Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DW Flux

2K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Copenhagen 
#1 ·
Just got my new 2009 Flux put together. Hoping for good weather tonight for the first ride.

Frame is a large and came in at 6.11lbs or 2.77kg, total build is 24.9lbs including pedals and bottle cage in a pretty light XC setup - I'm happy with that. Weight aside, can't wait to see how it rides. Pictures attached below (or so I hope).

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Dayammm! that's schweet!!
Excellent shots too.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the ride. Nice build mang.

The crossmark has been good on the front of my Spot but I didn't like it so much on ther rear. Looks like you have similar terrain, watch the leafy corners and wet climbs. ;)

#12 ·
Sweet build! That thing looks fast sitting still.

That setup looks like it puts a lot of your weight over the front end. Out of curiousity, is this something you've settled on after trying a more rearward position (shorter stem, more saddle setback), or just the way you've always done it?

#13 ·
miles e said:
Sweet build! That thing looks fast sitting still.

That setup looks like it puts a lot of your weight over the front end. Out of curiousity, is this something you've settled on after trying a more rearward position (shorter stem, more saddle setback), or just the way you've always done it?
miles e, thanks. Have not settled on the position yet. I think, I would actually like to be a little more stretched out (longer stem), but what do I know. I probably need a couple of rides to determine.

#16 ·
Rear derailleur cable?

In another thread the picture looked like the rear derailleur cable was almost rubbing the rear shock "shaft" and the shock body looked like it would hit the cable at full travel. Maybe just the picture, but you may want to look at it.

She sure is pretty....

bobo

#20 ·
bobo_krkk_NIN said:
In another thread the picture looked like the rear derailleur cable was almost rubbing the rear shock "shaft" and the shock body looked like it would hit the cable at full travel. Maybe just the picture, but you may want to look at it.

She sure is pretty....

bobo
bobo, sharp eyes - you are right on the rear derailleur cable, it's close to the shock shaft for sure. I was trying to mirror the cable routing from the Interbike Fluxs and figure the cable needs the bend between coming off the down tube and hitting the rear triangle for suspension movement. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Attachments

#21 ·
Ooh wow......nice job ! :thumbsup:

Seeing this new DWL Flux build has got me even more stoked for my DWL Sultan when it finally arrives ! I'm actually diggin the new designed 09 Turners and wanted one as soon as I heard and saw the first reviews ! It looks awesome..........and I bet it rides even better ! :cool: TIG.

#22 ·
Damn! DW Sultan is growing on me.......nice bike. This will put the cat among the pigeons over on the Ibis forum.....competition at last for Mr Mojo and should bring over a few carbon defectors. Lets hear a ride review, youve had 7 hours already!

#23 ·
First impression

Alright, I spend +3 hrs on the new 09 Flux today. The bike is a freaking rocket. Turner has a hit here. The bike really impressed me on the climbs. Lots of traction both while seated and while standing. I was positively surprised by being able to clear steep rocky and root filled sections while standing. My old bike - a 2002 Trek Fuel (.. yeah, I know) never had traction out of the saddle in those areas.

Descending is awesome. The Flux is very confidence inspiring and comfortable. I felt, I could go downhill much faster that I used to and it didn't feel sketchy (credit to the tires too, I guess).

On the trails I rode it with propedal set to 1 and OFF, which seemed to work well. With rear sag set to ~30 percent the bike feels really soft when you initially sit on it but at the same time it pedals great and bob is not noticeable on the trail. The combination of the soft feel and the great pedaling is almost a little freaky the first time you experience it (I had the same experience on a Pivot Mach 5 that I demoed). I flipped the propedal ON (still in position 1) for a couple of section on pavement. That almost gave the rear a locked out feel so that worked well for the road and might work well for extended smooth climbs too.

I'm really happy with the build and didn't have any real problems with any of the parts neither during the build nor riding today. I was a little worried about rear derailleur cable routing around the shock as bobo pointed in an earlier post out but the housing seems to have relaxed and is now well clear of the shock, so don't think that will be a problem.

Always thought the 09 Turners looked HOT, elevated chain stay and all. As you would expect the chain stay really does cut down on the chain slap so that's a nice bonus. Awesome bike - can't wait to ride it some more.

#25 ·
Copenhagen said:
Alright, I spend +3 hrs on the new 09 Flux today. The bike is a freaking rocket. Turner has a hit here. The bike really impressed me on the climbs. Lots of traction both while seated and while standing. I was positively surprised by being able to clear steep rocky and root filled sections while standing. My old bike - a 2002 Trek Fuel (.. yeah, I know) never had traction out of the saddle in those areas.

I'm really happy with the build and didn't have any real problems with any of the parts neither during the build nor riding today. I was a little worried about rear derailleur cable routing around the shock as bobo pointed in an earlier post out but the housing seems to have relaxed and is now well clear of the shock, so don't think that will be a problem.

Always thought the 09 Turners looked HOT, elevated chain stay and all. As you would expect the chain stay really does cut down on the chain slap so that's a nice bonus. Awesome bike - can't wait to ride it some more.
Good to hear on all counts. Looking at the cable routing again, I think that the cable moves with the rear triangle movement and all should be well. It still seems like an area where it is worth keeping an eye on but there probably is no issue. I suspect DT spent some time during development on cable routing to get it right.

Your bike is a beauty. If I didn't have 2 turners already, I would be getting a DWL turner to fit in the stable. I can only ride one at a time....

bobo

#26 ·
Good description of the ride. Interesting to hear that the suspension feels supple over the rough stuff, but still firm at the pedals.

Do you feel any kind of leverage release, like the suspension is being held up by the link until you get past the the action of the linkage? Sounds like a great design if the action of the linkage can't be perceived on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.