Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Handlebar experiment on the Spot

713 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  AK Chris 
#1 ·
This year I have been running a 685mm (27") Easton low rise bar with a 100mm no rise Thomson x4 stem on my spot (with Pike up front at 140mm and 5.5 rockers and Van R while waiting for Romic to be returned). I am 5' 10", and I guess of average build. After reading some things about shorter stems (www.leelikesbikes.com), I tried a 70mm 0 degree thomson, and like it quite a bit, but felt a little more upright than I would like. In trying to find a wider bar to go with the shorter stem, I first was interested in a 710mm easton havoc, but when you figure it is only 1/2" wider on each side, I thought that a change of at least 2 inches total would be cool - I can always cut it, anyway. Looked online for a couple of weeks, never really finding something low rise with width except sunline -was about to spring for a sunline bar when I came upon a great deal on fleabay for a gravity light low rise bar - 800mm (31.5") wide. Paid a paltry $22 including shipping. It is a good looking bar, understated graphics and a sweep and rise similar to easton. Not for the weight weenie - mine weighs 406 grams for the 31.8 size. Figured I could cut it down when needed. However, after riding it for a month, I have decided against cutting any of it. It seemed really wide at first, although the stretch to it was comfy and my back was fine. Also, if I am cruising along a gravel road or flat area, it leaves plenty of room to place my hands inside the shifters/brakes if I want to rest the hands. It really slowed the steering down, in a good way. There is a certain short, rocky downhill run that I crash or at least dab 50% of the time, and the wider bar gives me much greater confidence to go faster down it, which has increased my "success" rate. Downsides are, of course, much less clearance in forested trails. I live in East Tennessee (lots of forest) but it has not been an issue. There is only one trail with one area that it has been a problem, but now that I know that I am prepared when I enter that area. Overall I am very pleased with the change, with the only real negative being the ribbing I get from buddies about having ape arms, etc. My wife is pregnant, and keep getting questions about when the little chimp is due. ha. Anyway, when I bothered to figure out the difference in reach for a 27" bar with 100mm stem vs 800mm bar with 70mm stem, measuring from the seat tube, ol' Pythagorus told me there was less than a 2mm difference. Not much, but the ergonomics of it seem to make a difference for me. Any thoughts appreciated. Also, if my math is wrong, let the engineers/mathematicians flame on. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm going to try a wider bar as well. I read Lee's info on shorter stems and also went to a Thomson 70/0 on my Pike equiped 5 Spot. Love it. I just read Mastering Mountain Bike Skills and believe that unless you're a XC racer you'll have more fun short and wide.

#4 ·
m-dub said:
Even going from 27 to 28 will make a bit of difference. Listen to lee :) Going wider is going to make any tight trails tough. Its still prety wide and a 1/2 per side you will feel. As Lee would say, Brap!
I subscribed to the long-and-low, NORBA racer position for decades. Since I got my Spot I've moved to shorter and shorter stems and wider bars. I needed a bar with more bend (tendonitis issue) and installed a 28" wide, 17 degree bend, Salsa bar. I had some trouble fitting the bike on a fully-loaded bike rack, so I trimmed 1/2 inch off each side and was surprised that I could feel the difference. I still like it, but it was nicer at the full width.

#5 ·
wider bars

wider bars can offer much improved balance, control, etc. give it a shot if you don't have trail restrictions (sections where there are narrow between tree passes). i ride 29 inch bars, have been doing that since racing BMX back in the 1980's. a lot of it is personal preference, so give it a shot....i have some friends that ride great w/ ridiculous short, straight bars, whereas I really get good control with wide riser bars and have felt like a complete tool when riding bars under 26 inch.

#6 ·
Travis Bickle said:
I just read Mastering Mountain Bike Skills and believe that unless you're a XC racer you'll have more fun short and wide.
Which is not to say that the XC racers are having "fun" out there, at least not in the same way causal bikers are. I can't think of a single casual bike that likes to suffer for a couple of hours to the extent the racer types do. :rolleyes:

:p

_MK

#7 ·
Wide rules.

I have the 685mm Easton, previously I used a 750mm bar and I miss it. I like the added stability and control. Part of this winter's UGI will be an ultra-wide bar. That 800mm sounds tasty, might have to try it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.