Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hope Rear Hub....10mm Bolt on or Through Axle?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  006_007 
#1 ·
I got my wheels for my 09 Demo 8 in a few weeks ago, Its been cold out and I have been pretty busy with work so sadly I havent had a chance to pay too much attention to them. My question is that I have the option from with the Hope Pro II hub shop to run a 10mm through axle (which i already have the axle as it came stock with the demo 8) or I can run a 10mm bolt on setup from Hope.

Which one would you pick? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either.......strength, weight, rigidity? The rear spacing on the demo's is 135mm incase that makes a difference. Thanks!

#3 ·
Hey brother, it's Sean from chainsmoke. Run the through axle for sure. I have one of those 10mm DT Swiss RWS ratcheting through axles that would fit, it's dope. If you want to trade me for something else small let me know, they're like $50 bucks retail. If you have a non-qr 34,9mm seat collar or something like that...

#6 ·
Doesn't the Demo have quick release dropouts? If so, there really isn't an option of running a true thru-axle (one that actually threads through an enclosed dropout into the frame like most DH/FR bikes) because the frame isn't equipped that way. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, though.

I've got a DT swiss 10mm thru-bolt on my Big Hit which works pretty well. It's a solid 10mm axle, the nutted, non-ratcheting version of what combatkimura posted.

#7 ·
The demo does have QR drop outs, there is no enclosed dropout, I guess my terminology was confused, Hope offers either a setup to run a solid 10mm axle completely through their hub (that was what i was referring to as a through axle) And that is what the demo's stock wheels are, and they come with the 10mm axle, and it threads into a derailleur guard that hangs off the side of the frame, and hope also offered the option to have 2 10mm bolts thread into each side of the hub, then to be torque down.

#8 ·
i would go with the 10mm through axle. I ran one for a while with the rws setup and still would if i didn't go over to a 12mm frame.
currently my wife has the rws skewer on her bike too. they are light and tool free. probably easier than a regular quick release.

I haven't dealt with the bolt on ones. i don't know a single person who has. the 10mm through axles are just so nice.

oh and you got to love hope pro 2 hubs. mine has went from qr on my first bike to 10mm on my next and now to 12 on my current bike. 20-30 bucks to switch a hub like that is not bad. plus they have gone 2 full seasons like a champ.

#10 ·
The DT Swiss RWS system is awesome - gives the benefits of a thick / stiff bolt on without the needs for extra tools.

That being said, you could probably torque a bolt on a bit tighter with a proper wrench and have a slightly (albeit unnoticeable) stiffer rear end. Downside is you would need to carry a wrench in case of flats (but most carry tools anyway...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.