Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Arrrg..........dang goatheads!

494 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CheeseSoda 
#1 ·
Seem like I even look offroad and get a tire full of these dang thorns. Is there any way to prevent flats from these little suckers? Maybe some slime tubes and tire strips - what works, and is there a tire/tube saver that does not weigh a ton? Thanks.

#2 ·
Ghetto Tubeless

Go to the "Arizona" or "Tire" forums and type in "Ghetto Tubeless". You will find plenty of info, including some decent how to videos.

Basically it goes as follows. A regular rim strip in the rim to cover the spoke holes.(even fiber strapping tape will work) Then put a little air in a 20" tube. Stretch it around the rim. Then take scissors and cut it all the way around, down the middle and let it fold around the rim. Put one side of the tire on. Add about 1/2 cup of "Stans" tire sealant. Put the other bead on. You may want to wet the tire with soapy water, but I have done it just fine without. Air up the tire with a compressor to not more than 40psi. Shake the tire side to side, then rotate it a few inches and shake it like this all the way around to coat the inside. You may dunk it in the bathtub to check for leaks. Take an exacto and trim off the excess rubber by lightly pulling on it and trimming. And there you have it, a tubeless tire with sealant that will seal goatheads. Set tire pressure to 28-30psi, and ride.

If you live in really rocky areas just avoid using ultra light tires with thin sidewalls. You could even use UST tubeless tires for the thicker sidewall protection. Say goodbye to needless flats, including pinch flats

. I also drill out my valve stem holes to accept Schraeder valves. The tubes are cheaper, and the cores are removable. In AZ the Stans will dry up in 2-3 months. Take out the core, use a big syringe with a rubber tube and shoot some more in if the tires are losing their thorn sealing abilities.

#3 ·
We've got a really good crop of "bull-heads" around here, you can pick up a dozen or so in an hour long ride... And that's just on the road. I use Specialized Air Lock (the butter yellow kind). Works like a *C*H*A*R*M* I've been running the same tube for over 8 months, and I've had to air up maybe 15 times in that entire span. When I get a thorn, I just yank it out and the hole goes from *VFFFFT* to completely sealed before there's even a pressure change. During the heavy season for the thorns, sometimes I'll stick in a Toughy liner as an added back up, but the Air Lock can pretty much handle anything on it's own if you're trying to save weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.