Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New 2 Site - 97 Cannondale M400

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  retro-newb 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey fellow Cyclists!

I'm new to this site, but a beginner at cycling. I will ride a 50/50 mix on city roads and trails. I am from Berlin, Germany but moved to the states in 2000, and since 2000, I have NOT ridden a bike.
So I just bought this bike for $200 (guess I overpaid), and took it for nice ride out today. I rode on advanced trails, and the the ride was really hard. Also, it seemed the shifting would not work right, as when I engage the shifter lever on my left, nothing happens.
Anyways, my reason for posting here, is that I need to upgrade a few things, and am not sure what parts will be compatible with my 97 or 98 M400. I need a suspension fork, new shifting system (what exactly would that entail??), and preferably better break levers.

I hope I dont bore you guys, but I finally found a hobby again, and one that is healthy! PS. I live in Jacksonville, Florida. And also, I know first thing I should bring it to the LBS, I will ASAP.

Thanks for the help!!!

Here are some pics.

See less See more
#2 ·
hey, nice bike man. if you were going to put in a new fork and all of that, you'd probably be better off just buying another bike. you dont need a suspension fork. maybe you paid a little too much for it but no big deal. its nice.

#4 ·
rookieM400 said:
I really like the frame tho, combined with the fact, I JUST bought it, makes me go for the upgrade route, rather than purchasing a new one. .. Im puzzled..:madman:
yeah but i mean after all the money you will put in to upgrading it, you are better of buying a newer/nicer bike.

#8 ·
Also: are there any companies just like that? I could take a look at?? (Ellsworth, wow$$$) Thanks alot antgrave!! (reminds me: in my ride today, I saw an armadillo looking for ants, at first he didnt notice me, then he ran away slowly! I took pics lol!)

#10 ·
here are some. i really dont know what you're looking for but here.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com
www.konaworld.com
www.trekbikes.com

those are three that i know of right now that will give you the round-a-bout price of what each bike will cost you in your LBS (local bike shop)

i only know because i'm also looking to get a new bike. im thinking a kona shred.....

#12 ·
You did fine for $200. It is a nice frame that should hold up for a long time.

Ride the M400 until you just HAVE to get another bike (the addiction will come soon enough). There's nothing a newer rider can't learn on the bike you have now (Unless you're freeriding or downhill or something).

If you add a suspension fork - look at something in the 70-80mm travel range. Pushing up to 100mm is probably ok, as you don't have enough time on the bike to notice the geometry change it will make. But keeping with the slightly smaller travel fork will help maintain the geometry. Remember in 1997, most aftermarket forks were in the 65-80mm travel range, and 4-5" forks were considered "long travel".

Unless the shifter or front derailleur is damaged, you likely just need an adjustment and maybe a new cable. Take the bike to a shop and let them assess/tune-up if you don't know how to work on it yourself. Pretty much nothing has changed on the front shifting since that bike was built - so any current shifter will work with that derailleur and crankset. Left side shifters can be found very cheap several places - I would worry less about upgrading, and concentrate on getting something that is cost effective and functional.

As far as brake levers - it will depend if the levers you have now are part of the shifter (integrated) or separated. If separate, then you can purchase whatever levers you want. I'm assumin gyou either have a reach issue, or a comfort issue. Many times the reach can be adjusted and set so that the lever sits a little closer in if you have trouble there. If they are integrated - then you have toreplace the whole shifter unit - in your case - might not be super cost effective.

One thing I see too many new riders go through - they get an entry level bike, and find that actual trail riding is tough. They feel that if they buy a lot of new shiny parts and throw them at the bike - or a whole new shiny bike with all the bells and whistles, that the riding should get easier. In most of those cases - they end up upset, cause all the shiny parts in the world aren't going to help if their skill and ability aren't up to making use of the nicer equipment.

#15 ·
I wouldn't put a suspension fork on that bike, a halfway decent one will cost more than the bike and it will screw up the geometry, affecting the handling. Get the shifting fixed and enjoy it for what it is, if you really want to upgrade then look at a new bike. You might want to replace the brake pads and cables, if they're old it will make a big difference.

#16 ·
adrenalnjunky said:
You did fine for $200. It is a nice frame that should hold up for a long time.

One thing I see too many new riders go through - they get an entry level bike, and find that actual trail riding is tough. They feel that if they buy a lot of new shiny parts and throw them at the bike - or a whole new shiny bike with all the bells and whistles, that the riding should get easier. In most of those cases - they end up upset, cause all the shiny parts in the world aren't going to help if their skill and ability aren't up to making use of the nicer equipment.
No doubt. But dont forget, I used to ride a bike all my life in Berlin, Germany (yes even as toddler, jk)! Did lots of riding in forests, even broke my collar bone on a trail once; a dog came running out of nowhere and I engaged the front brakes and flew REALLY high into the air, and the landing was tough. So, riding a bike became somewhat of an instinct for me, and just because I have not been on a MB in years, does not mean I do not have the skill or ability I had and know I still have. In few words, I do not think a Gary Fisher Piranha (very interested), will drive for me on trails or even make me a better a rider. But it will make it somewhat easier for me, don't you think?

Anyways, I totally agree with you. As of now, the bike is OK. Just got back from a little joy ride, and really noticed the same two things as on a trail. 1. MY BUTT HURTS and 2.MY PALM hurts from resting on the handlebar. Reason for that might simply be me being out of shape. But could it be the saddle or the grips? Like I said, My butt and hand palm hurt after doing the trails here.

Lesson: NO PAIN, NO GAIN!

#18 ·
get it to the LBS for a tune-up... it's a plenty good bike for entry level riding... its the bike i wanted when i 1st got into riding...

for the hands and arse pain... could be you're over streched (hand pain) from to long of a frame... for bottom... likley just saddle sore... but if after a little more time you may want to pick up another saddle...

when you get another bike keep the c'dale and put slicks on it for the road :)...

#19 ·
donalson said:
get it to the LBS for a tune-up... it's a plenty good bike for entry level riding... its the bike i wanted when i 1st got into riding...

for the hands and arse pain... could be you're over streched (hand pain) from to long of a frame... for bottom... likley just saddle sore... but if after a little more time you may want to pick up another saddle...

when you get another bike keep the c'dale and put slicks on it for the road :)...
could'nt have said it better ! i have a f 500 and intend to do the same once i get my prophet or rush :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.