Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Needle bearing trouble

757 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Kevs87 
#1 ·
Hey, This had probably been asked before but I'm having a lot of trouble removing the old needle bearings from the linkage on my '04 DHR. Is there a special tool? Tips?

#2 ·
You can use a socket set and a vice. Find a socket that just fits on the end of the bearing, but does not contact the aluminium of the actual linkage. Find a big socket into which the bearing can pass to seat the linkage against the other side. Now you CAN hit the smaller socket with a hammer, or you can put the whole thing in a vice, check everything's lined up, and tighten away. The smaller socket will drive the needle bearing out of the linkage.

If you have one of these tools, or similar, you can use it to start off the process and not worry about having everything lined up, but the throw on mine (the one pictured) is not sufficient to drive the bearing out completely.

#5 ·
Yeah it worked really well. Thanks! I used a 3/4 " socket on one side and a thick-walled 7/16 " socket to push out the bearing. I put the whole thing in a big work bench vice and just cranked it slowly. It was considerably difficult at first but as soon as I got it to move a bit the rest just came like cake.

And I got my new ones on order from Turner and pivot bearings I'm getting locally so I should have a rock hard linkage when I'm done. sweet

Thanks again for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.