Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Seattle - good for riding?

1K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  MTP360 
#1 ·
Alright guys, might be moving over ot Seattle with work, Ive spent a couple of days round town, but never explored into the hills - is there a good riding scene around the area?

What is the riding like? cheers

#5 ·
Theres good riding here but the good season is short. June- sept is good but the rest of the year you'll be riding in the rain %50 of the time. Count on driving :40+ to ride anywhere besides colonnade.

A 6" bike is the way to go for the local riding, cause you're gonna climb for the goods. There are maybe two "secret" FR/DH trails you can shuttle, and only during the summer. We are close (4-6hrs) to the shore & whistler though!

The riding here is getting better because there is a very active local building scene. If you are down to help with trailbuilding & maintenance and don't mind pedaling uphill, you'll love it here.

#8 ·
summer chairlifts

thanks for the heads up fellers - well im pretty lucky here in UK and ride most year in the Lake District which is all mountain 5inch riding, so Seattle sounds promising...

Im lucky enough to spend the summer riding out in the Alps guiding, using the chairlifts - are they any spots near Seatlle that let you on the lifts in the summer with natural trails?
- or is it a case of heading to Whistler for chairlift action?

Hopefully it comes off I hear good things - I loved BC when I was riding there not too far away either :thumbsup:

#10 ·
carbuncle said:
South Seatac:
Unfortunately word has it thats getting torn down very soon...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=475337

Future summer chairlift action may be had at Stevens Pass Ski Area. They are working on getting trails open to MTB's hopefully by Summer '09. It's about a 2-ish hour drive from Seattle and looking very promising.

*edit - yeah, what FM said :thumbsup: .

#11 ·
strak636 said:
thanks for the heads up fellers - well im pretty lucky here in UK and ride most year in the Lake District which is all mountain 5inch riding, so Seattle sounds promising...

Im lucky enough to spend the summer riding out in the Alps guiding, using the chairlifts - are they any spots near Seatlle that let you on the lifts in the summer with natural trails?
- or is it a case of heading to Whistler for chairlift action?

Hopefully it comes off I hear good things - I loved BC when I was riding there not too far away either :thumbsup:
whistler is really close and the best place you will ever ride

#12 · (Edited)
Coming fromt the UK you'll be stoked to find a huge variety of riding, terrain and climates within 2 hours. High alpine, islands, rooty western wa forests, rocky and dry eastern wa forests, cliffs, valleys, scree fields, ridge lines, meadows, volcanos. It's pretty good and there's some killer scenery. If you only do DH, you're limiting yourself around here. If you're willing to earn it, you'll find some goooood riding.

In the winter its more limited due to snow above 2000 ft, but there's still a handfull of fun winter riding spots close by.

#13 ·
#16 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
man that place is a good place to get your dirt double confidence plus gap step downs......what a shame...that place makes riders get way better fast
Fortunately we have Colonnade now, which is an incredible place to progress at. I cannot describe how much my jumping skills have improved, along with my skills at skinnies and other man made features since I started riding there.

Duthie Hill is also gonna be fantastic. It would probably eclipse SST anyways. I hope SST stays in place with the construction but it isn't likely, fortunately Duthie is looking really good to replace it, and Stevens Pass is gonna be sic, no doubt. The guys who built Whistler are doing the consulting and construction at Stevens Pass so I'm not worried about that park becoming a premier lift serviced location in the northwest.

Both Stevens and Duthie should start to be ready to ride just about as soon as your fit to get on the bike again SMT! Hope to see you up here soon.

#22 ·
South Seatac has been on the edge of destruction ever since I started riding there: golf course, freight terminal for the airport, road reroute...two years ago we saw a survey crew on the side by the library that asked us for directions in the park...it is what it is, like a secret pack of DJs or a good street skating spot it's around until it isn't around anymore. I just enjoy it when I go there, and always figure that any time I ride there it might be the last time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.