Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

silly question

449 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  aixelsyd 
#1 ·
please forgive me, but I have to ask...
I am going to buy a bike. I am considering the Rize, but I like eveything I hear about the DW-link.

When I look at the DW-link equipped MKIII Elite at RS cycles, and then look at the DW-link equipped Turner 5 spot, there appear to be similarities...

Note: I've always ridden bikes made in the USA... Cannondale mountain bikes & various Ti road bikes. Country of origin aside for a second...money is good to have these days and there is a big price difference (2X + at this time). Without turning this negative, can someone please explain the value proposition of buying the 5-Spot over the MKIII? Truly rides much better...or...?

#2 ·
Start here:
_DWs' description of his Turner Colaboration

There's plenty going on besides what casual similarities might indicate, just as with any similar looking brand bikes.

They'll ride differently b/c the're designed differently. The builder has his tastes and goals, plus there are refinements over time.

Turner put a very strong emphasis on lateral stiffenes and pivot performance. He and DW went throug great pains to make improvements there. Turner's Journal bearings (Igus Bushings) are only part of it. There's also lots of one piece cnc machined link blocks that add to stiffness and joints being held by both sides (Clevis).

Then there's Turner's attention to detail in a variety of other ways, not the least of which is balance and geometry.

Then there's US Hand built quality... yatta... this is just the start.

When it all comes down to it though you'll have to ride both to really get a feel for the differences.

#4 ·
I am not familiar with the MKIII. However, being here long enough, you'll find that Turner himself shows up quite often and gives much great information as well as stands behind his product. This means you'll be supported by many other Turner owners as well as Mr. Turner himself. I don't know what that equates to in $$ but I certainly believe it's worth a lot of piece of mind.

By the way, I just broke down and ordered up a new (old - 2008) Flux from Competitive Cyclist.

Aloha,
g

#5 ·
Another thing to consider is how long you plan on keeping the bike. If anything goes wrong with a Turner say 2 or 3 years after you bought it they will be there to help you sort it out. If I recall Iron Horse will no longer be using the DW Link anymore and has been Notoriously bad about CS isuues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.