Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How tough is the spot?

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Kasper 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
just wondering if anyone knows how much abuse an 08 5spot can take. I'm getting one with an rp23 and manitou sherman 160mm fork, it will be my only ride, and I plan to use it as a do it all bike. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what they have put theres through and survived.
Thanks

#4 ·
Just got back to michigan from a week in moab [phew - 24 hrs in a car zzzbbbzz!!#$#@#%], rockin' the spot [2003 pushed rear on an 06 front, marz Z1]. I was given constant reminders of just how ridiculously competent it was being chucked into ridiculous situations that would make any normal 5" travel xc bike sheet itself. I initially was considering renting once again, a big bike for Upper Porc/Lower Porc just for the flat out thrill of big travel steamrolling, but after the ride was over, I realized that the Spot was indeed "Spot On!".....I asked lots of it, and it delivered.

A 160 sherman would probably be just fine, but it will require some degree of front wheel minding on steep techy uphills - it will want to wag a bit. It's quite a common situation for bikes tilted up front that way...

The spot is really a do it all bike that will suprise you [after 5 years, it's still makin' me amazed]

#6 · (Edited)
What you saying hes SS or something, I thought they they were all gone in the cold war or something:D it is classic video of him though, great riding skillz! I meat to say that earlier!

here's some old school shots of the 5spot before she got put in the bike room gathering dust still looks new

had too add this me and Spotz back in the day too 5 Spots on our fav ladder ride woot woot, I'm the noisy one
https://i145.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid145.photobucket.com/albums/r211/trailadvent/Rides%2006/01-11-06_ta_spotz_mo/Woodhill_011006017.flv

#7 ·
tim709 said:
Hi guys,
just wondering if anyone knows how much abuse an 08 5spot can take. I'm getting one with an rp23 and manitou sherman 160mm fork, it will be my only ride, and I plan to use it as a do it all bike. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what they have put theres through and survived.
Thanks
They are plenty tough for the intended use. I have had 3 production 5 Spots and 2 proto Spots (RFX lite) and never had a problem with any of them.
DT and I rode today, a trail that had lots of drops, smacking big boulders, jumps into berms, table tops, drops to flat, and kickers all amounting to probably 25 times your in the air all in about 3 miles of decending. I have probably ridden that trail at least 50 times in 2 seasons on my current 08 5 Spot. Not to mention many other trails in the area that are far rougher. Even a handfull of Burro down runs. Obviously everyone rides different, but I have put my 08 through some good paces. Not a single problem with it.

Attachments

#9 ·
waterfall

frisky_zissou said:
Is that an actual part of the trail or did you hop up there just for kicks and a sickk photo?
The waterfall shot is actually a trail going through it. The other is not a 5 Spot launcing a 30 footer but I just put that pic in because it turned out so well.
Here is a different angle of the waterfall trail so you can see what it is. The trail is about a 2 mile decent, the falls cross the trail half way down.

Attachments

#13 ·
trail

greenmacheen said:
Wow. I just bought one (used). I didn't realize how truly versatile it is. I was going to use it as trail/xc only. But, I might have to think the build over now.
It is versatile, but........it is not freeride bike. Everyone's version of xc/trail varies a little. The smoother you ride, the more you can get away with.

#14 ·
homer typo

DGC said:
It is versatile, but........it is not freeride bike. Everyone's version of xc/trail varies a little. The smoother you ride, the more you can get away with.
What I meant to say is the smooverer you are........ if your a true Turner homer the term is *smooverer*

The smooverer you are the more the chicks will dig ya...!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.