Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is this right?

848 views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Bikinfoolferlife 
#1 ·
So, I was installing new brakes today and accidentally misplaced the brake cable that came in the Flak Jacket cable pack (I didn't know the cable that came in the package had different lengthed cable for front and rear ->stupid...:D ). Obviously, I needed another brake cable to finish my installation. I went into the LBS, and told them I need a couple of brake cables (figured I can keep one for spare). The associate gave me two brake cables and charged me for $10.80!:madmax: 11 bucks for two regular brake cables?!!? Is that even reasonable? I don't know. This is the first time buying cables from them (at my old LBS in Taiwan, cables are FREE). It just seems kinda steep. Can anyone tell me if this is normal in the US?

#2 ·
$11 is dinner. You can't expect something for nothing. Sure, its a rip-off, but what are you going to do? You could have said "Whoa, that's steep. I'll get them somewhere else." or "I only need one if you're charging that much for them."

#4 ·
SpyderPride said:
$11 is dinner. You can't expect something for nothing. Sure, its a rip-off, but what are you going to do? You could have said "Whoa, that's steep. I'll get them somewhere else." or "I only need one if you're charging that much for them."
I know it wouldn't be free. And I did not expect it to be free (the owner at my old LBS was just really nice to me), but 11 dollars? that is just ridiculous. Should've bought just one or some where else...

#6 ·
oakley198877 said:
I know it wouldn't be free. And I did not expect it to be free (the owner at my old LBS was just really nice to me), but 11 dollars? that is just ridiculous. Should've bought just one or some where else...
I'm just saying that a lot of the parts we buy for our bikes are a rip-off. Just make sure to do research online before buying anything at a shop, then make a cost/benefit decision or attempt to haggle. Some shops match online prices + shipping. I wonder if bulk cable from a hardware store would work...

#8 ·
I've paid $12 for ONE cable before, and it was for the front of a road bike, so short. I didn't think twice about it; especially since the shop didn't charge me for their 1.5hrs of labor trying to un-seize my brake.

Probably would have paid close to $30 for new XTR cables (possibly even more) for my last build but that was built into a $200 build fee that was reduced to $90 for me since I'd bought the frame from them.

Bike stuff ain't cheap, even when it's relatively inexpensive to make and buy in bulk.

#9 ·
No...

SpyderPride said:
I wonder if bulk cable from a hardware store would work...
There are metal stops cast on to the end of the brake cable that fit in to the brake levers. A cable from a hardware store wouldn't have the proper stop molded in to the cable.

*Could* you manufacture something to replace an off the shelf cable? Sure. But the price would likely much higher than $5/cable.

#12 ·
And....

Bikinfoolferlife said:
Kinda depends what quality and brand of cable it was, you don't say. Was it just a cheap galvanized cable? Stainless steel? Teflon coated? Big brand name?
Because the cable the OP was replacing was a Flack Jacket (teflon coated), my guess is that the replacement cables were also teflon coated.

#14 ·
just for the record, the cables from the Flak Jacket pack wasn't teflon coated, it was stainless. the whole transaction was only the 2 cables. did the installation myself. I walked to the service counter and asked for two regular stainless brake cables. saw the guy went and pulled two cables out of those bulk boxes. (I didn't see what the brand it was. But I think it should be Jagwire. The cables are not teflon coated, it is stainless) And charged $11 for the two cables, that's it.

I would understand it would cost more if it were something like the XTR cable sets or teflon cables or some special stuff. But they could've bought the whole box for maybe less than $150 (JensonUSA sells them for $150.) So, 4.99+tax for a one cable, then the whole box can profit the shop [100 cables x $4.99 - $150 = $349] 349 dollars!! 349 dollars just from selling cables?! tell me that's reasonable....

#16 ·
SpyderPride said:
I'm just saying that a lot of the parts we buy for our bikes are a rip-off. Just make sure to do research online before buying anything at a shop, then make a cost/benefit decision or attempt to haggle. Some shops match online prices + shipping. I wonder if bulk cable from a hardware store would work...
yea... i hear you man... rip-off is the right word. Maybe it was my mistake that I didn't do much research online for the cables. Well, next time i'll know.

#17 ·
oakley198877 said:
So, 4.99+tax for a one cable, then the whole box can profit the shop [100 cables x $4.99 - $150 = $349] 349 dollars!! 349 dollars just from selling cables?! tell me that's reasonable....
Ok then, it's reasonable. Personally, I'll pay $5 a cable (I just told you I didn't flinch about $10 in one cable...and that was a NORMAL Jagwire cable) occasionally to keep the guy down the street that otherwise treats me well in business. No brainer to me. Now, if the guy down the street DOESN'T otherwise treat me well...well then, different story. Personally I have no desire to have an entire spool of wire sitting around and I'll pay the premium to not. I can get paper towels cheaper too if I get them from costco in 30 packs (or whatever) doesn't mean that I have the space or that the price decrease offsets the added inconveniences. If it does for you, cool, but I still don't think the shop was out of line.

#18 ·
You weren't clear whether you got 2 inner wires only or 2 cables with housing. $5.50ea would be OK for 2 SS brake cables with housings, but is definitely a bit steep for 2 SS inner wires only. Unless they were an original brand, such as "Sram" which adds to the dealers cost, they should not have cost that much.

Then again you always have the right to say "no thank you'. There isn't a gun to your head so if you elect to make the purchase, there's no point in grousing about it.

#19 ·
FBinNY said:
You weren't clear whether you got 2 inner wires only or 2 cables with housing. $5.50ea would be OK for 2 SS brake cables with housings, but is definitely a bit steep for 2 SS inner wires only. Unless they were an original brand, such as "Sram" which adds to the dealers cost, they should not have cost that much.

Then again you always have the right to say "no thank you'. There isn't a gun to your head so if you elect to make the purchase, there's no point in grousing about it.
just the inner cables. I know of course i can say no thanks. but i really needed the cables to finish my build, so.... i guess i shouldn't be complaining. all I'm saying is that i think the price is steep and i want to ask everyone if the price was reasonable.

#20 ·
I think $5 per cable is reasonable for stainless (at least where I live). I usually buy them in bulk, as well as housing, just to keep my costs down, though. If you were a bike shop owner you would often double the cost of a part or accessory for your normal retail price, and you'd still be poor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.