Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is my pivot forked? Homer help requested

747 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  skunkty14 
#1 ·
So RFX was getting a little overdue TLC tonight since I heard some odd noises during my Tues night ride. Rather quickly I noticed my driveside dropout pivot bolt is loose and missing the nut.

Awesome.

So upon inspection it looks like the outside seat for the nut has been nicked up a bit probably by the nut rattling around before being lost. See the photo below. I stole a nut off the Sultan I have waiting to be built in the meantime. The nut snugged up well and looks like it seated properly in the chainstay. Still worried however. Based on the photo is this something I should look into replacing?

Disclaimer. By no means is this somehow the fault of Turner bikes. I ride this bike hard and don't give it enough TLC, mainly because I'd much rather be ripping than wrenching.

See less See more
#2 ·
i had a similar nut pop off of the same pivot and rode a mile or so before noticing. ended up with a replacement nut only and it's all good so far. i didn't look at the pivot holes as closely as you have but used a hand stress test as a check.

with the wheel off and replacement nut and bolt in, grab the chain stay with one hand and the ss with the other and pull in all directions to see if you can feel any play. sure, certain play or instability may not be evident by hand if the bolt is still seated on the ss side of the pivot but maybe that's enough unless ur still worried.

probably best to ignore this and just ask turner about it and see if you need a rear stay replacement. hope it works out easy.

#4 ·
Well the highly scientific yank on pivot test when bike is turned over didn't reveal anything out of the norm. I'll keep a close eye on it this weekend while riding. I intend to tear down the rear end of the bike this winter anyway but this may expedite that being done so I can take a look at the bushing for damage. I probably rode this ~4mi like this based on when I heard the noise, but probably means the bolt was loose prior to this.

Good thing I had that extra Sultan kicking around for a 50 cent piece of hardware :rolleyes:

#5 ·
I can't tell by the pic is that TNT or Horst? I know the Horst link used a smaller diameter hole so when it happened to me I got the TNT hardware from Greg and drilled it out to fit. After that it was just like new. I did have the same bolt work loose on my new RFX. Something about that drive side pivot.

#6 ·
aixelsyd said:
I can't tell by the pic is that TNT or Horst? I know the Horst link used a smaller diameter hole so when it happened to me I got the TNT hardware from Greg and drilled it out to fit. After that it was just like new. I did have the same bolt work loose on my new RFX. Something about that drive side pivot.
It's a TNT bike, photographed upside down.

Interesting fix. I'm definitely going to hit this with some locktite before riding.

#7 ·
skunkty14 said:
It's a TNT bike, photographed upside down.

Interesting fix. I'm definitely going to hit this with some locktite before riding.
If its the TNT then you already have the larger hole and new style hardware. I was surprised to see that my drive side pivot on the RFX did not appear to have been loc-tited but the non-drive side was. They both now have some fresh loctite after the drive side backed out the first time. Since then its been good.

#9 ·
moosehead said:
new thread - parting out sultan
Hopefully not, frame has sat quietly in the box for ~6 mos waiting for further funding (snagged when the first wave of sale prices came out). Though with economy blah blah blah who knows how long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.