Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

December RFX Ride Stoke

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  shanedawg 
#1 ·
The "new" RFX is done - just a few changes from the bastardized version I acquired - new bars and shorter stem, stock 0708 RFX rockers, new Elixir R brakes 185F, 160R (so far they feel great), some bigger tires and new cables. An RP23 is on the way, but I have figured out how to get the most out of the DHXAir and it's not too bad. I think the bike looks pretty sweet.

Fall is lasting here in Western Colorado, and the snow has been hitting the high country, but leaving the lower elevations pretty dry. This trail is really not a challenge for the RFX's capabilities. It has a pretty sustained couple of miles of twisty uphill singletrack, and the RFX is kind of slow to haul up the vertical, but it was really fun on the way down. I named this trail "The Forbidden Zone." It's an old BLM horse trail that was permitted years ago for an outfitter doing group rides. It hasn't been ridden by anyone in years. A little recon through Google Earth and I now have a private stash within a mile of my house. I'm pretty sure the BLM would not permit bikes here - but it's ambiguous enough and remote enough that nobody will ever know. Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey cutt, the bike looks great. Gotta love the retro look of the older models, eh?:p

I love riding primitive trails and never pass up the opportunity to do something new. We did a similar ride out of Cumbress Pass in southern CO on the Continental Divide.

#6 ·
bobo_krkk_NIN said:
Why use the 07/08 rockers on a 2006 RFX? Just curious.
The front triangle is an 0708 so it needs the newer rockers. The rear end is the 06 version - slightly longer seat stay and chain stay, but it works. The bike came with the 06 rockers, and that didn't work at all. I'm hunting for a Spot seat stay, but for now it rides very well.

#7 ·
cutthroat said:
The front triangle is an 0708 so it needs the newer rockers. The rear end is the 06 version - slightly longer seat stay and chain stay, but it works. The bike came with the 06 rockers, and that didn't work at all. I'm hunting for a Spot seat stay, but for now it rides very well.
OK. I looked closely at the photos and convinced myself that it was a 2006 front triangle. Mostly because my 2006 is the same color :) and the rear triangle is for sure a 2006...

Looks fun in either case. I do concur on the "feeling heavy" on the climbs and loving the descents. Mine is coil front and rear, so I justify the heavy with the smoothness of the coils. I think. The 5 spot feels like a feather in comparison..... Wonder what a 2009 Flux would feel like with a lightish build.... hmmmm....

bobo

#8 ·
cutthroat said:
What rockers are you using?
Spots?

My project should begin today, just waiting on the parts.

#10 ·
Nice RFX there, cutthroat. I'm not quite sure how the BLM manages, as out here it's mostly County or USFS but riding on USFS property in Colorado is legal unless specifically posted illegal. I'm pretty sure BLM is the same. As long as there are no "No Bike" signs, you should be good to go.

#12 ·
ignazjr said:
Nice RFX there, cutthroat. I'm not quite sure how the BLM manages, as out here it's mostly County or USFS but riding on USFS property in Colorado is legal unless specifically posted illegal. I'm pretty sure BLM is the same. As long as there are no "No Bike" signs, you should be good to go.
It's a bit questionable - the property is all BLM and is contiguous to a major riding area outside Carbondale that has miles of well established legal trails. I was trying to scout a connector that would allow me to access the legal stuff without riding 6 miles of paved bike path. I managed to piece it together using Google Earth and doing a little bush whacking, and found this cool network of old, but beautifully constructed 12" wide trails (they even have round treated lumber water bars pegged with rebar). At the top of the ridge I found an old BLM carsonite trail marker with a horse and a hiker symbol - it doesn't explicitly say no bikes, but the implication is there. I've ridden this loop about 7 or 8 times now and never seen another soul, so I think it's off the radar in any event. It is important elk range in the winter and I've seen numerous lion tracks, so BLM probably would not want it to be heavily utilized. I'm doing my part by keeping it secret:p

#14 ·
S-Works said:
Hey Cutty,

Can you talk some more about the Elixer's? How do they compare to other brakes you have had? Especially Juicy 7's, if you got experience with them.

TIA
I've only had 2 rides on them now, but I am impressed. I paid $200 for the set, including the larger front rotor from Tree Fort. I opted for the R version to save cost (this is not my main ride) and I found that the pad contact adjustment on the CRs was not something I really used on the Formula Biancos on the Sultan. The install and set up was typical Avid - super easy, no rotor rub and a half hour job max. Hose length was a bit long, but not so much that I felt I had to trim the lines and bleed so that's nice. Split clamp mounts make removal or install easy. Bleeding should also be typical Avid/Formula - i.e easy with the bleed kit. Pads install through the top port on the caliper - very nice like the Formulas. They're light - 385 grams.

I have only ridden on a friend's bike with the Juicy 7s (a Yeti 575) and I thought those brakes were OK but nothing spectacular - a little bit on and off feeling -similar to the BB7s when they're dialed up with the SD7 levers for max power. The Juicys had only moderate power I thought (160mm rotor up front - I'm definitely a 185mm guy) In contrast, the Elixirs have a more subtle feel at the lever - it's very easy to feather the brakes with a light pull (I guess that's modulation), but when you need to power it up, the brakes will answer right away if you pull a little bit harder. There's not a huge amount of lever throw, which I like - maybe an inch or so to get to lock-up. It's a nice smooth progression. They are powerful - more powerful than the Biancos I think, but the pads are brand new too and my Formulas are ready for a new set. The levers are comfortable and the tools free lever reach adjustment is very nice - just turn the knob. One drawback to the R version is a lack of an adjustable banjo fitting at the caliper - the hose could be routed more smoothly if you could adjust the angle, but it doesn't affect performance at all, just aesthetics. The design is compact, stylish and light. The calipers and rotors are silent. I'm particular about torque settings and caliper alignment and take a lot of time to bed the pads initially on asphalt before going for a real ride - so noise is seldom a problem for me. However, my Biancos have been really noisy in back for some reason - the Elixirs were quiet right out of the box. I'd rank these right up there with the Formula K18s I had on the Spot - a nicely designed and very affordable and really powerful set of brakes. Should be great for the FR and AM crowd but good for XC too.

Attachments

#17 ·
cutthroat said:
Thanks!

I am trying to decide etween the 08 5Spot or RFX. I will be transfering parts from my existing ride to the new frame. My existing for is 145mm and I will not be able to upgrade for a while. I could always run a 15mm spacer to get the geo closer to where it should be.
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id183.html

I am just not sure if I need an RFX. The other bikes on my list are the
Heckler
Chumba XCL

I think the Spot is more comparable to those bikes than the RFX. What kind of abuse can the Spot handle?

#18 ·
Tim Mailloux said:
Thanks! What kind of abuse can the Spot handle?
Lots - for do everything riding, the Spot is the bike to choose. The RFX can be built up light, but it kind of defeats the purpose. The RFX is built to be punished. If you plan on climbing at all, the RFX is kind of a pig compared to the Spot.

#20 ·
This is very true

cutthroat said:
Lots - for do everything riding, the Spot is the bike to choose. The RFX can be built up light, but it kind of defeats the purpose. The RFX is built to be punished. If you plan on climbing at all, the RFX is kind of a pig compared to the Spot.
I have one of each. The Spot is the much better XC machine of the two (XC meaning long sustained climbs and rolling terrain). It does the downhill rough stuff just fine. The RFX is a heavier feeling machine on the climbs and rolling terrain, but point it downhill in rough terrrain, stay off the brakes and start grinning. I mix up the riding between the two, but it works out that I ride the Spot 2 out of the 3 days that I ride most weeks. It depends on the riding that you do, but if I could have only one it would be the Spot. I ride almost exclusively at South Mountain Park in Phoenix, AZ for terrain comparison.

bobo

#21 ·
Tim Mailloux said:
My existing for is 145mm and I will not be able to upgrade for a while. I could always run a 15mm spacer to get the geo closer to where it should be.
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id183.html
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the enduro externalizer is only for internal headsets? I think the only crown race "spacer" is specific for Chris King. The Cane Creek S3 +5 would work too if you an alternative to CK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.