Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Short Stem on Sultan

804 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kidsuma 
#1 ·
Been riding my 07 Sultan for a while on a 75mm stem with mav DUC forks and then a 70mm with Pace 100mm. As Im a tweener between medium and large the top tube is still a wee bit long so on a whim I thought I'd go short and try a 50mm. Picked up a Thomson s/h and had first ride round the block this avo. I was really suprised and happy with what its done to the handling, steering is quicker without being too much, sharp switchbacks felt clean too. Makes the whole bike feel faster and more fun. This is with a 100mm fork, bike set up with RP23 LV can and 5.5 rockers in XC mode. Will try it with the CCDB and longer forks in a while, but I expect it will improve the slightly slacker handling of longer forks. Will post ride report then. Ive stayed away from stubby's until now thinking they were for DH only...how wrong....I like! Looks cool too. Too many spacers on the bike I know, forks are on loan from another bike till I decide on he next choice...probably 120 Reba's.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm just under 5' 10.75" with a 33" inseam (I think!). I've tried a medium 5 Spot a few years ago and it was a great fit in some ways and too small in others - way too much seat tube showing. The large Turner is a better size even though I liked the shorter wheelbase of the medium. This short stem counteracts the slight tendency that the large has for barn door handling in the tight stuff.

#4 ·
You're almost dead on my height/inseam as well. I've only been on a large 07 RFX which I like the fit of for general usage. My Sultan will be decidely XC oriented hence I went for the large to stretch out a bit, get the "in the bike" fit that I dig about my Turner. I think I have a 60mm stem on order for this reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.