Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DHR cranks experiment

990 views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Nick. 
#1 ·
So currently I have a set of truvativ holzfeller ISIS cranks 175mm on the DHR that were a hand me down from the Highline. The 83mm ISIS bb bearings are a little gritty and I'm thinking that I might want a 170mm crank on the DHR anyway so I am searching for a new set of cranks and I'll take the holzfellers and put them on my RFX and pair them with a 73mm ISIS bb that I have that is still spinning smooth.

So I was looking at a new set of OCT holzfellers and a howitzer BB but I'm not sure I'm
a. not loving the howitzer BB/crank attachment design
b. not loving the weight. ~750gm for the cranks, single ring, and bash + ~415 for the howitzer BB = 1165gm

So in doing some diggin around I discovered that I may be able to get a set of FSA gravity lite cranks and then match those up with a Chris King BB. ~1000gm SWEET

So is anyone else already doing this or tried it? I will probably either be buying the parts this month or maybe be putting them on the Christmas list and hoping that santa can hook it up!! Of course I would get a black king BB but the brown was the only good pic I could find.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
doin kinda the same thing but with diff bits. just installed #3 which i think will do fine for my weight and level of play:

setup #1, 1324g:
Race Face Diabolos - 73 x 170mm
Bottom Bracket: Race Face X type w/ Enduro bearings
Chainring: Race Face DH - 36 tooth
Bash Ring: Race Face - 36 tooth

setup #2, 1162g:
Truvative Hozfeller crank - 165mm
Truvative DH B/bkt - 73 x 113mm
Race Face DH chainrings - 38 tooth
Mr. Dirt Gizmo bash ring

setup #3, 1076g:
Truvative Stylo crank - 170mm
Truvative GXP X type b/bkt (Enduro bearings soon)
E13 Supercharger bash ring

i dig the solid feel of the rf's but theyre just too anchor-ish. considered the gravity lites but i got the stylos from sc on that blowout and couldnt pass up the price. thought i was gettin 165's but those showed up with 3 rings so they go on candycorns stinger. the 170's are single ring only. oh well. the king b/bkt looks sweet but i believe the enduros to be just as good a bearing and alot less cash spent. $20 and ya already have the cups. beats the snot outta kings $150 unit or whatever they go for.

#4 ·
But CC, your DHR runs a 73mm BB, and hence you have way more options...

Shanedawg, there have been many reports of people bending the gravity lights on DH rigs, but if the trails you ride are relatively smooth, and you're not hitting stuff too hard, you might get away with it. Other semi-burly options would be the Race Face Atlas FRs, or the new Saints which, when available, are rumoured to be weighting just 70g more than the gravity lights.

#5 ·
IMO best setup for a light/strong setup:

#1: Race Face Atlas FR crank 165mm, E13 DH ring
CK or Hope BB

#2: Gravity Light crank 165MM, E13 DH ring
CK or Hope BB

add a new E13 LG1 and roll it baby

I've put the GL in 2nd because it marks very easily. One friend told me it's butter! ( he rides in rocky trails and after one season it looks really bad. maybe the 2009 model has been updraded.

that's my 5 cents

#8 ·
shanedawg said:
So currently I have a set of truvativ holzfeller ISIS cranks 175mm on the DHR that were a hand me down from the Highline. The 83mm ISIS bb bearings are a little gritty and I'm thinking that I might want a 170mm crank on the DHR anyway so I am searching for a new set of cranks and I'll take the holzfellers and put them on my RFX and pair them with a 73mm ISIS bb that I have that is still spinning smooth.

So I was looking at a new set of OCT holzfellers and a howitzer BB but I'm not sure I'm
a. not loving the howitzer BB/crank attachment design
b. not loving the weight. ~750gm for the cranks, single ring, and bash + ~415 for the howitzer BB = 1165gm

So in doing some diggin around I discovered that I may be able to get a set of FSA gravity lite cranks and then match those up with a Chris King BB. ~1000gm SWEET

So is anyone else already doing this or tried it? I will probably either be buying the parts this month or maybe be putting them on the Christmas list and hoping that santa can hook it up!! Of course I would get a black king BB but the brown was the only good pic I could find.
Just go with the Gravity Lites,then if you really want to save weight get rid of the 888.That is my plan for my 08',my 05' has Holzfeller's(may put them on the 08')but will most likely go with GL and sell the 06' 888RC2X and get the new Boxxer(fingers crossed).

#9 ·
like big ted said, that may not be a option. the '08 has a 83mm shell makin yer crank spindle 10mm short of a fit. or maybe ya have a older 3 pc version and plans for a long b/bkt?

so far im happy with the boxxer. no real time on it but it seems clear that itll get all squishy when i need it to and its light enough for even me to loft the front end when requiered. just stuck the light spring inside and so far so good. may go back to the med spring when it breaks in as suggested by some of these guys. anyway, i say go for it.

#10 ·
I agree with Sean the new Saints blow away everything listed. I had the old Saints (on my 6 pack) and I ran Truvativs until I got my New Saints three weeks ago. Truvativs loosen up way to often for a guy my size. They were new and free until I could get my Saints. Another AZ Homer has the Gravity lites and he also agrees they don't compare to the Saints. Now The Chris King BB comes in Gold so for those who know my addiction to Gold parts and stuff that says Chris King.....LOL

Crimson

#11 ·
Just put a Hammerschmidt on your DHR, and turn it into a race machine that climbs too.

On a serious note, if you run that King BB on a 83mm shell bike, do you remove the tube that connects the two cups, or does CK make a 83mm specific BB?

#12 ·
Crimson said:
I agree with Sean the new Saints blow away everything listed. I had the old Saints (on my 6 pack) and I ran Truvativs until I got my New Saints three weeks ago. Truvativs loosen up way to often for a guy my size. They were new and free until I could get my Saints. Another AZ Homer has the Gravity lites and he also agrees they don't compare to the Saints. Now The Chris King BB comes in Gold so for those who know my addiction to Gold parts and stuff that says Chris King.....LOL

Crimson
the new saints have gold as well...they are keen and are tough enough to stand up to my posing at 175 lbs riding long travel bikes on xc trails!

#13 ·
El Chingon said:
Just put a Hammerschmidt on your DHR, and turn it into a race machine that climbs too.

On a serious note, if you run that King BB on a 83mm shell bike, do you remove the tube that connects the two cups, or does CK make a 83mm specific BB?
This one of the options for sure but it's low on the list because I get the feeling that even with low gearing the DHR is not going to climb well at all. The seat angle, length of post, head angle, etc. Ughhh. This will be the shuttle, lift, and push up on foot bike and I'm gonna revive my 01 RFX for those days when I need to climb.

#14 ·
So are the reports of bent GL's from riding and going big or are they from crashes?

I read up in the review section that someone bent them in a crash. I had a friend bend some holzfellers in a crash too so I think no crank is totally bulletproof in a crash but I would hate to bend them landing a big drop or something. I do go moderately big but usually land smooth and don't crash too often.

The atlas is something I was looking at but when they came out I heard a lot of people complaining about bearing preload problems. Did they get this fixed?

I'm pretty anit-shimano so the saint is out. I'm not much of a gold blingy type guy anyway.

Here is an action photo of the new DHR having some fun this weekend at a killer jump spot. It feels really good in the air and I can't believe how comfortable I felt on it considering it was my first real ride on the bike.

Attachments

#15 ·
El Chingon said:

King does not make a 83mm specific. They told me that the tube from the gravity lite may fit on there but if not then no big deal. They are pretty confident in their bearing seals and since they have the grease purge system you can flush them. I would still feel better with a sealing tube because I think that the dhr does have a whole in between the down tube and the bb but I guess if you always ride in wet conditions you could always drill the bottom on the bb shell anyway.

#16 ·
shanedawg said:
Here is an action photo of the new DHR having some fun this weekend at a killer jump spot. It feels really good in the air and I can't believe how comfortable I felt on it considering it was my first real ride on the bike.
nice Shane! sounds like my ride yesterday, first time back on the DHR after a couple weeks on the new RFX. Sure is fun to fly DHRair :thumbsup:. I'll try to get some video posted.

#17 · (Edited)
Not to bash Saint but have a read on RM about bash plates if you want Saint cranks ok if running taco LG 1 style setups! but some are running into issues with some bash guards and single rings! Just check it out first is all..

Everything has its quirks it seems, dam it its why I'm so big on int stds but that's out the door!,

Hope ya find something that suits ya SD, its a nightmare I agree, I'd be in the 165mm group and stiff as poss so RF FR might only op in my case which I'm not!

I hear allot of this bearing preload issue stuff with RF it is fiddly initially but its dum arses sorry but stupid is stupid does, its understanding the system and setting it up, Ive had no problems with it, I did spend a bit of time initially understanding it, and getting it right for each bike.

The Deus BB was weak the Diablous BB much better, I haven't used the newer ones with supposedly superior bearings and PW grease could be marketing who knows, still I have no issue with it, may be better ways, but mine run smooth and back pedal on there own, with no slop and BS stinger on there lol!

No different for any other component once setup its set and forget! last I'm gonna say about it!

3pc be nice but only come in 170mm, might be ok on the DHR something like Deity Vendetta stiff as hell, light and strong too they do a 83mm BB and very nice! My Deity stuff never let me down and always run sweet!

There new DH rings designed for either LG1 style bash guards or the full bash four bolt style!

Could be worth a look def DH worthy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.