Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5-Spot for Racing

2K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  trailadvent 
#1 ·
Fellow homers,

*doffs cap*

Anyone use their 5-spot for racing duties? How best to set one up to do the occasional XC races but mostly focused on enduro's.

I currently have a XT/SRAM groupset mix, Fox Van fork, DHX air shock (going to change that anyhow...) and run a UST wheelset.

Any thoughts or suggestions and others experience appreciated.

Cheers

lazy

#2 ·
Depends how serious you are. I raced a 5 Spot a little at 30 lbs and just decided to get a Flux. If you keep the Spot I would stick a revelation with maxle light and RP23 shocks on. Use Racing Ralph tires and look at carbon bars like Truvativ, Fsa or Syncros and a Thomson masterpiece post and X4 stem. Should put you around 27.5 LBS. Alternatively get a Flux!

#4 ·
I had posted similar question to Homers for 24 hrs adrenaline stuff, same response as wilks above. There were probably a dozen turners at the event, all but two were flux/sultan, with a single well-worn HL spot and a burner. Spot's just not ideal when trying to shave minutes off of a 10-15 mile race/speed loop.

That said +1 to the notion that Spot does setup well as liteweight trail bike with fox talas or similar air up front, rp23 out back, 2.1 ghetto tubeless tires (non UST), other liteweight bits. Other homers will suggest that a lite spot is heresy, but if ye're hammering the pedals and grind climbs it'll more than do.

#5 ·
I raced my 5 Spot. Once. The main issue I had was that the cockpit/position that I had for normal trail riding did not allow me to climb as well as on my XC bike (Flux). Weight-wise, I had my Spot down to within 1.5 lbs. of the Flux (~27 lbs) with pinner tires. Recently, I did a 24 hour race on my Sultan with a set of lighter wheels/tires than my everyday setup and moved the bars to a longer/lower position for climbing and was satisfied with the changes. I think similar changes could work for the 5 Spot too.

#6 ·
You can do it with the Spot. Especially if funds are too tight for a racier bike, don't let that hold you back from dipping a toe into the endurance racing waters.

I typically ride just one race a year, but it is a monster of a 100 miler with 18,000 feet of climbing. The first year I rode a Spot with PUSH rockers, RP3, and Vanilla 140 fork. Begged a set of light wheels for the race, too.

It worked well, but the next year I rode that race on a Sultan, and it worked better. But if I didn't have the Sultan then, I would have gladly ridden the Spot again.

A few ideas for racing the Spot:

RP23 in the back.

No setback seatpost.

Slightly longer stem than you might normally run -- maybe a 105 mm.

Finally, the Spot does not really reward stand-up hammering. Get that spin perfected b4 the first race!

#8 ·
lazywheels said:
No setback seatpost.PUSH rockers? Excuse my ignorance, but what are they?
Aftermarket rear suspension rocker links that took the older 5 Spots from 5.1 inches of travel to 5.7. Partly to change suspension compliance, and partly to return the Spot to stock geometry when using a 140 mm fork (bike was designed around 125 or 130).

#9 ·
Ive raced the 5psot in 6hr/12hr solo, teams seven in a all day endurance events 120km back country, we always did these for fun!

Without wanking on too much about my own skillz most of my ability comes from some natural talent and experience mental attitude, unfortunately never enough time for training due to work and work environment too much sitting on ass in office in the past in front of computer.

So mostly I was never in the best shape, but still did well and my lap times were always pretty good considering the lack of technical skill need for most of the trails especially in the 12/24hr events!

The 5spot did remarkably well, for any events XC allot comes down to tires bike setup, comfort preparation, knowing your body being able to pace yourself, Ive ridden allot of these same events over the years on different bikes from lightweight hardtails to short travel XC rigs so comparing is not hard. And Ive kept all my team Captain race books from each event and each year with lap times, I'm and info gatherer lol sue me:p

The best fun Ive had is definitely been when Ive been fittest, and it was a 24hr event known as the Nduro a few year back now it wasn't on the Spot but it was a 5inch rig the Spot would have been even bettr Ive no doubt knowing what I know now it was a 14km loop mostly single track steep ups and long steep dh single track downs very tech in some o our best terrain loved it day and night my times barley chaged over the whole 24hrs that's when you know you re doing a good event, it was tough though!

But he Spot was allot of fun in the events Ive done and I'd have no hesitation racing it in an event like that now or again in the future, but I'd want to build back up to it and be fit for it, and at race weight for me that's 85kg and that's a long way off haha, course I'm strong at that weight and have good endurance I may not be a sprinter though I seem to do ok at the dual slalom for my age LOL so its not for everyone, if ya light ya got to go with whats best for your power to weight ratio!

Again smart build a wheel change tires, bear in mind I did all this with thru axle rear hub and Pike air 20mm fork, I have secret weapon tires;)

Oh lastly must add Spotz can't forget him, hes raced more than a few of these events as well, and hes always been on a coil shock, on his 5spot so even a further handicap, hes gone from a Romic, to a DHXc to a CCDB and no Ti Springs either, and always a coil/ coil air fork, Fox Vanilla to Am1 so hes done remarkably well on his HL 5Spot too thumbs up Spotz! He put the hurt on me in the 120km adventure ride, I think I got him back on the 6hr Super D a week later though lol.

#13 ·
There are a LOT of riders who use their IBIS Mojos for endurance and XC racing. The new spot and the Mojo share the dw-link, and built lightweight enough I see no reason why a 140mm travel Mojo or dw-spot can't be an XC trail ripper.
i've been thinking the same dw, though the spot is a fair bit porkier than the mojo. i'd love to race my HL flux back to back with a dw 5spot - i'm guessing the weight disadvantage might well be cancelled out by a suspension system that lets you hammer more out of the saddle.

mmm, inline post, 100mm stem and wide flat bars for raceday could work...

#14 ·
I have a buddy that has setup his Spot to mimic his race bike (aaaahhhh 'Truth' - bless me). He has:

Runs his Fox RLC 140's at a reduced 115 to steepen the head angle for climbs (added a spacer).
Runs stans converted, non tubeless tires - 2.1, on King hub, Mavic 819 32 double butted spokes, alloy nipples.
Carbon low rise bars (Race Face Next), cut narrow.
No spacers, King headset.
110mm stem (Thomson).
RP23 - firm tuned.
X.O shifters, rear derailleur, XT 11-34 cassette... and now the bigie:
Single front ring (not sure if but I think 36) - NO front derailleur, no shifter, no cable, homemade chain retainer.
10spd chain.
Magura Marta SL brakes (160's)
Time ATAC Carbon.
Thomson seatpost, light roadie saddle.
Foam grips.
No saddle bag/pump/no Camelbak, no computer - has air canister and single water bottle (and places bottles each lap).

Pretty light. You bet.

So you ask why does he have a Spot anyway????

Cause he rips through bikes as he produces serious watts and guns lines. Spot is durable as his training bike (which includes some races) - especially journal bushes/bearings. He wore out a Yeti 575 in a year - so far the Spot has lasted in this role and looks pretty new.

He'd eat Fluxes and Truths at too fast a clip.

I think the Spot trimmed like this is killer fast. If it were me I'd stick with at least 130mm fork - but he really wanted the racer angles (seat mostly).

He finds for racing that the granny is useless and spins to get top speed so doesn't miss the big ring. He does like the confidence on the downhill and is fast on the Spot.

I also have a light Spot build. Mostly achieved by Mavic SL wheels, Marta SL brakes and carbon bars, X.O and a weight saver in Gripshift. I have a triple so front D and shifter. I have a Magura Laurin fork.

I do find the slacker angles of the Spot are less racer feeling than I'd like in single track and climbs. I don't race my Spot for this reason and prefer the nippy - lower front - Flux. I don't consider the weight as much as the handling between the two bikes....

#15 ·
"Anyone use their 5-spot for racing duties? How best to set one up to do the occasional XC races but mostly focused on enduro's.

I currently have a XT/SRAM groupset mix, Fox Van fork, DHX air shock (going to change that anyhow...) and run a UST wheelset"

My Spot has been my xc race bike for the past three seasons. It won old man sport class (30-39) this year and came second last year. It is a 2004.5 HL frame that got a new Float 140 & 5.5 rockers last Christmas. The set up slackens the head angle and makes standing climbing tough. I knew adding travel (from 5.1 rockers and a Talus 130) would make it less race-able but it is more fun on the downs. It weighs in at 27.5. I race this bike because it makes racing fun. You suffer a bit on the ups but are competitive on the flats and smoke people on the downs.

The weight, geo and amount of travel will eventually limit you if you plan to be really competitive racing xc. Sport class was fine...moving up to expert this year and competing against guys on bikes that weigh 5 lbs less will be a challenge.

This bike also raced 18 hrs or Fruita and 24 hrs of Moab. Riding a bike that plush on the later laps when your body was beat was really nice.

As for your bike: if you decide to race it, get an air fork and RP23 and play with air pressure... depending on the course. Lighten it as much as you can without sacrificing how you like to/ need to ride the bike.

For example: People that live in flat areas can run a single ring up front and be competitive. (another poster in this thread) That saved him weight. If you live in the mountains and the races include sustained, super steep climbs and sustained downs you will need granny and big rings to be competitive.

Hope that helps.

Shaft

#17 ·
_dw said:
There are a LOT of riders who use their IBIS Mojos for endurance and XC racing. The new spot and the Mojo share the dw-link, and built lightweight enough I see no reason why a 140mm travel Mojo or dw-spot can't be an XC trail ripper.
I agree, I have a DW Spot built at 27.5 lbs and it will be fine for the occassional XC race and endurance race. I plan on riding it in a few races this year.

#18 ·
I couldn't imagine using the 5 spot for racing and expect to finish top 3. for some reason, before I saw this thread I never imagined anyone wanting to. For me anyway, way too much travel for a typical 24hr or xc course. you could set it up with lock out and more air I guess and more tire pressure thin tires as has beenn suggested I am sure etc. the travel leads to less efficency for this fat guy and I have yet to find a course needing that much travel to make up the on the down side.

the 29er hard tails a kicking everyones asses here on the xc course

#19 ·
Talas fork...
Don't own a Spot, but have had several trail bikes and used them for some endurance racing (several team races and a couple 6 and 12 solos). I really liked a 100/120/140 Fox Talas fork since it gives flexibility to steepen the geometry for races while still letting you rip it up on trail rides. Good stuff.

Now riding 29ers and plan to pick up a DW Sultan for use as my trail/endurance rig - - if they only made a 29er Talas fork!!...

#20 ·
I've raced mine for the last 2 seasons. I'm a Clyde and race that division (I'm 210-215lbs) and have faired very well. I've also used the Spot for 6 hour solo races and endurance (75, 60 milers, etc.) and have been quite happy. With all of that being said, I'm hoping to get a Flux or maybe Racer X for next season.

Anywho....here's what I've found. Watch your wheels! I got a lighter set of hoops to race (King laced to Velocity) and that made a noticeable difference over my XT/Mavic 317 combo. Last year I put on a set of lighter lower rolling resistant tires and although contol suffered a bit, speed picked up dramatically. Good luck!

#21 · (Edited)
I couldn't imagine using the 5 spot for racing and expect to finish top 3
Gawd, talk aboot lack of imagination.......it's the poor artist who blames his brush~!

A spot makes a fine "weekend warrior" type race bike - it's great for 12 and 24 hr events, where you just feel like riding and racing, and not taking things too seriously [platforms definitely help reduce the spandex leg shaver race spaz mentality], and while you will absolutely run away from the roadie-mtb racer geeks in the tough stuff, just make sure you say CHEERS to them as they dust you on the flats! I say let em fly on the boring stuff....

But, have a beer or 10, and don't forget your race costume....

from our drunken Boyne, MI 24-hr classic.....which we unbelievably won our class!

#22 ·
if you are talking about the circus rides then maybe. blame? WTF are you talking about. Blame?

the reply was not about you friend. clearly we have a different idea of the term Race.

too many wankers here talking about the people and not the process.

#24 ·
FoShizzle said:
While the 5 Spot does not climb as well as the Highline, it will make a fine race machine for fun. Since it wont be a competive race bike, who cares what parts are on it...just race it as is
Eggzactly!

BTW, Ike n'Tina, that circus comment was funny! Here's another member of the Turner Circus Race Squad, the infamous "AFRO-MAN" [on a Flux]

Anyone who wants to race "seriously" is not even going to think "5-spot" when choosing their race bike.....but, for recreational racing, ANY bike in good shape will do [and maybe even a special CHUR-edition Highline].

#25 ·
jokermtb said:
Eggzactly!

BTW, Ike n'Tina, that circus comment was funny! Here's another member of the Turner Circus Race Squad, the infamous "AFRO-MAN" [on a Flux]

Anyone who wants to race "seriously" is not even going to think "5-spot" when choosing their race bike.....but, for recreational racing, ANY bike in good shape will do [and maybe even a special CHUR-edition Highline].
not kewl to make a mockery of racing...it is serious stuff and is generally very blog-worthy and should not be belittled on mtbr with pics such as this

You certainly wont see the likes of Lance Armstrong or Mechmann partaking in such tomfoolery

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.