Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dilema on what type of bike to get back into mountain biking

764 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Caffeine Powered 
#1 ·
It has been about 5 years since i have done any biking, prior i use to basic trails nothing advanced. Currently I am getting out of the military in a couple months and plan getting back into biking heavily as it has been a passion of mine.

My dilemma is that i will have space for one bike and the bike will be used for commuting and general riding through local parks near me (daily basis) and about 3 times a week (more depending on time available) i will be hitting up some of the cross country trails near me. Normally when i ride it is for long periods of time usually multiple times per day if i can fit it in. I plan on pushing myself as much as i can maybe not to the level of DH/FR but we will see.

The amount of money i am looking on spending is under 1500$ for the bike. Previous bike was a Schwinn with no shocks in case anyone was curious. Current debate is between hardtail or a dual suspension (26). I was able to try out a 29er while i was home for turkey day, still not sure about one, rolls over terrain nice albeit less nimble on the handling it seems.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

#2 ·
Personally, I'd go for a stout hardtail (26"). Ideally, something like a Sinister RIdge with a Pike or Lyrik up front :ihih:

That way you can have a bike that will work nicely on the XC trails, but will be able to handle pretty much anything else you throw at it. For your budget you can get a killer build on a good HT frame as well.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice so far guys. Currently debating between building a bike off the Sinister Ridge frame for a hardtail or a picking up a Dakar XCT 1 or 2 for FS. It is still a tough debate between the two i need something that can be good on the road for long rides as well as take a beating on long XC rides as well as last me for the next few years. Since i only have room for one bike for the next few years it makes the choice a pain.

#6 ·
Not that it means anything but I'm former Army myself. I'll recommend someting similar to the Gary Fisher Cobia or a Raleigh XXIX+G (not sure of its price) or here's a list of bikes posted for another guy.

Are you staying in Ohio when you get out or are you headed elsewhere? Enjoy being short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.