Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lighter tire options for Highline

2K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  TLL 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Need some tire advice.
I have been running Maxxis Highrollers DH tires for the past year on my Highline, and they work well here in San Diego. No pinch flats and they hold well in the corners.

I'm looking to see if any lighter options would work, since I get away with only 26 lbs of pressure in the back, and never pinch flatted since I took off my Nevegals. My rims are horrible to work with for taking off tires, so this is important. I'm looking to make climbing less painfull, but still handle the downhill.

How well would the Ardents work as replacements for Highrollers? Do they have extra sidewall protection?

Any other tire suggestions? We generally have sandy hardpack with lots of rocks.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I dunno, but I've seen some pretty skinny tires being used on highlines, and I don't think they have any place on that type of bike, or if you can get away riding those skinnies you can get away with a lot less bike. I can't see going smaller than a durable/strong/tough 2.5, but up front I'd pretty much always want something bigger.

#4 ·
Dusty Bottoms said:
I've been very happy with ..... the Specialized Enduro Pro 2.4 (2bliss). Both weigh just under 1000g and are an honest 2.4, and have been very durable thru all kinds of riding, air time, and crashes. I run both tires tubeless with Stan's.
Dude, I can't believe you would suggest that tire. :skep: Did you runn that with the Ti Eggbeaters? :p

I have a scar that goes from my wrist to my elbow from that tire. Had it on my XC bike and nearly broke a collarbone when the front tire blew off the rim, on an buff X trail. Took it off and swore I've never use it again... a year later I really wanted lighter tires and so back on it went. This time it blew off the front rim while I was railing a berm on a pumptrack.

If you have tight fitting rims that might help. Cause on my wheels those tires fit looser than Fo's mom!

Kevlar beads+ tubeless+ DH/FR bike = Danger!!!!! :nono:

#6 ·
Jayem said:
and I don't think they have any place on that type of bike, or if you can get away riding those skinnies you can get away with a lot less bike.
Septicshock, I know you go plenty big but I am with Jayem on this one.

I had kevlar tires blow off both my front and rear rims this summer.
When the front blew off (pump track incident decribed below) it tore up my forearm pretty good- scarred for life likely.
When the rear blew off, (landing a drop to flat), I was able to keep it together but it pretty much trashed a good wheel. That was a maxxis advantage 2.4, on my RFX by the way.

Tires are one area where saving weight can really mess with your safety. I'd pick my RFX with heavier tires over the highline with lighter tires every time. Unless heavy tires are already on the menu, don't see much benefit in such a burly frame. Just my .02c.

#9 ·
I can't speak for lightweightedness but my Ardent 2.4DH tires kicked the crap outta my High Rollers in cornering. The MHRs do have good rolling resistance, and climb and brake well, till you lean them over.

The Ardents seemed to have the same general performance but also were a great boost in cornering as they were just as effective on the sides of the tires as they were on the tops.

~1180g each(protos)... not light but hella durable and sturdy. A lighter tire would be nicer, but I wouldn't too quick to trade off on this performance and toughness. I think they are probably too heavy to run daily on my Spot but I sure liked how they felt when I had them on it. I'm running the Ardent 2.6 DHs on my Highline and I'm digging them even more.

#11 ·
Bikezilla said:
I'm running the Ardent 2.6 DHs on my Highline and I'm digging them even more.
Zilla how do these perform in rocky terrain? Think Lynn Woods in MA off camber rocky nastiness. I have a set of 2.4 Ardents as my "XC Race" tires for the RFX but have been running a Nev DH rear and a Michy Comp DH in the front. Had to go back to a Nev in the front since Michy isn't making DH tires anymore :madmax:. I dug the Ardent in the 2.4 after it took some getting used to (no transition knobs, just center and side), just want to know how sticky it is in DH weight.

#12 · (Edited)
Check out the Geax Lobo Mas Loco TNT. A 2.5 with a UST bead, meaty tread, and still reasonable weight. Should come in right around 1000g, and it's got reinforced shoulder knobs too keep it from being squirmy and the traction on loose and loam is really good.

Gotta compromise somewhere to get something lighter, and I'd prefer to have a decent bead that'll stay put.

http://www.geax.com/vedit/pagina.asp~pagina~1904

#13 · (Edited)
FM said:
Dude, I can't believe you would suggest that tire. :skep: Did you runn that with the Ti Eggbeaters? :p

I have a scar that goes from my wrist to my elbow from that tire. Had it on my XC bike and nearly broke a collarbone when the front tire blew off the rim, on an buff X trail. Took it off and swore I've never use it again... a year later I really wanted lighter tires and so back on it went. This time it blew off the front rim while I was railing a berm on a pumptrack.

If you have tight fitting rims that might help. Cause on my wheels those tires fit looser than Fo's mom!

Kevlar beads+ tubeless+ DH/FR bike = Danger!!!!! :nono:
I guess this is a classic case of YMMV(your mileage may vary), because I've exploded upon impact on some pretty big moves and never had a folding bead tire setup as tubeless roll/blow off.

On the flipside, I had a folding Nevegal roll off the rim without even leaving the ground. Go figure.

Kevlar beads+ tubeless+ DH/FR bike = not THAT bad!

EDIT: I think the difference may be that I run my tires at 32/35 psi since I weigh over 200 pounds. That may keep them on the rim better.

#14 ·
Dusty Bottoms said:
I've been very happy with Scwhalbe Big Betty 2.4 (non tubeless), along with the Specialized Enduro Pro 2.4 (2bliss). Both weigh just under 1000g and are an honest 2.4, and have been very durable thru all kinds of riding, air time, and crashes. I run both tires tubeless with Stan's.
Same here, in regards to the Big Betty's, although I've always run them tubed. That's what I am going to use initially anyway on my Highline build I have going right now.

#15 ·
Dusty Bottoms said:
I guess this is a classic case of YMMV(your mileage may vary), because I've exploded upon impact on some pretty big moves and never had a folding bead tire setup as tubeless roll/blow off..
I think it's the rims.
I've ran mine on Mavic xm819's (on the RFX), and the 2bliss enduro has blown off the rim twice, running high pressures (35+). The bead was just too loose on the rim. Perhaps you have a tighter fit on different rims (823s?). I liked the tire otherwise, for XC/AM stuff, but coming off the rim was definitely a deal breaker!

#16 ·
skunkty14 said:
Zilla how do these perform in rocky terrain? Think Lynn Woods in MA off camber rocky nastiness. I have a set of 2.4 Ardents as my "XC Race" tires for the RFX but have been running a Nev DH rear and a Michy Comp DH in the front. Had to go back to a Nev in the front since Michy isn't making DH tires anymore :madmax:. I dug the Ardent in the 2.4 after it took some getting used to (no transition knobs, just center and side), just want to know how sticky it is in DH weight.
The trails in our two areas are very similar. (Lynn's got, a ton of big rocks to play on)

I've been very pleased with the 2.6 Ardents and suprisingly haven't PF'ed them all season. That's a record for me. I think I have heavy tubes in them though. I run ~35psi. sometime 40psi if I think I'll be warping into unusually nasty rock gardens at the lift park. (I'm 230lbs + Gear)

I personally found the transition from top to the side of the tire very smooth and transparent. YMMV. I did not like the Nevys or BG at all. I found the sidewalls too rolly and the tread grip mediocre at best. even at 50 PSI they PF'ed like xc tires ...at least the single ply set I had did.

The Ardents are my current favorite tire. I'll probably try the Minions this spring as they seem to get raves from a lot of ppl who ride the same trails and parks I do.

#17 · (Edited)
Sceptic, check out the Kenda Telonix singleply 2.4's. They also come in right around 1000 gr. They have a sidewall akin to the Big Betty, and hold very well in corners. I've been running one on the back of my HL for 3 months now. No pinch flats, but I run 50 psi in the back, and 40 up front. At your weight, you should do fine with 40 psi. in the rear. A buddy of mine is running one up front, and he seems to really like it.

#18 ·
Bikezilla said:
The trails in our two areas are very similar. (Lynn's got, a ton of big rocks to play on)

I've been very pleased with the 2.6 Ardents and suprisingly haven't PF'ed them all season. That's a record for me. I think I have heavy tubes in them though. I run ~35psi. sometime 40psi if I think I'll be warping into unusually nasty rock gardens at the lift park. (I'm 230lbs + Gear)

I personally found the transition from top to the side of the tire very smooth and transparent. YMMV. I did not like the Nevys or BG at all. I found the sidewalls too rolly and the tread grip mediocre at best. even at 50 PSI they PF'ed like xc tires ...at least the single ply set I had did.

The Ardents are my current favorite tire. I'll probably try the Minions this spring as they seem to get raves from a lot of ppl who ride the same trails and parks I do.
I think my comment re: Ardent and transition knobs could be due to running the 3C compound with the harder center.

Single ply nevys are garbage to me as well, PF all day and only last ~6 rides before I'm tearing all the side knobs right off. I've been pretty happy w/ a DH Nevy as a rear (2.5, dual casing, wire bead) since in a rear tire I personally just want gooy rubber for climbing rocks. I like to run this between 30-35psi, but I'm not sending stuff as large as you are.

Up front I just can't like the Nevy. Too much pressure, no traction. Too little, PF city. Again looking for the gooy rubber and being able to load the tire into turns so maybe give the Ardent a go. Minions are on my short list as well now that the Michys are gone. The DH Comp 16 was the balls.

Lynn is sweet, might be hooking onto a ride with CF next month to get a proper tour :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Big tires= goodness

I put 2.5 Maxxis DH tires on my RFX last summer and loved it. 25 psi with xc tubes, never feared for a flat rolled chunk like a 29r and cornered like a cat on carpet with the low pressure. High pressure is evil to good handling. Sure it works as Chingon pointed out, but a full 2 ply allows for more grip and less bounce. If you are riding a Highline, keep the 2ply tires and ride it like it was intended, with angst and agression. I like the Ardents and in 2 ply those should be a killer 21st century tire in the Maxxis line.

Fly high.

DT

#20 ·
skunkty14 said:
I think my comment re: Ardent and transition knobs could be due to running the 3C compound with the harder center.
I might actually get to play with a set of Ardents that deals with that! :thumbsup:

Lynn is sweet, might be hooking onto a ride with CF next month to get a proper tour :thumbsup:
Do it! CF will give you one heckuva tour! :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Big Betty's!

Dusty Bottoms said:
I've been very happy with Scwhalbe Big Betty 2.4 (non tubeless), along with the Specialized Enduro Pro 2.4 (2bliss). Both weigh just under 1000g and are an honest 2.4, and have been very durable thru all kinds of riding, air time, and crashes. I run both tires tubeless with Stan's.
+1 on BB in the 2.4 UST on 819's on my '07-'08 RFX. Riding weight = 200lbs. with 35 psi rear, 30 front.

DT - I love Maxxis Minion DHF's in a 2.5 with the DH casing but they are boat anchors for pedaling uphill.

DB - I rode the Specialized 2.3 Eskar Control 2Bliss for about a month and was cared shi*less about those sidewalls - scary thin; like parchment paper. Every time I went too close to one of the many sharp rocks we have here I cringed, puckered, and waited for the horrible hissing sound.

I agree that rubber is not the place to sacrifice too much strength for weight savings, especially if you are rippin' it, rollin' it, and/or roarin' it into the air. :thumbsup:

#22 · (Edited)
El Chingon said:
Sceptic, check out the Kenda Telonix singleply 2.4's.
Actually those are more akin to a 2ply, it's standard single ply with an Iron Cap with kevlar bead. Def closer to a kevlar bead DH tire than trail tire fo sho. Personally, I think this is the sleeper tire in the Kenda lineup, love this tire!!! :thumbsup:

Here is a little tidbit re: Iron Cap

A layer of material that runs from bead to bead under the tread to prevent flats. Iron Cap combines some of the technology from the top of the line Iron Cloak material without all the added cost.

#23 ·
I ran the big betty gooey compound for a while on the highline and they worked well for most places. Even at northstar I only got one pinch flat on the rear. They are pretty pinch flat resistant and only hitting pretty sharp rocks going really fast flatted it. I was running about 28-30 psi. I put a little more air in there and they were fine the rest of the day.

So yes they do have a limit but sometimes this is a good thing. I would suggest using them for your local terrain if it does not have a lot of sharp rocks. Running them will actually help you to learn to ride smoother in the straightaways and finesse the bike a little because you know if you pinched it was because you were sloppy Just because it's a big bike doesn't mean you should not be smooth.

Now when you are going to a place with chairlifts and nasty terrain put the dual plys back on. This will help because you'll likely be in unfamiliar terrain and be riding a long day and get tired and sloppy.

#24 ·
great thread, experienced the same things....so is the answer > 2.3? I have to run 35 psi in my rear minion so it doesn't feel flat, and the front slides out when railing, same with nevy's. On my dh bike I have 2.5 nevy up front, 2.5 tioga on back and I can rail it on scree with confidence....think I'll try 2.4 betty's or ardent on the spot next, thanx for the info.

#25 · (Edited)
Damn, you guys run some high air pressure.

I used 22-24 psi in my Minion 3Cs all summer resort riding.

Not a single flat or busted rim and I weigh 205+ lbs all geared up.

How the hell do you guys ride over wet roots running that pressure? Sounds like certain death to me.

Does rim width make a difference? I noticed a lot of folks riding DH FR bikes use some pretty damn skinny rims. Mavic seems to run pretty small considering the intended usage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.