you could get a larger frame/longer wheelbase with same cockpit size. what do you think?

i think it looks super hott.

#7 ·
I am rocking these new Stems and they feel great!!! I have a Jedi witha team boxxer and it feels great when doing drops and jumps and realy steep stuff. It naturally puts you in a the correct position for all that stuff! Plus I tend to go nose heavy (resulted in broken neck) on everything and now it seems to have fix that problem for me. I always feel like I'm on top of my axle so it makes me sit back a bit and raise my head up and back for jumps!

#8 ·
doodooboi said:
I am rocking these new Stems and they feel great!!! I have a Jedi witha team boxxer and it feels great when doing drops and jumps and realy steep stuff. It naturally puts you in a the correct position for all that stuff! Plus I tend to go nose heavy (resulted in broken neck) on everything and now it seems to have fix that problem for me. I always feel like I'm on top of my axle so it makes me sit back a bit and raise my head up and back for jumps!
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:

#9 ·
Too close is when they start measuring stems that say, "0 degree rise, and -30mm length".

In other words, the handlebars on over the top tube of your bike, instead of over your fork.

Then again, I suppose you could just turn your direct mount stem around backward.

#10 ·
mtnbiker0755 said:
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:
That's why I said that once I put that stem on I felt more centered on the bike and it fixed my going nose heavy problem. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#17 ·
I'm loving the empirical evidence everyone is providing. Tell you the truth... it is all personal preference. Run it how you like. Personally at 5.10 I have a love for super short stems. The shorter the better.

I also run a shorter than par bar that the market offers, at a very low rise. I like my bikes low and tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.